Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No such thing as "warped rotors?!" Could it be true?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
damn volvos.. mine does the same...
Please. I think you mean damn owners. Spend the money, maintain your car.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few reasons why brakes can warp. Improper torque on wheels, Hot disks and water, and possibly heat soak, where you get the brakes real hot and stop the car, leaving part of the pad exposed to air and part trapped under the caliper. Another way to warp a disk is to use it real hard repeatedly without proper break in. This is especially true for turned rotors.

We are talking about true warping here. If you can rebed the pads by hard braking, then you are talking uneven deposits.

Experts can say what they want - If your pedal is pushing your foot back at you in a pulsing way, there is a good chance you have warped rotors. If your braking is uneven, but there is little pulse, then improper bedding of material is probably the cause.

If one wheel always pulls harder than the other and rebedding does not help, consider turning or replacing the rotors. Remember, less rotor thickness means more heat soak, and a greater chance of warping and or brake fade. I have seen cars that had thin rotors that worked great, but were good for maybe two panic stops before fade set in. New rotors cures this.

Of course it is always a good idea to replace the brake fluid as well, to eliminate moisture and fluid boiling, resulting in extreeme fade and or failure, usually when you want those brakes the most, like in the mountains or on the track.

Quick Reply: No such thing as "warped rotors?!" Could it be true?