Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also am ammused by the number of times chevy is refered to as inferior (especially when the also include, but not the corvette). Hillarious.
I dont want to start a fight but Corvettes up to the end of the C4 run are piles of junk. Collectible piles of junk, but piles nonetheless. To be honest, after driving an LT4 C4 for a while I dont even think I would want one of those. I would take an 86 944 over an 86 Corvette any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hell, I might be looking for an 86 Corvette that the interior hadnt fallen apart in or that both windows still went all the way up straight in for a year of Sundays. The LT4 C4 pulls nicely, the C5s got better still, the C6 (aside from the ridiculous steering wheel, seriously who designed that? Stay-Puffed??) is better yet. As someone who had an 11 sec Camaro I think it is simple to say it was an inferior product. Fast as hell, but inferior.

If you want to claim your car is as porsche designed it, then it better be 100% stock. If you have changed the tires from what was originally on it, it is a bastard.
That would be impossible. The tires originally found on 944s have all long since been discontinued. On the plus side, it means we all drive bastard cars.

There are some nice conversions on this list, there are also some hideous monsters!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom R Obsessed?? Surely not.

Hello.. 67 FIREBIRD!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Kenne944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont want to Offend or Knock anyone about their cars but i think its hella sweet that a person that owns a old school 944 and kept that bad boy running without throwing in a different engine always has props because they kept their car "original", even if it does cost an arm or a leg to keep it going.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenne944
I dont want to Offend or Knock anyone about their cars but i think its hella sweet that a person that owns a old school 944 and kept that bad boy running without throwing in a different engine always has props because they kept their car "original", even if it does cost an arm or a leg to keep it going.
FWIW, my car is a daily driver, 2nd owner for 9 years now and 98% original, (NOS). the paint shows it.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Kenne944
Intermediate

hell yeah Chris! im the 3rd owner of my 944 and except just repairing/replacing various parts its been in my family for at least 11years and if i had a pic you would definitely see in the paint it shows its age!!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:24 PM
944SuperCar
Advanced

Default Fun

You know, it doesn't really matter if people consider a hybrid a 944 or even a Porsche. I've owned my '83 N/A 944 for over 10 years, love the way it handles, kept it running up to about 140K miles and decided about 2 years ago that some more power in such a fine handling car would be wonderful. It's a hobby, it was hard work, it is a dream come true. I now have twice the power and twice the torque (smooth torque) with a reliable aluminum head fuel injected V8. We Hybriders congratulate each other on the fun unique machines we've built. Doesn’t even matter what the outcome is like. It’s just fun. Fun fun fun I also think stock 944s are fun (I had one for many years), 951s I bet are fun, modded 951, fun as well. Whatever, fun to argue I guess. :P

It seems to me that all of us here have car hobbies and specifically on these boards, it’s related to the 944. There's a lot more to a 944 that makes it a great car besides the engine, but we are all talking “944” because that’s the common denominator and we all love it. A hybrid “948” may not be the original 944 but… (previous sentence). It's my daily driver and I'm enjoying the ride.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Kenne944
Intermediate

Bump!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WTF is 948?? 94Camaro would be more appropriate
Old 01-13-2006, 09:49 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom R.
A lot of people that did some amazing work on their 944s were basically booed away from this board (only to be replaced by non porsche owning teens with eyes bigger than ther skills) while others that have modified their 944s to the nines are hailed as heroes.

Why is the installation of a Chevy motor bastardizing a porsche while the removal of the stock powerplant like what the chevy converters did and installation of a bored out block with aftermarket this and that is not a bastard car? Please explain.

Do those coil overs bastardize?
personally, If the car has a 924/944/968 block, and they mod from a Porsche base, I'm good with it. When they crank in a Checvy, I can'thelp but ask, "Why didn't you just buy an old freaking Vette then?" Bolt ons from a Porsche core are fine with me.

my .02
Old 01-13-2006, 09:58 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Well, mine isn't a hybrid, but it sure has been acting like a bastard lately. hehe!

I think the elitist attitude that shuns V8 swaps is best left to that certain sect of 911 owners. Frankly, it's hypocritical for 944 owners to shun the hybrid guys, and then turn around and complain about the 911 owners who shun 944's for being "un-Porsche."

I think the hybrid 944 is everything that the 944 SHOULD have been from the beginning...powerful, reliable, and affordable to maintain - which, unfortunately, are 3 things that the 944 is NOT from the factory. Some of the world's fastest and most memorable cars have been born from hybrid engine swaps...such as the Shelby Cobra (let's stuff a huge engine into an AC Ace) and the Pontiac GTO (let's stuff a huge engine into a Tempest), to name a couple. This is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. And frankly, what have you got to lose when the rest of the Porsche world looks down on us already?! lol. We can be shunned and slow, or we can be shunned and beat the pants off 911's. I'd rather be the latter. And if I could afford it, I'd be driving an LS1 powered 944. For what it's cost to bring my 944 back to sound mechanical shape (clutch, head, waterpump, etc), I could have probably performed the conversion by now.

