Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No such thing as "warped rotors?!" Could it be true?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 03:41 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No such thing as "warped rotors?!" Could it be true?

So, over in the OT Forum, a technical discussion came up (really!) about warped rotors. Apparently rotors never or very very very seldomly actually warp (in the sense that they themselves develope some sort of wave or dish to them, usually quantified by thickness variation or runout). Streckfu's 951 (Daniel) posted this interesting and seemingly accurate article on brake wear:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

I was kind of floored to hear "No, there's no such thing as warped rotors," but, damn, the article sure makes sense. Are there any personal experiences out there by those of you who work in service or are knowledgable enthusiasts that would either agree or disagree with the theory? I think I'm going to move the the "agree with the article camp," just want to hear what everyone else thinks about it!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:51 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Well, I am too tired to read...but my Volvo steering wheel shakes like a puppy passing a pine cone under moderate braking. This would seem to be caused by the rotors becoming deformed in some way. If turning a rotor (making the surface flat again) solves the problem, and we generally accept "warp" as the term used to decribe deformed rotors - then I would say warping DOES exist, and any debate may possibly be a case of semantics.

Then again, I didn't read the article. I will tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:57 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by URIN 2ND
Well, I am too tired to read...but my Volvo steering wheel shakes like a puppy passing a pine cone under moderate braking. This would seem to be caused by the rotors becoming deformed in some way. If turning a rotor (making the surface flat again) solves the problem, and we generally accept "warp" as the term used to decribe deformed rotors - then I would say warping DOES exist, and any debate may possibly be a case of semantics.

Semantics, nice! The rotors accumulate uneven pad material, which makes them "warped" in a sense; the only stipulation being that the rotor itself is still the same dimensions/shape.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I am guesing that if you were to heat up a block/disk of metal or brake disk and apply 450lbs of pressure it will bend.

I know that the denser the material is the less it is subject to movement. As an example a platinum ring, the ones you wear on your hand, rarely loose mass, it is only moved to another location. Steel is a much more maliable material subject to more natural oxidizing etc.

I guess if you had platinum rotors and adequate pressure you could stop a car doing 80mph w/out losing material but warping the disk. With the right amoung of pressure you should be able to move it/the material back to where it came from and un-warp the disk.

Michael
Old 11-11-2005, 08:54 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Read the link as it explains very well what occurs.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:39 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

I know that when you check them you check for both runout and thickness variation. The Thickness variation is from uneven wear, usually from improper mounting (uneven torque of the wheels). However lateral runout I am told is from excessive heat which I would think is warpage. With that said most rotors I resurface are from thicknes variation not lateral runout problems.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:03 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

, and we generally accept "warp" as the term used to decribe deformed rotors -

So if I take a brick and dry some mud on it, is the brick 'thicker'? No. It just has dry mud on it.

The rotor is not 'deforemed' nor warped. It has pad material stuck on it. Turning the rotor cleans that crap off it.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its false...

Rotors warp like potato chips if conditions are right, I have pictures that show it.. I just can't find the file right now..
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I've had to return brand-new rotors because they were warped. Seriously, I laid them on a flat surface and they weren't flush. Granted, this was due to a manufacturing defect, bad storage or something else along those lines and not the result of heat since they were bad before they even got on the car.

Does that count?

BB.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:18 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishey
Its false...

Rotors warp like potato chips if conditions are right, I have pictures that show it.. I just can't find the file right now..
They do qualify with this:

With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:00 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i'll go with the pad deposits camp.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bader is spot on.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

damn volvos.. mine does the same...
Old 11-11-2005, 12:14 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

I have a dial indicator to prove how wrong this claim is. But I don't need to use it, I can feel it when I stop or slow down.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:18 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddbailey
I have a dial indicator to prove how wrong this claim is. But I don't need to use it, I can feel it when I stop or slow down.
Can you be sure you're not measuring uneven wear instead of heat induced warpage?

Quick Reply: No such thing as "warped rotors?!" Could it be true?