Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The longest clutch change . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:52 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

What I have done in the past is hook up the clutch slave. Insert the TT far enough that you know you have the splines engaged well and are near the pilot bearing. Have someone inside depress the clutch. This realeases the plate and gives you some room to twist the TT enough until it pops into the pilot bearing. It's worked for me twice now. Good Luck on a seriously thankless task!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:31 PM
MY83944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the alignment tool went in and out easily. We had to lift the engine a little and wiggle the torque tube forever and finally it went.

The torque tube is in.

The tranny became yet another nightmare. The POS lift I borrowed from work bled down and would not lift all the way. In addition to this thrill, the blocks we used to center and level the transaxle sucked, and it kept tilted and falling over, total suckville.

Decided to call it a day with the torque tube installed, and the new $65.00 foam replacement piece for the shifter all torn up . . . . .

Thanks for the support - time for another break . . . .
Old 03-26-2006, 03:16 PM
MY83944
Racer

OK
Transmission is in today and bolted to the torque tube. Starter is in, probably should of waited until I tightened the front torque tube bolts, but hey, this is how it goes.

The sleeve that connects the drive lines is not being friendly, the allen head bolts just do not want o go in right.

Like almost every bolt, but hey, that is how it goes.

Shift linkage connected nicely, even that new foam insulation I trashed looked a little better than I imagined.

Need to now hook up the reverse light switch, finish that stupid sleeve, need to bring home tools from work, you know the ones.

Attach the CV joints, exhaust, o2 sensor, finish installed the shifter, who knows -

I may have it done this month!

How long has this taken me -
Old 03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is why some of these spec racers paid me $500 labor to do a clutch for them though I rarely ever work on anyone's car for pay. Normally it takes me a full day to do it but I usually split it up in 2 or 3 days just in case something goes bad.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:40 PM
MY83944
Racer

All together, no spark.

It is history if it not not something simple.

Lesson learned, out of my league.

I am so pissed I am spitting nails.

Lost all interest in cars and working on them, sad day.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:57 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd take a look at that speed sensor bracket and make sure its still in position and that you have a proper gap on them. The other thing is to make sure you have them hooked up right, its VERY easy to get them switched, so try swapping the connections before you do anything else.

Call me (785-865-3435). I'll let you take a drive in one of my cars so that you can remember why you are doing this, and I will help you get the car running again. You;ve come WAY too far to give up now! The first long drive you take after the car is running again, and all this will be a distant memory.

Regards,
Old 03-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are a couple of reasons your car is not getting spark. Either they are gapped improperly (too close they hit and damage the sensors or too far where they are not sensing the studs going by) or they are plugged in reverse. Switch the speed and reference sensors to make sure they are plugged in properly. It could be THAT simple so don't get frustrated too easily. One remote possibility is also the wires going to the battery terminal (+) is loose and some of the smaller wires are not getting power (supplies power to DME etc). Those are the only things I can think of that has to be disconnected in a clutch change.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:46 AM
unsigned
Racer

Originally Posted by MY83944

Lost all interest in cars and working on them, sad day.

This is how I felt doing the clutch. Hang in there and it will be done and you can go about enjoying the car, and bye enjoying the car, I mean fixing the next thing to break.

Really, you DID JB Weld the reference sensor bracket. There are a bunch of things that could have gone wrong there....
Old 03-27-2006, 02:08 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

hey man, i've said that dozens of times....it will be something simple and once you drive the car it will be worth it

just today my transmission decided to free itself from the clamping sleeve...on my own clutch/torque tube replacement. wish me luck
Old 03-27-2006, 09:33 AM
MY83944
Racer

One of the sensor connectors on the engine bracket is cracked. I will mess with it a little, try and test the sensors.

Appreciate the support.

Why is everything so hard to do on this car?

Swap the sensors, sure, I can do that.

With great pain, I have big hands.

Someone is going to get a dam nice car needing "something simple" (hahahahaha) in the near future if I can not figure it out.

Off the jack stands it comes today.

Oh yeah, sensor bracket, I measured twice, but yeah, I may of screwed it up.

Another reason I do not deserve a Porsche.

New brakes, new brake lines (runner) and I see some weeping from the metal line connections. Well, they contributed to my discomfort while working under the car.

New clutch and all related parts. New motor mounts, belts, water pump. New CV joints, fuel pump, professional $7500.00 paint job, I need to get the folder out with the reciepts.

Biggest money pit I have ever experienced.

There has been som echanges in my life recently that prohibit me from dumping time/money in to this project.

If it is not something I can easily and cheaply fix, Scott gets first right of refusal.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:08 AM
MY83944
Racer

Well, the sensors.

I double and triple checked those, not only in gap, but placement.

Checked, they are on correctly, the properly numbered sensor is in the properly place.

Gap, I dunno now, but I swear I had it perfect.

Looking at the manual, it confirms everything, and as I track the wires from the sensor to the engine bracket on the motor, I notice something.

The rearward sensor is supposed to be plugged into the bottom on the bracket, huh, it is on top. I check it all out, the car ran before, someone must of changed them and mounted them wrong before.

Scott, Lego, based on what you said, I decided to swap them anyway.

Standing at the door to the car, I pray and tell th eLord if the car starts, I accept it as a miracle.

IT FIRED RIGHT UP

NEVER SOUNDED BETTER EVER

I AM SERIOUS

A miracle, yes. In many ways, you can call this one a miracle I listened to others advise. A miracle that I learned a lesson in never giving up. I take is as a sign that time, they are a changin'.

I'm easy that way lately.

Me, I consider it a miracle from the Lord and I am not questioning how, but I know who he worked through, thank you guys.

I will get the car quadruple checked, then take it down from the stands, and report back later today on how well it works, and if anything else goes wrong . . . .

SCOTT - EXTRA THANKS SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:52 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Would you like me to run up this evening and help you give it one more "once over" just to be sure? We've got to finally meet up! We're having a KCWS party at my house this Sat, can you make it down for it?

Congrats for perservering!

Regards,
Old 03-27-2006, 02:07 PM
MY83944
Racer

Thanks so much, we do need to finally get together soon for sure.

Just returned from a no issues drive, the car is like a drug.

The only remaining things to do are:

1) Tighten the upper right hand side bolt from the torque tube to the clutch housing.

2) Obtain one "backer" for the CV Joint bolts. One, missing in action. With the only two stripped bolts still in it. I can visualize it, just not where the %^#($& it is.

3) The foam padding around the shifter "somehow" got all whacked, for lack of a better term at the moment. This makes shifting hard, and I need to adjust/fix that.

4) Couple little wires want to be zip stripped up under the dash.

And the fourteen million other things I wanted to get done to it . . . .

Sorry tonight will not work out for us, soon though. Saturdays I work, Sunday-Monday off.

Kids stuff tonight -

Can not wait to pick my daughter up from school today - in the 944!

She will be so happy.

Thank you all!
Old 03-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear it was something simple. I've mixed those connectors up a dozen times in the past. Easy enough thing to do.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
MY83944
Racer

Drove to work today!

Quick Reply: The longest clutch change . . .