Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air , Air and more AIR!!!! now..more air!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006 | 02:47 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by nickg
well, my car will and does hold 10psi on the tester for as long as it's on there, I am leaning to a bad impeller on the pump(spinning on the shaft) but it doesn't even come close to over heating. oddly if i squeeze the hose by the valve, it feels empty. i wonder if a loose fitting t stat would make it hard to bleed. I run the car, and i see no fluid loss, it is the darndest thing.whe I pressure the system, the level goes down signicicantly, but when i release the pressure, it goes back to the same level as before it was pressured. I have filled the core from the top rear of the head...I am baffled honestly, I have worked on cars a long time and never saw this happen, I am next gonna vacum it down to pull the coolant thru.
Air compresses - water will not compress (at least at the pressures we are talking about). You definitely have air still in your cooling system if you see the level go down under pressure and then come back up when the pressure is released. Do you have the cap on when you have opened the bleeder valve? If not then the air just goes back into the system. Have you tried pressurizing the system and while it is under pressure very slowly open the bleeder valve? Also be sure the heat lever in the car is open all the way. I have an 84 and the heater is a mechanical lever if the newer cars use a solenoid to open up the heater core then that will cause all sorts of problems unless you can somehow force it open.

I hope this is of some help.
Old 01-16-2006 | 03:29 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

the problem with what you are saying is that pump pressuers the tank, the hose from the tank goes to the throttle body(via branch) then to the adapter on the pump. what happens there is that the lower hose and rad get pressured by it and the uper hose too...the pressure than takes the path of least resistance from the top hose to the bleedscrew...completely missing the heater core...I think it must be from the loose thermostat allowing the pressure to bypass the block and going straight into the rad....it must have to do with the seal on the stat...it must separate the radiator and block tightly in order for there to be two distinct cold paths for the coolant , allowing air to be pushed out by a pressure pump thru the heater core, the loose t stat is allowing the systems to bleed presure into each other so when pressured up, , water from the upperhose comes out when the bleed screw is opened, this is the path of least resistance for the water to come out and in the process, making a larger air pocket. that must be it! I am gonna replace the loose stat with a another one and make sure it is tight. Clint did you replace the stat on your car?

Last edited by nickg; 01-16-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2006 | 07:12 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

I didn't replace the themostat because I didn't think it was the problem. From my understanding if the t-stat failed the coolant wouldn't drop and thus the coolant in the expansion tank would not heat up.
My problem has become contunually worse as the days went by. For a while I could drive the car around and all would be well except no heat. The coolant level would be normal. Then if I kept the RPM's high, the heat would work and the car would overheat. I would check the coolant level again and it would be down.
Now...Whenever I drive, I have no heat and it overheats everytime. It will go all the way up to the red mark and stay there...never over...just TO the red mark. If I get a little aggressive with the car, the temp will drop rather quickly and then go right back up. I can hear the heater core bubbling so I know there is air in there. The system holds pressure so I am thinking maybe the shaft on the waterpump snapped and worked for a little while and now maybe it is worn. Or maybe the impellers are just not pushing enough coolant?
What I'd like is to know how to test the waterpump while in the car. The hoses do "pump" up but I'd like to know how I could measure the flow rate. I am really leaning towards inadequate flow and that's was causing the air to remain in the system and the overheating.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2006 | 07:22 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Nick, I agree with you about the throttle body coolant lines...they SUCK! I think I am going to cap them since I live in the south.... I don't need my throttle body warmed!

Maybe then it will be easier to bleed the air out.
Old 01-17-2006 | 09:16 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Bump anyone...

Do you think the waterpump could be bad? Worth replacing or should I concentrate on another direction?

Thanks..
Old 02-06-2006 | 01:57 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

I have this same problem with air and overheating. I think it is unlikely to be a water pump (but don't quote me). For the longest time, I thought it was a head gasket. It is hard to test for exhaust in the coolant because of the position of the filler cap to the rest of the engine. I had to pressurize my coolant system and the coolant dropped nearly half the tank. That confirmed the air. I changed all hoses and clamps. So far, I still have air in the system. I am considering using a vacuum machine to help fill my coolant. Another option I thought was to add a release valve in the rear right after the heater control valve.
Old 02-06-2006 | 02:24 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Have you done a leakdown cylinder test?
That was the answer to my problem, my headgasket was leaking between cylinders 2 and 3. A small enough leak to prevent mixing, but enough to pump air into the cooling system. I am actually in the middle of replacing the headgasket.
Good luck!
Old 02-06-2006 | 07:59 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

did anyone ever mention that when you bleed it, and the coolant drops real low, that you have to ADD more coolant? Not sure anyone said that but you do. If it drops and you dont add coolant, youll just have steam forever....the system needs to be all coolant, your trying to bleed the air out to replace it with coolant.
Old 02-06-2006 | 02:10 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Going to do the leakdown test in the next day or two. Do I need 185 PSI or can it be done with less air pressure?
Old 02-06-2006 | 02:38 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

One question I have, with all the challenges bleeding the system with a thermostat and air. Why not drilll a small hole in the thermostat as the track guys do so you can never over heat due to a stuck valve. This would force the air to the vent hole and eliminate all the issues. Porsche race tech helped me with my track car and this was his advise.
Old 02-06-2006 | 10:33 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim -
Works good when you are in warm climates, but in the winter the small amount of bypass prevents it from building enough heat to keep you warm.

Good to hear you figured it out Clint!

Quick Reply: Air , Air and more AIR!!!! now..more air!!