Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your 944 is the DD, then............................

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:12 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your 944 is the DD, then............................

If your P-Car is your daily driver, as mine is, then what else do you have the misfortune to drive on an irregular basis?
I drove the Dragon's Kia Cerato this morning. 2.0L, auto, 4 door sedan. It honestly has so much body roll going around roundabouts that you think it's going to flip onto it's roof at any second! Probably accelerates faster than the 944 (but what doesn't! ) but feels definately sluggish on the highway and really struggles at 110 km/h.
Verdict: Heap of crap.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if my car is down for any reason, im usually driving my moms '04 Ford Focus. Not a bad car actually, has the ZTS (sport) package. Handles pretty well, if it were a stick shift im scared to say i might actually not mind driving the car on a daily basis! One thing i really like about it, heated seats!

The other car i used all of last winter almost was my sister's '00 Cherokee Sport. Not a bad car for sloshing around in the snow. Pretty good torque also, just it eats gas and has terrible brakes. And the headlights are pathetic! Its like they arent even on.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:21 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Cherokee's peel out awesome!! Wouldnt mind an older one to thrash around in as my Pathfinder is severly lacking in the power department.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:24 PM
944TTwin
Advanced

mine is daily driver, but usually use my parents 89 camry if 944T is done.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 951 is the usual daily driver. Right now it's in the garage having some stuff done to it so I have to drive. . .

THE OTHER 944!!!

Ahh, the joys of being multiPorschular
Old 11-30-2005, 08:34 PM
944kid
Banned

`94 Honda Accord EX (automatic) until the 944 is gotten. Not enough low-end grunt. Haven't gotten it past 4500rpm anyway. Damn catalytic converter cover rattles and revs during downshifts, sometimes up to 2000rpms above where it lands. This car is why I hate automatics! Plus, it's fwd, so it WHINES in reverse! What an annoyance.

On the positive side, it has super feedback from the steering. And it takes corners with no problem up to 10 over the limit, which is all I can get away with while mom's riding shotgun anyway. And it is comfortable on three hour+ drives.

I have the great misfortune of driving a `94 Accord. Until I get a 44.

~the kid
Old 11-30-2005, 08:39 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
My 951 is the usual daily driver. Right now it's in the garage having some stuff done to it so I have to drive. . .

THE OTHER 944!!!

Ahh, the joys of being multiPorschular
"multiPorschular"
I hate you!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:57 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
The other car i used all of last winter almost was my sister's '00 Cherokee Sport. Not a bad car for sloshing around in the snow. Pretty good torque also, just it eats gas and has terrible brakes. And the headlights are pathetic! Its like they arent even on.
Terrible brakes indeed. My wife is now driving the BMW I was using daily and I switched back to the Jeep I boutght new in 99. There has been several occasions where I felt like I was going to rear end someone. Even with all that experience, I lost my touch.

Try changing the headlights. If they are the ones that came from the factory look inside and see how the shiney stuff breaks down after 6 years.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:01 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Until recently, a blue on blue 1988 Dodge Caravan with the 3 liter V6 and power sunroof. Nothing else. This one has a bashed in front corner and bumper, thanks to some probably drunk blonde bimbos who I had the misfourtune to be behind. The headlights only aim at the ground about 10 feet in front, no where else. It sounds like a diesel, since its got a bad valve or something and ticks VERY loudly. Totally shot struts, bushings, etc. A dying CV joint or two. A transmission that had long finished digging a hole for itself and was now standing in said hole rapidly shoveling dirt in around its legs. AM/FM only radio, THAT SKIPS TO ANOTHER PRESET GOING OVER BUMPS A crack in the windshield thats been there a decade. Dying electricals so no oil pressure, no fuel level, and a water temp gauge thats more pointless than the average domestic. The heating blowers bearings are dying, so it makes funny squeels and rattlings. Theres an exhaust leak somewhere... Or two. Oil leaks, coolant leaks... Or it just burns a tad bit of both. Power steering leaks. Filthy engine bay. I think that mostly covers the list.

Its upsides? Its actually got lots of get up and go. It still manages offramps faster than most people will go. New brakes so it stops quickly with the new front tires. Loads of cargo space (its transported an MR2 Turbo engine for work, and lots of trips to Scan for Porsche parts). It takes every bit of abuse with no complaints or issues. Its going downhill health wise, but it chugs on. I put 50k km+ on it since Feb, and only two or three oil changes, and with the above list of issues

I actually kinda love Big Blue. Got head in it a few times too ahahaha. Once it finally quits or gets retired, my buddy and I want to strip it, rebuild the engine, turbo it, then drag it.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:42 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

If my car is being temermental, i either borrow my dad's 04 ram(The Beast), mom's 04 Rav4(crap), or I walk.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:07 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

My 944S and my '05 Explorer Sport Trac swap duties as the DD. But on days like today (Lots of deep puddles everywhere, no need to even think about hydro lock, and the wife needed the truck) I had to drive my wife's '01 mustang GT conv. What a piece of crap. I have tried so hard to get rid of it. I even threw in the offer of a 968 cabriolet. But she wouldn't go for it. I guess the only reason we keep it, is that it's paid off.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OK well mine is my daily driver most of the time. If the 944 is out of comission or just hibernating (leave home during the harsh winters at ithaca college) when at home for breaks I will drive my mom's 2001 Audi A6 which is a great driving car and actually fun to drive for a sadan or if i am lucky my dad will let me drive his 1986 911 carrera (wich has only 32,000 miles on it) that car is really fast but only goes out when the temp is perfect and there is not a cloud in the sky. Also i sometimes drive my dad's bussness car a 2001 Dodge Ram cargo van (boy do I dislike driving it but hey it still gets me where i have to go).

Let me tell you though when i am not driving my 944 i do miss it.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beeg
"multiPorschular"
I hate you!
Kinda' like those gals that are jealous of their girlfriends that can have multiple. . . well. . . never mind, I've said too much already.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
porcho heat
Pro

944 is the summer daily, when it breaks down, I have a 92 Buick Regal 3800 to use, or my parents' Saturn while I fix it.

944 might take a backseat to a E30 once I get some garage space.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:44 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944kid
Plus, it's fwd, so it WHINES in reverse! What an annoyance.
Don't be disappointed when your 944 whines in reverse at anything over about 2 MPH. My transmission has no problems, good oil, and it still whines. Come to think of it, every car I've driven in reverse whines, from Volvos to Hondas to Porsches. I think that's just something you'll generally see.

Quick Reply: If your 944 is the DD, then............................