Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

334hp 2.5L N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:11 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I'd highly recommend talking with Jon Milledge if you're serious. He's doing development work on the S engine these days and I suspect much of what he finds out should help you greatly. He has cams for your car and with this S engine development program should be able to recommend a header that works.

Does the S2 have an MAF or an AFM? If you have a MAF you should be OK for engine management as it should accomodate reasonable changes in VE OK. If you have an AFM you will likely have to play with engine management since changes in VE will not be accompanied by additional fuel that will be needed.
the afm will support as much hp as that square hole will allow, injectors will max out well before the afm does
Old 11-04-2005, 07:38 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

I've got a friend with a build e30 m3 that I've driven a few times...its pretty damn quick and I like the more linear power of a n/a engine. I find it kind of odd that so many people build these engines yet no one touches the n/a porsches. ( I think the reason is that since a turbo model is available and is indeed easier, most people will go with that)

It got me thinking about building a 944 S2 engine. I figure bore it out to 3.2L and nikasil coat the block (no sleeving), use pistons to get about 11.5:1 comp ratio, headwork, knife edge/cross drill/lighten/balance the crank, get some custom cams ground, convert to solid lifter valve train to allow for higher revving, build a short runner intake manifold, get a nice header and full exhaust with a megasquirt engine management and run a MAP sensor you could get some good power.

300 hp with this engine would be 93.75 hp/liter...320 hp obviously woud be 100 hp/liter, both of which I think are pretty reasonable...

That being said, I'm still going with a 951. Although I think building an S2 as detailed above would be a fun project and in the end I believe it would be quite rewarding, the fact of the matter is that it hasn't been done before, and the 951 is proven to make power...
Old 11-04-2005, 08:39 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone know what the most powerful four-cylinder production engine is?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 944CS
the afm will support as much hp as that square hole will allow, injectors will max out well before the afm does
Perhaps, but an AFM is VE sensitive while a MAF is not. If you adjust VE with a AFM equipped car you have to adjust other things to compensate. Since a MAF measures air mass essentially directly, changes in VE don't matter to the sensor or ECU.

So, the original question is still open.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:46 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Does anyone know what the most powerful four-cylinder production engine is?
NA I believe is the one in the Honda S2000. I'm not sure about forced induction.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:50 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
NA I believe is the one in the Honda S2000. I'm not sure about forced induction.
Sorry, I should have added most powerful "N/A" engine.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:52 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From Honda's site:

" Sometimes numbers alone can tell a thrilling tale. The 2.2-liter engine in the S2000 produces power that belies its displacement.

It's also amazingly lightweight and compact thanks to exact engineering and advanced materials. The result is a high-revving powerplant, making an impressive 237 hp at 7800 RPM's and 162 lb.-ft. of torque at 6800 RPM's. Take those forceful figures, factor in performance-oriented gearing, and the S2000 driver is treated to driving exhilaration without comparison. Now specs alone can't fully portray on-the-pavement fun. But the numbers just don't lie—and they can even be poetry in motion. "
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
I've got a friend with a build e30 m3 that I've driven a few times...its pretty damn quick and I like the more linear power of a n/a engine. I find it kind of odd that so many people build these engines yet no one touches the n/a porsches. ( I think the reason is that since a turbo model is available and is indeed easier, most people will go with that)
I think in general you've hit the nail on the head. However, the other group of cars that I'm intimately familiar with are the Nissans powered by the SR20DE engine. There is a factory turbo engine available in Japan and they make their way to the states for cheap (less than $2k). While they are very popular and the non-turbo engine can be turbocharged pretty easily and reliably with no change in CR (9.5:1 stock), there are still a fair number of folks who build high output NA engines for them and development continues despite the fact the engine has not been sold in any car in this country for a few years now. I've had both a nicely massaged factory turbo engine and have build one of a handful of extremely modified NA engines.

I think that most people go the turbo route because it is easier, but also because there are so many people who wrongly believe that nothing can be done for the NA. I also believe that there is a good market for NA mods that produce good results (as long as the vendors don't try to suck the customer's wallet dry). How many times have we seen posts from folks who want more power but don't want to buy a 951 because they just got done restoring their 944 and don't want to start over with a 951? There IS a market out there for mods that will produce 200 bhp for $3k or less. I'm totally convinced of this.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:55 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The 968 makes 240@6,200 rpm and 225 ft/lbs @ 4,100 rpm. hmmmm
Old 11-04-2005, 09:23 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

63 more ft lbs to boot!

I was just looking up audi s4 specs, and was fairly surprised that it only has 250 hp stock.
I know with mods they can be very powerful, just surprises me coming from a v6 twin turbo

Quick Reply: 334hp 2.5L N/A?