Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 07:45 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't start

Tried starting the car this afternoon to pull it in the garage for some topping off of the fluids, but no go.

Since summer, I've had this weird starting problem. Sometimes it will start right up, others it takes a few turns of the key. When it doesn't start, the fuel pump will come on and the starter solenoid will click once and then stop (the fuel pump will still run though). Usually after a few tries, it'll fire up and run just fine. I basically ignored the problem at the end of the summer because I don't drive my car much during the school year.

Now, my car is doing the same thing, except I can't get it to turn over at all. I tried starting it maybe 50 times, but no luck. I threw a battery charger on there a while ago, but everything is working fine (radio, lights, door chime, etc.).

Over Thanksgiving break I pulled and tested the starter, and it was fine. The connections down there looked ok, too. The battery connections look fine, but I removed them and cleaned them up a little anyway. The ground on the back of the engine looks ok, but I didn't check it too closely. Seemed tight though.

Anyone got any ideas on what this cold be, or where to start checking? I've got a multimeter to test connections and such.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:18 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DME relay is a good place to start
Old 12-17-2005, 08:23 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignition switch and positive terminal on the battery. Start with the positive terminal. Especially if it's one of the after market clap on the large cable type. Take it all apart and clean everything.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:27 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

David,

If the DME relay is bad, won't that stop the fuel pump too? I thought they were they same relay, but maybe I'm wrong. I know there's a procedure to test if its the relay though, but I don't remember what it is.

SoCal,
The ignition switch was replaced two years ago, but I suppose it could be bad again. I'll try cleaning off the terminals and clamps again. Other than that, is there any way to test the connections or switch?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:57 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time that the starter just clicks and groans the first thing to look at is the positve terminal on the battery. One of the three or four ten gauge wires is the power circuit to the ingnition switch then to the solenoid on the starter. The large cable provides the 200 plus amps that the starter will draw when it kicks in. If any of these are corroded (and it does not take much) the starter will just click and groan not turning the engine over at all.

If there is no starter activity at all then look at the ignition switch. This could also be a bad or loose connector on the back of the ignition switch.

Could also be a worn starter. Solenoid striker plate and brushes. Seen a recent thread where the power cable going into the starter motor housing from the solenoid had broken off. Starter would just click.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:03 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Thanks. I guess I'll plug in the dremel's battery and clean up all of the terminals tomorrow, as I'm about to head out for the night.

Starter was replaced Fall 02, solenoid replaced again Spring 03 (I broke off one of the studs). Over break, I tested the starter out of the car by directly hooking it up to the battery (Iceshark gave me a little walk-through on how to do this back in Spring 03). The solenoid operated fine then, clicking out and spinning. I'll clean up the battery terminals and connections and post back tomorrow afternoon most likely.

Thanks a bunch for the help! I'd be lost without Rennlist!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

I cleaned off the connections yesterday and made sure it was all good and tight, but still the same problem. Turn the key, hear the fuel pump, and get one click from the starter. I suppose the connection at the starter itself could be bad, but the car's surrounded by snow so I can't really get under it right now.

Is there any way to test the ignition switch aside from replacing it?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:18 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

bump
Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
Tried starting the car this afternoon to pull it in the garage for some topping off of the fluids, but no go.

Since summer, I've had this weird starting problem. Sometimes it will start right up, others it takes a few turns of the key. When it doesn't start, the fuel pump will come on and the starter solenoid will click once and then stop (the fuel pump will still run though). Usually after a few tries, it'll fire up and run just fine. I basically ignored the problem at the end of the summer because I don't drive my car much during the school year.

Now, my car is doing the same thing, except I can't get it to turn over at all. I tried starting it maybe 50 times, but no luck. I threw a battery charger on there a while ago, but everything is working fine (radio, lights, door chime, etc.).

Over Thanksgiving break I pulled and tested the starter, and it was fine. The connections down there looked ok, too. The battery connections look fine, but I removed them and cleaned them up a little anyway. The ground on the back of the engine looks ok, but I didn't check it too closely. Seemed tight though.

Anyone got any ideas on what this cold be, or where to start checking? I've got a multimeter to test connections and such.

Any help greatly appreciated!

PLEASE!....Don't take this the wrong way, BUTT, I couldn't help but notice you have over 8 THOUSAND POSTS...........AND......YOU DON'T KNOW where to start looking?.................WOW!!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 12:18 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

This might be overly obvious, but are you sure your battery is in good condition? Maybe you should bring it in and have it tested? Just because its keeping the radio on and such doesnt mean its got enough juice to start the car.

-Jeff
Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by Granite 944
PLEASE!....Don't take this the wrong way, BUTT, I couldn't help but notice you have over 8 THOUSAND POSTS...........AND......YOU DON'T KNOW where to start looking?.................WOW!!!!
No offense taken. I suck at the electronics. I've never really had a problem with them before, so I never learned much about them.

Jeff,
The battery had good voltage, but I guess it couldn't hurt to run it over to Autozone. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Granite, Brandon is surprisingly smart for someone attending UI

I am sure it is a matter of not having the experience with the electrical work.

B - you going to make it over sometime in the next 2 weeks so we can fix the suspension or are you off for vacation...AGAIN.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:33 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt H
B - you going to make it over sometime in the next 2 weeks so we can fix the suspension or are you off for vacation...AGAIN.

I might be able to, granting that the car, you know, starts.

I don't know what your schedule looks like but I'm not due back in Champaign until the 16th or so of january.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
...Turn the key, hear the fuel pump, and get one click from the starter.
Bench testing a starter is not necessarily a good test: it still may not work under a heavey load of the engine. I would test the starter while still in the car, by bypassing the wiring to the solenoid. Just hook a jump cable to it, and connect it directly to the battery.
WARNING: if you do this procedure wrong, you can get killed! Disconnect the negative battery cable before getting under the car. Make sure to keep the battery side of the jump cable disconnected when crawling under the car, or you might accidentally start it when you're under. Also keep the garbox in neutral to be safe.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess would be starter solenoid. I am off until Jan 4th in about 30 minutes. I might have some time to swing by and take a peek this weekend.

Quick Reply: Car won't start