Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-painting a different color-resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
Multiply this times 2 AT LEAST and you will be getting a good paint job from a quality shop.

#1 - ANY 944 is rare (I know, this can be argued both ways). The "rare" Camaros and Mustangs were produced about 100:1 to the 944. Even Corvettes teeter on 7:1ish.

#2 - repainting will almost always devalue a car if for no other reason than "why did it need to be repainted" syndrome. However a quality respray will certainly raise the value if the paint is crap to begin with.

#3 - if you are looking for a reliable track/de car then painting might be a good way to go. You probably want to remove the engine anyhow, you are about 30% done with the hard work to repaint it.
if you spend 10k for a paint job, it better be chameleon paint. if 5k doesnt get you a decent job, you went to the wrong shop
Old 01-04-2006, 02:49 AM
grayhem
Track Day

hahahha resale value on a 944.

Originally Posted by jim302
With depreciation, your use, and the car will probably never go back to concourse quality, paint it bright f***ing pink if you want. You are not going to profit on the car. Spend your money on what you enjoy.
Seriously. I'm considering repainting my car this summer, and one of the colors I'm looking at is that bright blue on the new Rufs.

If you repaint, though, PLEASE do a good job. My car was originally black. A PO painted it purple. Open the door and the jambs are black. Peel back the weatherstripping and you see black. Pick at the edge of the seal on the sunroof and you see blue. Blue as in PAINTER'S TAPE. It is flaking off on the rear bumper and the black is still there under it. Pity though, as it is a nice purple with a good flake.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:29 AM
944J
Banned

I saw a pretty nice 356 convertible that had been painted at a 1 day paint shop that did $150 paint jobs. The paint was all rough bump and must have been taken home and buffed out thoroughly. My 944 would rather have a cheap paint job than $5k one. The $5k one would make the car feel out of place inside the expensive paint.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you spend 10k for a paint job, it better be chameleon paint. if 5k doesnt get you a decent job, you went to the wrong shop
You have no idea what you are talking about. A quality job at a good shop can easily run 10-14K dollars. You can absolutely get a decent job for 5K if you do all the stripping and prep work on your own. If you take a whole car and ask them to do a color change properly you will absolutely spend 10k+.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess paint pricing depends on where your at in the us. Here in OHIO, 2-3k will get you a nice paint job in a smaller shop, go to a big shop that does lots of rods and stuff and its more like 5-6k and up. IM sure in LA its more like 10k to go to any shop that disassembles, reassembles.

Any time you repaint a car, SOMEONE will be able to tell its been repainted, usually the picky guys like me who look for overspray in the wheelwells and tape lines under the rubber moldings. If your racing it, get a decent quicky paint job that looks good but not so concours that you wont drive it on the track. Track cars get lots of chips and scratches on the track not including if you take one for the team into a hay bail or a wall.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone that spends $14K on a paint job for a car that isn't intended to be concours/show is an idiot.

There's absolutely no reason for a shop to charge that kind of money for a regular old street car either, but like the man said, "there's a sucker born every minute. . ." Look, rather than having some body shop pay some grunt six bucks an hour to prep your car and then bill you $80 an hour for it so he can make his yacht payment that month, do yourself a favor and do the prep work yourself, then put the thing on a flatbed, take it in and have the guys mask, prime and paint it for about 10% of that cost. You'll get a paint job that's identical in quality at the end of the day.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I didnt say I would spend 14K, I said that if you take a car in and expect it to be perfect coming out you can expect 10+K dollars.

I agree that if you do the prep yourself you can get a very good job for far less money, however comparing taking a body to be painted and a car (and saying strip this and make it perfect) is like comparing apples to orangutans.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:26 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Gold Turbo? Here's what your car 'could' look like...

WoW!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:26 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Search for Rich Sandors threads. Thats how you get a great paint job for a reasonable price, you do a lot of it yourself.

Quick Reply: Re-painting a different color-resale value?