Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's that time of the year again....What's your winter beater?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 968Dave
yieldsign2, great pics! Looks like youre using it just as you should be

Do you ever use the low range gearbox? Its pretty nifty. Sadly, I havent really taken my Disco II offroading, perhaps a couple years down the line when we get another car, I'll have all the fun I want in it
yup i do! I generallly do all hill decents in 1st or 2nd gear in low, and most hill climbs in 2nd or 3rd in low.. With my mud tires (that are 3-4 inches biigger in diamater than stock) low range is often needed in mud to have the power to keep me moving. After all it's only the 3.9 (180hp or so).
Old 11-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Byron_944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
yup i do! I generallly do all hill decents in 1st or 2nd gear in low, and most hill climbs in 2nd or 3rd in low.. With my mud tires (that are 3-4 inches biigger in diamater than stock) low range is often needed in mud to have the power to keep me moving. After all it's only the 3.9 (180hp or so).
Its funny, Land Rover used the 3.9 liter (and old Buick design Land Rover bought from GM in the 50s) in almost all their cars until the last generation Disco and RR. I think the Defender still has it in the UK. IN the Disco II its rated at 188 hp, but get this, over 250lb ft of torque, at about 1800 rpm or so. It has gobs of torque down low, thats what I love about it. I have never used my transfer gearbox, maybe when I use it as a future 944 track tow vehicle, I might engage low range. Its really cool, some people ask me "You have a manual in your Disco??"
Old 11-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Well, it actually started as a 3.5.. 150 hp 3.5 was in my 87, it's simply bored out to 3.9 in 89 and up swb, the only ones that had the 4.2 were the LWB rovers, until mid 95 i believe. The 3.5 was hell though. I actually like the 3.9, maybe it's just because the 3.5 was so slow, but I'm actually able to pass people if i need to.. imagine!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:02 AM
Byron_944
Pro

Well, it actually started as a 3.5.. 150 hp 3.5 was in my 87, it's simply bored out to 3.9 in 89 and up swb, the only ones that had the 4.2 were the LWB rovers, until mid 95 i believe. The 3.5 was hell though. I actually like the 3.9, maybe it's just because the 3.5 was so slow, but I'm actually able to pass people if i need to.. imagine!
lol Hows the reliability?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Most people on the mailing lists are dropping out, whining, etc about how they can't drive a week without spending thousands on repairs and that the classics are not worth it anymore. Well, I have found , with my old one and this one, that isn't really the case.

My old one was my dads since 94 until he gave it to me when I got my license 2 years ago or so.. it never stranded me (well, unless it was due to me sinking it in very deep water), until the timing chain slipped at 275k or so..

My new one, well I only drove it from mayish until september when I buoght my volvo for gas reasons.. but in that time (4k miles or so) i didn't have a problem except for a bad TPS (unfortunately it was 150 dollars).

One thing I have found is that if you drive it, it doesn't break. As soon as you let it sit, everything starts going haywire. Ive been driving teh volvo to college since september and having my dad or myself exercise teh range rover every week or two when i remember.. This weekend I started it up, weird noise coming from alternator... get to the bank (5 minute drive), park, come out.. not enough battery to start the car. With the kinds of cars I use (and my limited funds) I think everyone in town has seen me in front of my car with the hood up at some point.. Anyway my dad came and jumped it and brought it home, as he pulled in he noticed the temp gauge pegged.. and later on i checked it out and have no idea.. it just goes to overheat on the gauge even when cold, immediately.. must be another sensor. ugh.

so in short... it is hating me for favoring the volvo.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Byron_944
Pro

Most people on the mailing lists are dropping out, whining, etc about how they can't drive a week without spending thousands on repairs and that the classics are not worth it anymore. Well, I have found , with my old one and this one, that isn't really the case.

My old one was my dads since 94 until he gave it to me when I got my license 2 years ago or so.. it never stranded me (well, unless it was due to me sinking it in very deep water), until the timing chain slipped at 275k or so..

My new one, well I only drove it from mayish until september when I buoght my volvo for gas reasons.. but in that time (4k miles or so) i didn't have a problem except for a bad TPS (unfortunately it was 150 dollars).

One thing I have found is that if you drive it, it doesn't break. As soon as you let it sit, everything starts going haywire. Ive been driving teh volvo to college since september and having my dad or myself exercise teh range rover every week or two when i remember.. This weekend I started it up, weird noise coming from alternator... get to the bank (5 minute drive), park, come out.. not enough battery to start the car. With the kinds of cars I use (and my limited funds) I think everyone in town has seen me in front of my car with the hood up at some point.. Anyway my dad came and jumped it and brought it home, as he pulled in he noticed the temp gauge pegged.. and later on i checked it out and have no idea.. it just goes to overheat on the gauge even when cold, immediately.. must be another sensor. ugh.

so in short... it is hating me for favoring the volvo.
haha. Land Rovers, especially older ones, also have personalities of their own, just like Porsches. My Disco has been very dependable though, hopefully it will stay that way.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:26 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

I just picked up a 84 automatic 944 for my winter beater. Car is in great shape AND HAS NO SUNROOF! Charcol gray body, black interior.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 AM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabeel
Most '96 A6 cars came with the keyless remote entry. Do you have one of those key fobs? You can pick them up on ebay for 50 bucks or so, and programming them is fairly easy. That *might* save you the trouble of having to manually lock/unlock from the trunk all the time. It looks that your car has a moonroof. The remote entry came bundled with the glass moonroof in an option package, so I bet your car has this feature.
Yeah...it has the key fob. But it burns through batteries like crazy!! 2-3 weeks at the most! Can't seem to figure out what's going on. I just replaced the battery....but now it won't reprogram! I think I'll just bring it to the dealer one of these days....

Luckily I live in a small town....I only lock my car on the weekends when I'm out on the town.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:46 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my daily "beater."

Last edited by gmsracing; 03-04-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

OK, STI and a Miata in the same driveway.... you suck. Those are my 2 other dream cars, i'm more into NA Mx-5's though, but still... dizzamnnn
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

There's only one word to describe how I feel about gmsracing's driveway... jealous. I would kill for an STI.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Rocket
OK, STI and a Miata in the same driveway.... you suck. Those are my 2 other dream cars, i'm more into NA Mx-5's though, but still... dizzamnnn

Your dream car is a Miata? You got to set your standards just a little higher!

How much is the LEASE on the Subaru?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:14 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have someone here at work that has a lat 90's Malibu for sale. He just picked up a '04 Impalla. The Malibu was a write off following an accident and has body damage from nose to tail from the same accident. Otherwise @150K miles there is only a small oil leak. He was offered $250 from the steelership. Anyone interested? It's a green 2dr.

Michael
Old 11-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Your dream car is a Miata? You got to set your standards just a little higher!
how about a no? i owned one and it was more fun then my S2, handled just as good as my S2 and you can't beat top down fun. I miss it dearly
Maybe you just don't know anything about them, but mx-5 is one of the best kept secrets in the sports car world It's a british roadster with Japanese reliability
Why don't i get another one? because later on i want to upgrade to Mx-5 on steroids aka S2K(when the prices on used ones go down)
Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't worry, my ruskie friend, I understand where you are coming from.

BB.

Quick Reply: It's that time of the year again....What's your winter beater?