Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What's the dumbest or most sadistic example of Porsche Engineering on 944s?
Location of clutch (requiring disassembly of entire car to change)
31.22%
Use of allen/cheesehead bolts instead of NORMAL bolts
4.76%
Turbocharger location (on 951s)
2.12%
Interference design in general
13.76%
Dash construction / material selection (crack city, baby!)
7.94%
Stupid thermostat snap-ring
4.76%
Requiring a $700 tool to tension a $30 belt
20.63%
Whaddaya' mean there's no torque spec. for the head bolts?
0%
Rear seats (can anyone SERIOUSLY sit back there?)
5.29%
Other (please explain)
9.52%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Worst example of Porsche engineering stupidity on 944s?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:23 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
The odometer reset that shreds itself if done while moving?
Is that on early dash, late dash or both?

My vote goes for the interference engine, just because it costs us so much time, money and worry to make sure it doesn't happen. The Clutch is a PITA, but at least lasts a heck of a lot longer than 30 to 45k.

______
Pat
86 944
95 Audi 90 CS
Old 11-14-2005, 07:28 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I think it's just the early ones, although I won't do it on my late one anyway.

BB.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Oh where to start. The number one dumass thing has to be, as stated earlier, the upside down oil filter. Come on guys, this is a routine maintenance item and the only way I don't get oil all over the place is to wait a day or two. But then its advised to change the oil with the engine warm. I don't get it.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
wice.lt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted for interference engine too, because my other daily driver has a non interference engine and I changed the timing belt and didn't even get nervous (didn't read anything about it either)... Oh and I also dislike the windshield washer bottle for being so ocwardly shaped and hard to remove (mine is cracked and had to remove it 3 times in order to attempt fixing it).
Old 11-14-2005, 07:46 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
BELT COVERS

You realize we're all going to at you when you throw a belt because you didn't have the covers protecting it?

Safety guards are never a bad idea when guarding moving parts. What about the one day the businessman looks under the hood with the car running poorly, while wearing a tie? He could lose his neck and his valves.

The backseat is also a definite plus, IMO. Makes a good package/backpack shelf when not being used, and the girls definitely like squeezing in back there. It's also a good, objective test to see if they're fat or not.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 110 Posts

My biggest beef is with the sensor mounting bracket design, hideous oil filter accessibility on the turbo model, and weak jack/support points.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost of replacement parts. Even if this is not an effect of engineering, it is the largest problem I have with owning a Porsche.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:25 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
Oh where to start. The number one dumass thing has to be, as stated earlier, the upside down oil filter. Come on guys, this is a routine maintenance item and the only way I don't get oil all over the place is to wait a day or two. But then its advised to change the oil with the engine warm. I don't get it.

Good call! I forgot about that. F'n ********.. I switched to the 928 filter so its easier to get out. Now I just spill more oil....
Old 11-14-2005, 08:37 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yellowline
You realize we're all going to at you when you throw a belt because you didn't have the covers protecting it?

Safety guards are never a bad idea when guarding moving parts. What about the one day the businessman looks under the hood with the car running poorly, while wearing a tie? He could lose his neck and his valves.

The backseat is also a definite plus, IMO. Makes a good package/backpack shelf when not being used, and the girls definitely like squeezing in back there. It's also a good, objective test to see if they're fat or not.
if those belts are gonna come off, the cover aint gonna stop it. i think its more for noise than anything. i took my top one off. bottom one has a stripped bolt, and i have to spin the cover around that bolt to get full access, ill eventually cut it off, but im lazy, and the car is getting put up soon anyway
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

I don't think the cover's going to stop a belt that's ready to fall off or slip, but if something like a stick manages to get up and in there, it would help.

With my dad's car, I took a blind corner with a car coming. I had to aim for a box of Corona full of glass empties...couldn't swerve at the other car or off the road into an embankment. Rather than have the tires take the hit, I just ran it under the middle of the car. Imagine if that was the 944...I'm sure some broken glass could work its way into the belts and either be thrown at a good clip at something important (like a hose or radiator), or simply throw the belts off, particularly if the car doesn't have the undertray in.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

nah, plenty of cars have exposed belts
Old 11-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only real issue I have about these cars is the electrical end of it. Especially the earlier model cars. They got better with evolution, but boy they sure were designed right to the nats butt as far as current flow/wire sizing, the multiple items per circut and the expected life cycle of such . Otherwise, I don't think its all that much different than any other car. Nasty engineering? Try working on older comercial airplanes! Now THATS nasty! Access to things.......yeah right! Even this is evolving much better (and the more the engineers talk to the people who have to build and repair these things, and actually ask for their input, the better it WILL get....along with the "technology advances").
Old 11-14-2005, 09:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
The backseat is also a definite plus, IMO. ... It's also a good, objective test to see if they're fat or not.
I use my sport seats for that... Did I ever tell you guys I love my leather sport seats.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With respect to the belt covers. I have run without belt covers on my race car for 5 years. Never once and issue. That includes a number of off track excursions.

I do always run with the undertray however. Why? Better aero for higher top speeds and better air flow to the radiator.

PS.. Last Saturday I changed my timing belt, balance shaft belt and both bal shaft and t-belt tensioners in less than 1 hour. All I did was jack up the car and pull the undertray and I had access to the belts.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jim 7
There is a secret to getting the oil filter out without getting oil all over the place.

Wanna know what it is?

It's really quite simple.

Just raise your headlights! Seriously - raise your headlights, take your key out, turn off the main headlights (the parking lights will stay on - don't worry - it won't drain your battery).

Now, when you are ready to pull out the old oil filter, you can pull it straight out - the stupid headlight bar that's in the way is now less in the way.

Doesn't hurt to put a rag or two around the oil filter area too!

-Zoltan.

Quick Reply: Worst example of Porsche engineering stupidity on 944s?