Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:16 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear camber adjustment

It turns out that since I have had my car, the rear wheels have been early offset phone dials. I corrected this problem with the wheels off my parts car and wow! The car is much more responsive to turning input.

Now, the wheels appear to have been given lots of negative camber by the repair shop to make them fit. How do I adjust the camber back there? I do not see any obvious adjusters. The early offsets appear to have been running ~3* neg camber, and the inside edges of the tires were almost bald. Was this caused by the offset or the alignment? Thanks! -Pat
P.S. Yes I tried using search
Old 12-27-2005, 12:34 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

huh? offset will not affect camber. that's an inherent part of the suspension design

did the shop do an alignment? you can adjust camber with the eccentric in the trailing arm, as well as toe in and toe out. adjusting one will affect the other.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:35 AM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the rear camber was 3 deg with the old wheels then it wouldn't have changed with the new wheels.

What year is your 944 and what year was the parts car. What style and size are both sets of wheels, look on the back and there are part numbers, what are the numbers.

If the shop had to use excessive negative camber to install the wheels then either the wheels are wrong or something else is installed and is causing the problem. Or the car is way too low.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:51 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

my car is an 87, as is my parts car. Previous to my ownership, the car had a bent wheel and apparently the repair shop swapped early offset (24?) onto the rear. Looks like I will have to try out the eccentrics or take it in.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:35 AM
tomrc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a procedure for adjusting the rear camber somewhere? I've been trying to find where I can add some camber to the back and can't find the eccentric bolts, or I found them and they don't look like they affect camber in my mind. I have my fronts at full neg which is making my back end very loose and instead of reducing camber neg. camber in front I'd like to add some in the back.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its in the maual, want me to post the procedure? The adjustment for the 944 is different then the 944T.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I hope someone has an alignment rack with proper tools to measure the angles that are being adjusted.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:31 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll bet the manuals are torough, but I've got a simple question:

If you adjust the camber (using the special cam tool) do the other cams need to be adjusted to maintain the correct toe?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:27 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Lowering the rear by way of 'eccentric adjustment' indeed adds negative camber, as I just did this last Summer.

Brian
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
tomrc
Pro

Cool, thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenL
I'll bet the manuals are torough, but I've got a simple question:

If you adjust the camber (using the special cam tool) do the other cams need to be adjusted to maintain the correct toe?
Glen, the separate tool is more for adjusting the toe. Camber is adjusted using the eccentric swaybar drop link bolt/assembly.

But as mentioned above, when you loosen the three bolts that hold the trailing arm to the spring plate, its somewhat difficult to adjust camber w/o changing the toe, and vice versa. It may be possible to mess around with the camber a little w/o greatly affecting toe, but I think its about impossible to adjust the toe w/o changing the camber.

With the bolts loose, if you look down on the car (from a theoretical birds eye view), the trailing arms can move forward and back relative to the spring plate (and to the car). All the way forward is max toe-in (positive toe), all the way back is max toe-out (negative toe).

If you look at the side of the car, the trailing arm can pivot up or down relative to the spring plate. It will pivot on the sway bar eccentric. As you turn the eccentric the camber will move in and out. Offhand I think if the trailing arm moves upward (hub center relative to the spring plate), that is more negative, and if the trailing arm moved downward that is positive camber.

And Im pretty sure the camber and toe adjustment on the diagram are backwards.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:47 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps the tire wear is probably form having too much toe, either way, rather than too much camber. Too much toe in will wear the outside edge of the tires. Too much tow out will wear the inside edges.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
And Im pretty sure the camber and toe adjustment on the diagram are backwards.
Great explaination! They are backwards, see below. There is a different procedure for adjusting Camber if you have a rear stabilzer.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Rear camber adjustment