Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifters for 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 03:04 PM
shadowknight
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Shifters for 944

I'm thinking of replacing my stock shifter with a short shift kit from schnell or autoathority. The car will not be used on a track, I just prefer a shorter shift, Can anyone tell me which one is better and if these shift kits require any modifications to the car ie drilling or if they are as they advertise a "bolt on installation"
Old 12-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as i know the autothority short shift linkage is no longer available. I ordered one about a year ago and was told they are on 'extended backorder' and have been for a few months even before i ordered. The nice thing about the Autothority one is that it was adjustable, from what i have read in the past, the Autothority linkage set on its shortest throw is equal to the throws on the 944Racing linkage.

One nice alernative is the 944Racing linkage you can get on eBay, im not sure if 944Racing still sells them, but i am pretty sure a company called Speed-6 sells the same exact one. The one by Schnell looks pretty similar to the 944Racing one i have. I doubt there is much difference between the two.

Installation is pretty straight foward. It helps to have small hands also. Its a tight and awkward working position as the linkage is right above the tranny. You will probably need to bend the muffler heatshield slightly out of the way in order to have enough working space. Other than that, you can proably get it put on in under two hours start to finish.

The feel is pretty good, shortens throws considerably. Also adds a bit of notchiness to the shift. Not a bad thing in my opinion. It will feel a bit stiff initially, but after a few miles it will smoothen up a bit more.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

if you have trouble getting it on like i did.
take a deep breathe. lol then sand out the inside of the short shifter untill it fits.
youll love it!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:42 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a kokeln short shift kit, and its great.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:01 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 944racing short shifter. Mechanic installed it last year. Notchy shifting, with a much shorter throw. Very cool! My mechanic checked the shifter out after I noticed some play in my shifter (turned out to be a bad shift lever bushing). He was impressed with the quality and tightness of the 944racing kit.

Not sure if they are around anymore. I got mine in a group buy for $99 (I think)!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I would get one with 2 settings. The one I bought made the shifts to short in my opinion, I had to modify it. I think Paragon has one with 2 settings, I would definitely get it and then you can try each and see which one you like.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:32 PM
azmi951
Drifting

A bit OT but what about shoft *****? what options do we have? My stock one is worn and I would like something a bit more comfotable.

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2005, 10:48 PM
shadowknight
Pro

Thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:26 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by azmi951
A bit OT but what about shoft *****? what options do we have? My stock one is worn and I would like something a bit more comfotable.
I tried the Momo anatomic (small) ****, with one of the aluminum shift lever adapters (makes the flat lever round). Feels very solid and comfy, but the **** rattles a tiny bit, which annoys the hell out of me. Must be the aluminum adapter rattlling inside the Momo ****.

I bought one of the $89 Alan Gun replacement ****/boot combos. Came with a rubber **** that slid onto the lever (no clips and rubber gromets). Worked and looked totally stock (and brand new), but for some reason, the **** broke, and the rubber material split. Alan Gun is sending me a replacement under warranty (nice guy, BTW).
Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just installed an autothority short shifter for a customer on a turbo S about a month ago, and i ordered it directly from autothority. Schnell will be the cheapest, but i dont think it has the adjustability that the autothority does. The autothority lets you adjust how short you want the shift and how much side to side tightness you want (There are 2 settings for each).

Quick Reply: Short Shifters for 944