Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interest in product idea? Replacement Speed/Ref sensor harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interest in product idea? Replacement Speed/Ref sensor harness

Im thinking about offering these up to Rennlist, I just want to do an interest check first. This would be a replacement harness for the Speed and Reference sensors that is plug and play (no soldering for the installer). They would be Bosch 3 pin connectors (weather proof), braided shield over the wires, with a fiberglass sheath over that. Wires would be automotive grade TXL, good to 125 degrees C. The install would consist of poking a hole in the big rubber grommet, pushing the inside ends through, then connecting them to the sensor. Inside the car, they would plug into the DME/KLR connectors. All thats needed is a very small screw driver or similar to remove the old pins, then the new ones snap in. Old connectors can be cut off, or just zip tied somewhere.

This idea came about just a few minutes ago when I finished making a similar thing for my knock sensor. Im making an entirly custom engine harness for my car as part of my MegaSquirt install. This means the Speed/Ref sensor harness' would be tested on my car, and I would also find a local 944/951 to try it out on in a stock setup. I havent made the Speed/Ref ones for my car yet, since in a stroke of genious I forgot to order the three pin connectors (SMRT SMRT )

Heres what theyd look like. This is without the outer covering, that would look like whats on IceSharks kits, black fiberglass.

So how much interest is there? These would come in at $100 or so (ROUGH ESTIMATE!)
Old 11-03-2005, 11:31 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that the components aren't cheap, 50 ea, 100 a set isn't bad. I wouldn't spend it tho.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine-44
I know that the components aren't cheap, 50 ea, 100 a set isn't bad. I wouldn't spend it tho.
I partly pulled that number out of thin air, it will almost definatly come out less than that once I sit down and work out the exact costs.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually $100 looks like a pretty firm number for both cables and such.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:59 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Does this replace the sensor bracket 'female connector' to DME cable only or does it include the male side to the sensor also? If it's sensor side, where is it spliced into the sensor leads? I've never had a problem with the long cable just the shorter 'male connector' sensor section.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, the components aren't cheap. I worked at the dealer, those stupid little connectors and pins are a joke, that and I know the braided sheilding is a premium as well.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:20 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Does this replace the sensor bracket 'female connector' to DME cable only or does it include the male side to the sensor also? If it's sensor side, where is it spliced into the sensor leads? I've never had a problem with the long cable just the shorter 'male connector' sensor section.
Yes, this would replace the female side. To replace the male side, it would be easiest to buy a whole new sensor.

On my car at least, it was the female side that was cracked and broken. And thats the side that holds it all together with the spring clip.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:21 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine-44
Like I said, the components aren't cheap. I worked at the dealer, those stupid little connectors and pins are a joke, that and I know the braided sheilding is a premium as well.
None of these parts would be ordered through Porsche thankfully!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:32 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

After doing a lot of research it looks as though the male end it was a PITA. The AMP 3 pole connector was a form fitted molding.

The female ends are easy enough to replace. There are several places to get them. The real trick is going to be getting it all put back together once you splice, making sure that all the wires are the same length as when you started.

Used sensors damaged can run $25 a pair if someone has clean flywheel ends. If it is tested even more, closer to $65 each used. New is over $100.

For those that need to replace them a kit would be best. 6 wire connectors, 2 couplings (male and female) and 3-4 inches of spare wire.

If the sensors are not beat up, the replacement should be easy.

If the sensors are beat up and the original terminal is good the kit is useless. Just splice and heat wrap.

Michael

Quick Reply: Interest in product idea? Replacement Speed/Ref sensor harness