Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the oil pump drive sleeve sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Removing the oil pump drive sleeve sucks.

Just thought I'd share.

Tonight's battle. I eventually won, but it's one of those things that should take about 10 minutes tops once the belts are all off, the crank pulley is off, etc. right? Just pull out the woodruff key and yank the drive sleeve off, right? Oooooohhhhhhh no. Little b*stard was on there like white on rice. About three hours later, after much wrangling with crowbars, prybars, chisels and hammers, I won the battle. Man. That was decidely unpleasant. Good news is the old one had the telltale "score" around it, so I'm 99% sure that's where the oil was coming from. Hopefully I can put it back together tomorrow and still catch my football games.

Anyone have tips for extracting that thing in the future? How about the crank pulley? That one required some prying but wasn't nearly as bad as the drive sleeve. . .
Old 11-06-2005, 12:55 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

damn,now im a little scared!hahaha,im currently doing my water pump,t-belts,rollers and seals.ive read of people doing the oil pump drive sleeve? and thought it wasnt bad.and now you post this!hahahaha.any tips or trix youve learned while doing it?btw,whats the part# for the oil pump drive sleeve.thanx and keep us updated!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:09 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normaly use a drywall screw and a shorty phillips screwdriver. I thread the screw into the seal and when it bottoms out it will pull the seal out. At that point you can nose in a set of channel locks to grab it. Twisting while pulling helps, also, get the O-ring off first, it holds it sometimes. When you do the screw trick, get it as far out on the seal as possible without getting into the oil pump housing. Either way, they are no fun.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A seal puller from a nearby parts store worked pretty well on the crankshaft seal. The oil pump drive sleeve isn't expensive - it can be found pretty easily on Paragon, Pelican, ...
Old 11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yea, the drive sleeve is easy to find and doesn't cost too much. I tried a gear puller, crowbars, prybars, etc. Finally I had to just use various methods to get it far enough off where I could get a chisel on it and just tap it and finally pop it off. None of these methods make me especially happy - I really don't like the idea of using brute force that close to the crankshaft but there really wasn't a choice. More brilliance from Porsche engineering. Getting it on will be a piece of cake, ditto the crank gears, but pulling them off is a major beyatch.

I also considered heating with a torch, but decided against it. Maybe someone's done it that way?

The bad news is in the process of prying that infernal thing off I broke a chunk off the lip of the ring cast into the oil pump assembly where the seal sits. The good news is I don't think it will affect the seating of the seal or proper sealing - just irritating. Prying things hard like that never is good but in having done this several times I've yet to figure out a better way. . .
Old 11-06-2005, 11:55 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C'mon Jeff, your a veteran at this. Here's a pic and some funny history...

Old 11-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yeah. I remember yours coming out easily though. This thing was. . . well. . . virtually welded on there. It's a lot easier to push something than to pull!

I suppose there's a good arguement for rear-wheel drive in there someplace.

Quick Reply: Removing the oil pump drive sleeve sucks.