Different strokes for different folks. I just don't see what's not to like...an easy 400hp available relatively low in the powerband, with the balance and looks of the 944. I didn't know 944 owners could afford to be "snobbish" and refuse any part that doesn't have the magical name "Porsche" stamped on it.

There's a lot more to a 944 that makes it a great car besides the engine...
Amen to that. Especially as the years went on and other companies released more advanced engines and faster cars for less money, while the 944 line only got miniscule bumps of 3-5hp at a time (turbo excluded). By the end of it's run, the 944 engine was simply not competitive against other cars from Japan and Europe. Heck, a Volkswagen Scirocco 1.8L 16V was just as fast as a Porsche 944, and cost $10k less...and there are other examples of the same.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:19 PM
944SuperCar
Advanced

Originally Posted by ehall
I can'thelp but ask, "Why didn't you just buy an old freaking Vette then?"
An old freaking Vette can't handle 5 pieces of 4'x8' plywood in the back
Hey, I'm making the 944 look good, just today on the commute to work, a guy with his new Boxster (DMV temp plates) had no idea what he was dealing with.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Kenne944
Intermediate

I love messin with Boxters with my brothers 968, they seem to get pissed when an older car takes off alot faster then they just off the lot car haha
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 944SuperCar
You know, it doesn't really matter if people consider a hybrid a 944 or even a Porsche. I've owned my '83 N/A 944 for over 10 years, love the way it handles, kept it running up to about 140K miles and decided about 2 years ago that some more power in such a fine handling car would be wonderful. It's a hobby, it was hard work, it is a dream come true. I now have twice the power and twice the torque (smooth torque) with a reliable aluminum head fuel injected V8. We Hybriders congratulate each other on the fun unique machines we've built. Doesn’t even matter what the outcome is like. It’s just fun. Fun fun fun I also think stock 944s are fun (I had one for many years), 951s I bet are fun, modded 951, fun as well. Whatever, fun to argue I guess. :P

It seems to me that all of us here have car hobbies and specifically on these boards, it’s related to the 944. There's a lot more to a 944 that makes it a great car besides the engine, but we are all talking “944” because that’s the common denominator and we all love it. A hybrid “948” may not be the original 944 but… (previous sentence). It's my daily driver and I'm enjoying the ride.

where in CT are you? im off to danbury tomorrow.

the next time we have a "rutts hut" get together you gotta bring your daily driver. i want a ride. as someone that owned a modified 93 Z28 i can objectively tell you how much better your 944 rides than my Z28, and compare the pick up.

there should be a link to pcar profiles for hybrids. it would be great to dyno a modified 951 and a hybrid back to back, then weigh the two cars on a corner balance scale. i wonder exactly how much different each car weighs.

Who here has the connection to grass roots motorsports? we need a comparison of 0-60, 0-100, 30-50, 50-70 times.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:18 PM
944SuperCar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom R.
where in CT are you? im off to danbury tomorrow.

the next time we have a "rutts hut" get together you gotta bring your daily driver. i want a ride. as someone that owned a modified 93 Z28 i can objectively tell you how much better your 944 rides than my Z28, and compare the pick up.

there should be a link to pcar profiles for hybrids. it would be great to dyno a modified 951 and a hybrid back to back, then weigh the two cars on a corner balance scale. i wonder exactly how much different each car weighs.

Who here has the connection to grass roots motorsports? we need a comparison of 0-60, 0-100, 30-50, 50-70 times.
I'm in Monroe, CT. I haven't performed any time tests yet and would like to know. I haven't corner weighed either. I'm still perfecting the conversion but would love to see how it stacks up without destroying it (only been driving it with the conversion for about 6 months, tweaking along the way. Took it off the road for awhile to replace the torsion bars and upgrade the transaxle and suspension… that was fun!!!! Ever replace and re-index torsion bars?
What is "Rutts hut"? PM me, it would be fun to swing by if I can. When/where do the "Rutts hut" get-togethers take place? During the good weather seasons, Monroe has a large classic car show every Friday evening. Supposedly, it’s the oldest classic car get-together in CT. I shall be attending this year... they seem to be all American car enthusiasts though... I'm stuck in the middle.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

a bunch of us rennlisters meet up once or twice a year at a place that has horrible chili dogs by the meadowlands. i will pm you when the next one gets posted.

im going to farnbacher loles racing with PCA tomorrow. it should be a real interesting day

your in the middle. my australian monaro has a canadian motor and american tires with a pontiac badge

Quick Reply: Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is