Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First peice of the NA turbo is here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:22 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast924S
I dont see why everyone tlaks this kinda stuff down.
Because, on the 944 platform there is a perfectly good alternative. The 951. Whereas like the BMW ///M3 guys dont have a good alternative, which is why we see monster turbo M3's. Starting with an NA is like drinking a few beers before going out driving.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:28 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by URIN 2ND
But if he's going for ~200 to ~250, most of that stuff is icing on the cake and not necessary. Suspension, brakes, CVs, underhood temps, restrictor plate...none of that is required to do a basic job.
Agreed. The 924CGT had single piston brakes and did just fine. Campeck's car is fairly light with manual bits so provided they are in good shape he is fine. Also, CV's will not need to be upgraded for a mild HP boost. The CV's in the 1986 951's are the same as N/A CV's, case in point.

We should Campeck do what he wants. It's not like he hasn't read the 2.3 million threads on "How do I turbo my N/A" here on Renn. He's been researching the subject for awhile. He wants to do something different than the factory. If he does it, and gets the satisfaction of being able to sit back and say "I did this", then he has accomplished something.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

just thought ide post some prelim shots. hold on a sec and ill draw where i WANT the pipes and headers and wastgate to go.

(did you mention brakes?! how are these babies?! )
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that the new garage? Looks nice!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Megasquirt is a decent idea - that'll solve some of the problems, but you also need to consider how you're going to control boost (wastegate? Where?) How are you going to connect up the exhaust? Keep in mind that custom exhausts are expensive and a pain to get right. Where are you planning on putting your O2 sensor and/or wideband sensor? How are you providing the water cooling for that k26? How about oil? How do you plan on routing the oil return? Are you running a restrictor plate? How are you dealing with the extra engine heat and higher underhood temps? What are you doing to account for MAF limitations? What compression ratio are you planning on using? What about the transmission, clutch, CVs? Are they being strengthened? What about suspension and brakes - any plans for those? Et cetra, et cetra, et cetra. . .

You're in for a world of fun. . .

ok...*deep breath*

control boost = wastgate on the headers. see pic once im done
exhaust= will go off the turbo and follow the same route as stock.
o2= stock location
watercooling= prolly from somewhere near the heater control valve (have yet to decide)
oil= oil pressure sending unit. just like callaway
returning oil= depends. if the turbo is lower than oil level. i will build a resevoir box with a small scavenge pump.
restrictor plate= ?? like to keep oil pressure at the turbo down? the k26 doesnt need one.
heat= heatwrap and airflow (vents in hood and a custom undertray)
maf= not used. im going to use the speed density (map sensor) function of megaSQ
compression= stock. 9.5:1 i believe.
drivetrain= when it breaks...ill fix it.
suspention/brakes= turbo brakes and adjustable konis with stiffer springs and ride height adjustability on all sides.

any more questions? like tifo said, ive done my studying...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, FWIW the n/a brakes have been debated quite a bit and for one I think they're more than adequate - even for a pretty aggressively built turbo car. I probably won't upgrade mine for quite some time - no need. Remember, Callaway didn't touch the brakes, suspension or transmission on his cars, and they made pretty good power (260-ish) and were quite the thing in their day. I guess my questions stem from the "how do I build it once - correctly?" mentality. I also plan on taking my time and building this thing strong and to last - and eventually to get in the neighborhood of 350-375 RWHP - reliably, but that's down the road a ways and probably won't be done with the IHI-6B turbo - I'll likely have to go up to a Garrett 35 or something like it. Anyway, in going through the exercise, one realizes that Porsche actually did a lot of very smart things on the 951, but I've identified several areas where they really could have done better. I plan to take this knowledge and impart it to my own project. I'm just suggesting that Campeck do the same.

If it's kept mild (as in 8-10 psi) you're probably okay with what you're doing. I plan on following the philosophy of Porsche and building the car very strong for the power intended and then some. To do anything else will break stuff in a hurry and quickly sap one's love for the car - and all the work put into it up to that point. It's no fun bragging about a conversion when it's busted in your garage waiting for another $1,000 worth of "fix it" parts.

I ain't saying my way is the best (I'm sure I'll make a mistake or two along the way), but at least think stuff through as much as I can. If you think "it shouldn't be a problem", it's still a calculated decision and you've nobody to blame later on if it IS a problem. Study the 951 (as has been suggested) and what Porsche did. They got more right than wrong with it. Definitely don't cut corners.

Are you planning on mimicking the Callaway manifold for the pass. side mounting as shown? If so, you'll need to figure out how to get everything clear of the frame rail - there's enough room there, but not a heck of a lot to spare. . .
Old 11-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

red=headers
yellow= wastegate (hopefully)
blue=pipe to filter
light blue=pipe to intercooler (front mount)
dark red= exhaust
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

space issues. thats why im making the #1 header pipe go over the #2 and #3. ill have to relocate the heater pipe up more. but that shouldnt be a problem. this will also give me more space for wastegate. AND keep things cooler on the intake side.

( i dont like the idea of log manifolds.)
Old 11-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

To bad my turbo kit ia almost done,,,sorry bro beat ya to it.....t3-t4.......And yes we will be making kits to sell...all im saying......pzzzzzzzzzzz Best Wishes Lead Foot.............

DAmian
Old 11-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

um...wow.
pics?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Geo
Race Director

It can be done and if Campeck can work out the engine management I think he will do it simply because he is not listening to all the folks who think it's folly. The mechanical side of packaging the turbo, piping, and intercooler are easy, or at least it's far from rocket science. Most turbo conversions that fail (on any car) do so because of poor engine management and sometimes poor execution, but think Campeck and Airbop can figure this one out.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

Regarding custom manifolds, IC piping, and downpipes.....

They really aren't that hard if you have a chop saw, a welder, and some mandrel bends.

I thought it was going to be a PITA. I was supposed to get prototype IC piping for my turbo G20 project, but it didn't materialize so I went about it myself. I make the IC piping and downpipe myself with the stuff listed above. Turned out very good. I weld like a monkey so all I did was tack the pieces together and had someone who can really weld to the final welds.

Campeck, I think you're off to a great start on this.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

The only hard thing about building your own manifold is designing one that's tuned to the appropriate runner lengths, dimensions, bends, etc. so you get the maximum performance.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

You got to give the guy an A for ambition.

Go for it and see what happens, im sure your dad will help you along the way. Even if you screw up you will learn from it and best of all, your at home instead of hanging around a bunch of kids up to no good.
I wish i had something like this to tinker with when i was your age.

On a side note,
I don't think it would be good to have the IC pipe that close to the headers unless you wrap them good. It will most likely warm the air and defeat the purpose of the IC.

Keep it up and keep us posted.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

For all of you trying to teach him what he needs to consider - save your damn breath. I'm sure he has researched this enough and probably knows more about some aspects than some people posting here.

The main point is - what IS THE POINT?

Finally campeck, you know people are going to flame you - so don't post. Finish the project, then post results.

Quick Reply: First peice of the NA turbo is here!