Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cone filter for 1991 944 S2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 12:22 PM
CVambience
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cone filter for 1991 944 S2

I am planning to get a cone filter for my S2 (I currently have a K&N flat filter in the stock air box). Please help me w/ the following, many thanks!

1. Is the cone filter offered at www.9xauto.com a good choice? It sells for $185, which seem a bit pricy. Where can I get a similar product at cheaper price?

2. Will this mod boost more hp? Or just the "impression" of more hp? quicker response at least?

3. I live in a dusty area (southern Taiwan). Will this mod make my engine more vulnerable since more dust would likely enters the engine?

4. In addition, does a throttle response cam makes a S2 response more quickerly? Where can I get one?

Many thanks,
Eric
Old 10-23-2005, 12:44 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Eric,
I don't think that an S2 has a throttle cam, so a throttle response cam wouldn't make any sense. At least that's as far as I know.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah, the S2 does not take a throttle came like the other cars. There are not many bolt-on options for the S2.

I have a K&N in the airbox. I was going to put a cone, but since i won't gain anything- let me save $150. I have chipped my car though. That helped somewhat. The cone will ony change the sound of the S2. We have gone over this a million times on rennlist. There is no big HP gains, and minimal gain of anything with a cone. Porsche just engineered it very tight. To see the gain you would have to change everything after the cone too. Throttle body, intake, headers, exhaust, probably do some engine work too.

Personally if you are going to get a cone, you might want to look at www.evoms.com
Evolution motorsport has a good rep. There cone won't be too much different, but you KNOW they test their products well. So they fully back their stuff. Again, no promises of gain though.

If you are in a really dusty place like you say, if might be easier to stick with the airbox since getting to that area of the car on an S2 is a major annoyance.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:04 PM
CVambience
Advanced

Thanks for all your valuable comments.
I looked up www.evoms.com just now. How does their cone filter compare to that of K&N?
More info on the throttle body please. Does big bore throttle body simply dump more gas into the engine?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 10-23-2005, 01:11 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

What sort of change to the sound of the engine does the evolution motorsports cone air filter make? Is the resulting sound a bit deeper and throatier? Does anyone have before and after sound files someplace?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Eric,

Save your money and don't buy a cone air filter "conversion" kit. Make your own. I'm not very familiar with the exact location and angle of the S2 intake, however, on my 968 engine I very easily converted to a cone K&N with only a few dollars (not including the $60 or so for the filter). Just use your imagination, some rubber/silicone connectors, and PVC pipe.

-Matt

Old 10-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

The S2 air filter is in the front bumper under the nose panel, its not in the engine bay.

The filter on the Evolution motorsport is justl ike a K&N. The different is in piping design, bends, etc...

It will make your engine sound throatier, a bit more aggressive. The S2 whines like a supercharger almost, but not quite. It has a mechanical whine from the 16valves. So you retain that sound, but instead of having a WAAAAHHHHH sound.....it goes kinda like.....RRRROOOOOOWHAAAAAAA HAHA. If that helps. You get your sound...AND a low roar right before the standard sound.

No, a throttle body that has been bored out allows more air to flow into the intake.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Listen to my first sound clip in my signature... "S2 roars" that will give you an idea.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:28 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Yea, I've already listened to that. I like it.

It'll have to add one of these to my spring list, but after I do the struts, bushings, M030 or equiv sways, and new tires. Good thing that it's a less expensive modification. :-) Perhaps by mid-season.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:33 PM
CVambience
Advanced

Tony,

Where can I get a big throttle body for S2?

Eric
Old 10-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Um...try www.speedforceracing.com

Their products are awesome. A few of the other tuners might offer, but im not 100% positive. They also offer bigger intake for S2 as well.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

A bigger throttle body would allow more airflow if the stock one was too small or if you got a bigger cam, bigger valves, improved exhaust, etc. Without other significant improvements it's just a waste of money. You can reroute the water line to the throttle body area for a dollar or two and probably get more of an effect than goofy stuff like a cone filter or a larger throttle body on an otherwise stock engine.

On the other hand if you mod your motor so you can brag about it in t he McDonalds parking lot and claim 40 more HP and 'improved throttle response' (the warcry of the ricer bolt-on fanatic) then go nuts. Be sure to put on lots of stickers.

...not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old 10-23-2005, 04:02 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I switched to a cone filter in my '85 944 NA. The sound got deeper and more aggressive, but I actually lost horsepower. I just recently switched back to the stock airbox and there was a noticeable increase in power. I'm not sure if the S2 would suffer the same effects. Basically, if you convert to cone, make sure you have some kind of housing with tubing to draw air from outside of the engine bay (fender, nose panel, etc.).
Old 10-23-2005, 04:12 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The S2 filters are located in the nose where the intercoolers on the turbos are...it's always fresh cool air.

I had installed one of 9x.com's kits and saw no gains whatsoever. I am now back to running the stock airbox.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

The S2 intake IS outside of the engine bay! It gets air directly from outside! The front two slits where the front license plate would go is where the air intake is! Air would hit the cone virtually directly!

Yes, a throttle body alone on our cars probably won't do anything. The whole chain of parts needs to be enlarged to see a difference. Contact SFR and see what they have to say since they make parts for the whole thing pretty much. They also offer a supercharger for the S2 which gives it about 100hp.

Our cars don't NEED high horsepower to be effective. If you have good suspension and brakes, and know how to drive an S2, you can keep momentum up and not HAVE to slow down as much. (talking track here) There is a turbo kit for the S2 from Powerhaus. They can boost it to over 500hp. MONSTER. I can get my wheels to break on dry with my S2 and I have S03 tires. If I had an extra 100hp, im sure the car would be a lot more...interesting to drive. I don't feel its lacking anything though. If the S2 got more powerful, I think it would need a taller 1st and 2nd gear as well.

Quick Reply: cone filter for 1991 944 S2