Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First peice of the NA turbo is here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

951 turbo design is about the worst ever.

I mean who sticks a turbo UNDER the intake manifold?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck to you, before you start on putting the turbo there I would measure again, unless you are cutting the control arm or body it aint gonna fit (I suppose you could relocate everything over there but there are better solutions). I think you have the time to make it happen and I wish you the best.

control boost = wastgate on the headers. see pic once im done
Dump the K26 and get an internally WG Turbo if you want to do that.
watercooling= prolly from somewhere near the heater control valve (have yet to decide)
Dont even run the water cooling, get yourself a 90 dollar turbo timer. Easier and removes the problem of the water cooling.
oil= oil pressure sending unit. just like callaway
NA is going to need a larger oil cooler (also will help you dump the stock water cooling. Grab an RX7 oil cooler, cheap and functional.
maf= not used. im going to use the speed density (map sensor) function of megaSQ
Let me know if you need information. My F-I-L is becoming quite a "pro" with the MS. We are using it on his 3.6L Corvair motor (yeah, it was a 2.5 stock and they said it couldnt be done either).
drivetrain= when it breaks...ill fix it.
At 5 PSI that wont be a problem

Just a suggestion, since you are building from scratch. Ditch the headlights, place the turbo at the passenger front side of the car. You can use a monster turbo and eliminate about 50% of the problems of the stock setup. Additionally, using that K26 is not the best way to do what you are trying to do.

I am working with a company to have a monster FMIC made (no polish, no bling, just function), let me know if you might be interested.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats a F-I-L?
whats a monster FMIC?

I still want to be able to make a kit that ppl will be able to buy.
that means keeping everything mostly stock...

thats stage one.
you can bet your heiney that after that ill do whatever it takes to push some serious hp out of the car.
alos....i cant ditch headlights. its a street car.

im also trying to find the limits of the na engine. If i stick a mssive turbo on there the first thing...and only run 5psi..ill surge the **** outa the turbo. never get the effieciency range. and if i were to increase the boost. maybe blow the engine.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ive also asked this before. but never really got a firm confident answer.

is the k26 the right turbo to use? it seems to me that the IHI that callaway used makes a hell of a lot more power than the 951 did.
and i find it hard to believe its just from location...
Old 11-10-2005, 06:01 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Hey Campeck,

FMIC = Front Mount Inter-Cooler (a la Mitsu EVO). I don't know F-I-L though.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

FIL = Father in law.

In this day an age there is virtually no reason to use an outdated IHI. Let me get you the name of a friend at Precision Turbo, they can steer you the right way.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Matt H
Race Director

When I say ditch the headlights, I mean the mechanisms.

Have you measure the chassis to see if that turbo will fit there? I have a sneaky suspicion it wont. The IHI with the "log" style manifold was much smaller.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Campeck, are you reusing the stock manifold or building a new one. If you're building a new one then just fab it up to move the turbo over toward the front right corner of the engine bay.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

again.
im trying to do this and keep everything else the same. headlights AC everything.
nothing will come off the car. ide love to do it with the afm but i wont.
so if i was ever to make a kit. i would have to put it on another car and tune it with the afm. or include a MAP that converted its signal to the AFM signal that the dme could read...(hmmmm..frwilk)

AFTER that i may consider moving it to the buckets...or in place of the alternator.

FMIC. im already planning on using one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mazda-RX7-twin-t...QQcmdZViewItem

not that exact one. but something similar.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

also. it will fit. it doesnt really get that close to the a-arm. i need to take the exhaust off to be 100% positive. but right now im 99%. lol

im making the headers myself. (i hope.)
Old 11-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-...12511890QQrdZ1

just saw this....only downside is that its 4in thick.
it would fit perfectly though.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Matt H
Race Director

FD intercooler is too small, might as well use a stock 951 unit. The core I am looking at is as big as you can possibly fit upfront, it would look at home in a MACK truck.

I wish you the best but if you are going to engineer something then you should. If you only want to turbo an NA then grab a Callaway kit and replicate it, it was EXACTLY the way to go for what you are trying to accomplish and you could sell kits.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

I agree with Matt in ditching the old school IHI and K26 or K27. I'd try to find someone who a) has access to turbo maps, and b) knows how to size them. Most people are monkeys when it comes to sizing turbos because they are missing a or b or both. I'm missing both.

I can copy a couple of SCC articles for you on sizing turbos. Both are written by a good friend of mine who I've mentioned several times here. In brief he is an automotive engineer for an OEM and aftermarket performanc consultant. He knows how to size a turbo. A mutual friend is an engineer for Garrett so he has plenty of info on the topic.

I can help you with sourcing water.

My suggestion for oil would be to run an external oil cooler and tap off this to source the oil. It will add to cost for sure, but will make for a much simpler install.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do it like this or else
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 PM
special tool
Banned

The location doesn't have a Goddamn thing to do with HP output. It will affect onset - but some of us believe that this is MORE THAN OFFSET by the ability to use a PROPER 4-1 collector and equal length primaries - not to mention a cooler location for the turbo. Try to do that with a passenger side mess like on Weisses' car - looks like a high-school shop project. Hacked to **** - total cluster****. Probably losing 50 HP just to look cool and have a write-off for his now defunct business. By the way, my car makes more HP at the wheels, than that car does at the crank.
The Callaway design is just silly. The manifold is a pipe with 4 stubs stapled onto it - that one looks like a grade-school shop project.

I would stick with the Porsche design - they knew a little bit by 1985.

The car posted by Mannng lasted 2 TWO laps and blew up. It is less than a joke. It is currently beng fixed by Milledge.
The claimed output of this junk was 600 at the crank - for 2 laps.

All these guys "gonna improve on Porsche's work" hahaha
Metzger is laughing his *** off.

Quick Reply: First peice of the NA turbo is here!