Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
BMW 325 engine is straight six and is too long for reasonable clearance. You'll have to move radiator more forward.
Easy enough to do.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
Easy enough to do.
renegade probably makes the adapter.

Matt do you remember who made the motors for the original 924, dasher etc. was it audi made it for chrysler or chrysler made it for audi, or someone sold the design like buick did with the V8 to rover.

who remembers? my road and tracks from the 70s are in my parents house and with my house on the market if i bring them into the house they will be tossed by SheWMBObeyed when we move.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess some don't like the Chevys in the 944 for one reason: It's "the easy way out". IMHO,as long as you keep the base chassis and block type the same as it came with from the factory,then you have a Porsche. If you swap to another,entirely different type/make of block,then you have changed a very vital part and it's then no longer a Porsche in the way it was intended from the factory. All mods to a car with the base block/type/layout as it was from the factory,is personalization of said vehicle,and it's not "the easy way out"...as the "heart" of the car is still there. Ok,it might be on stereoids,but it's still,in essence,the same.

As for aftermarket V8 blocks...if I bought a block/engine from Keith Black,where not a single part is stock Chevy,that's no Chevy engine...it's modeled from a Chevy,but it's a Keith Black engine,and no Chevy.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Crazyhippy
4th Gear

So what skunk works is saying is that if someone makes a porsche based block 10 times stronger than the factory did, it would be a bastard car if one used it... never mind that everyth8ing on the car is stock other than the block... interesting...

I also am ammused by the number of times chevy is refered to as inferior (especially when the also include, but not the corvette). Hillarious.

If you want to claim your car is as porsche designed it, then it better be 100% stock. If you have changed the tires from what was originally on it, it is a bastard.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:36 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost hybridized my 944S parts car when it was still all there. That had been the intent of the guy I bought it from as well. What stopped me? The bastard sentiment. Not from this board though, from my mother. I was storing the car at her house, and she said that if I started that she would get it towed away. Guess I will have to wait till I have my own place. And I will probably do it with a 928 if I do it; the platform is better.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazyhippy
So what skunk works is saying is that if someone makes a porsche based block 10 times stronger than the factory did, it would be a bastard car if one used it... never mind that everyth8ing on the car is stock other than the block... interesting...

I also am ammused by the number of times chevy is refered to as inferior (especially when the also include, but not the corvette). Hillarious.

If you want to claim your car is as porsche designed it, then it better be 100% stock. If you have changed the tires from what was originally on it, it is a bastard.

Funny how the first poster to be antagonistic and provocative is a member with only 3 posts. Word must be out to the hybrid lists, and they are going to come here and start fights about it. Noone in this thread seems to be being arrogant or ttalking down about chevy engines, so I would think it would be pretty immature for the hybrid board members to come here and start throwing stones.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All i want to know is the difference between dropping a chevy motor in a 944 and swapping a bunch of parts on a 944 motor.

Is one bastardizing the car and the other not?
Are both bastardizing the car? If so why so much booing when one is done, and cheering when the other is done?
Are neither bastardizing the car?

I dont understand the difference.

and for the record my tires are black and round (well pretty round), just the way porsche designed them to be.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

What would you say about putting a rusted out (and probably not worth restoring) 1957 Porsche 356 body on top of a Chevy Luv Truck chassis, complete with the Luv Truck's motor in the front?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-...2997479QQcateg

Bastardization, or personal expression? You be the judge.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tifosiman
What would you say about putting a rusted out (and probably not worth restoring) 1957 Porsche 356 body on top of a Chevy Luv Truck chassis, complete with the Luv Truck's motor in the front?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-...2997479QQcateg

Bastardization, or personal expression? You be the judge.
a little jb weld and that baby will be good as new. i bet that motor will "pull" a lot better than the original motor.

Woohooo this is post 5,000. friday the 13th and i hit 5000. yipeeeee
Old 01-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I don't see the difference between a completely modded Porsche block and a SBC. The advantage to the SBC is it provides more options to modify it, and since it is more popular it is cheaper.

SBC's cannot be considered "less" of a motor than a Porsche simply because they cost less. That is the ignorance of a Porsche-purist I spoke of earlier...SBC's are less expensive to modify because they are more popular and common platforms to modify.

Although, Porsches are great automobiles and have many innovative ideas incorporated into a great product; some ideas Porsche put into their cars aren't as brilliant as ideas put into American cars. The quality in design of a Chevy V8 For instance, the SBC in my truck puts out more torque and HP than my 944S and has 146k miles on it with no engine work. If I could have driven 146k miles on my 944S without engine work I'd have enough money right now to buy another one.

My $1.05.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:02 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

A bastard would have to havea non-marque engine. All else would be mods. I know the badge on the 944 LS now. BASTARD. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:11 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were not all bad on the other list. Some of us felt run-off by some here and so have decided to leave the hot-button issue alone. The members here who really want to know more about the conversions have simply emailed me instead of having to fight publicly on this board. And, I still welcome them too.

Its really quite strange how this issue gets people so angry. Im not so sure why. I will never say that Porsche makes crappy cars, I will never say that all Porsches need Corvette engines; its just that mine did. I have driven both, a 951 slightly modified and a 948 slightly modified and thats where the arguing stopped. I can simply put my old Porsche engine back in....easily as there was no cutting or welding or such done to it. I just simply took the old out and dropped in the LT1. The conversion is totally reversible. Will I? Absolutely not. Its great womping on Vettes and Camaros and Hondas and If i run into boredom, I can simply install heads and a cam and im beefed up to 450 something HP. Thats a nice feeling and the price to do so is welcoming.

As far as, "Is it a 944 anymore" goes... Nope its a 948.

Please stop bringing ***** size into it, thats just ridiculous. I also dont see why someones post number has anything to do with his or her knowledge. If Ferry himself had only one post, would his opinion matter less?

My conversion has been done by the book, its not as fancy as others. Just business. Check out the pictures...http://www.560sec.com/gallery/944-LT1
Old 01-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

<====
Bastard Porsche?? see "owner"..
Old 01-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

edit - err.. wrong "post"
Old 01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

My god, look at LT1's bay, looks like an old muscle cars.

Hardly any hoses...

Fianlly, someone who agrees with me on my opinion (LT1)...

Tom, I really think you are obsessed with me, obsessed as in always talking about me in a bad way. No, I wouldn't flatter my self if it was for the good. I think it's better I come now, and read all I can now, that way when I DO GET a 944, I don't ask you a million and a half questions then.

I really, like hate you so much, mainly for the fact your the biggest dick head on here, but you think your **** doesn't think...brag about useless ****...Put down ANYONE who trys to compete you with what you know...and you tell me I'm immature when you have atleast a daughter, that is probably 50 times the hassel of me.

"O my daughter is a joy, she is an angel, and doesn't annoy me to any extent."

While this may be true NOW, just wait...every kid is a pain in the *** at some time. It'd be for the best for you to stop bitching at me, and telling me what I'm not, and worry about yourself.

Don't worry if I'm going to get a 944, worry about if you'll even have yours in a couple years.

Your saying I can't get a 944, when you like, lease a effing GTO...

Lots of room to talk...

You even know what GTO stands for? No, not Gas Tires and Oil...

Quick Reply: Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is