Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATED! New Alpine stereo is INSTALLED!...and gifts from the Porsche Museum!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default UPDATED! New Alpine stereo is INSTALLED!...and gifts from the Porsche Museum!

What's up guys,

I just booked in to have a new Alpine head unit, iPod interface, and 4 Boston speakers installed on my car...I'm psyched!!! I've waited SO LONG to have a car with a decent sound system...and now it will become a reality...

I'm looking forward to having my iPod hooked up, I'll be able to control it through the head unit! Right now I'm surviving with my iTrip and my shotty stock Blaupunkt tape deck and the 20 year-old paper speakers...I can't wait to experience the difference! I didn't go all out and get an amp and subs, I just wanted good basic sound...and honestly, anything will sound better than what I have now...
I'll post up a pic when it's all done and installed.

What have you guys gone with for stereos?

Oh yeah, and check out what my ex-gf brought me back from the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, she just went on a month and a half tour of Europe with her girlfriend.

A Porsche Museum Catalogue, brochure, a book on the 911 Turbo in German and a magazine, all in a really nice plastic bag...even the bag is nice! And a really nice limited edition T-Shirt! I'm stoked!!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Friendan; 10-19-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:36 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at what sounds like the same head unit / speaker combo. Which Alpine unit did you go with?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:10 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I installed a Pioneeer DEH-P3700MP deck a couple months ago. Good deck for the $$ I think. Couldn't find a Blau....
Loving the MP3 capabilities, but man, I gotta figure out something else for the speakers. I don't want to cut into my carpet covering the wells, and I don't want to rip open my panelling.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:53 AM
Friendan
Drifting

I'm getting the Alpine CDA-9847...decent midrange model, and from what I've found is better than other comparable units.

The speakers are Boston FX7E 4X6...there was actually a typo on the price tag, so I got them about $30/pair cheaper

He also misquoted the Alpine Ipod Interface Box (the unit that hooks up and charges the iPod) off the top of his head; it turned out to be actually $40 more when I saw it on display, before he wrote up the quote...

Check out this site http://www.alpine-usa.com/ and click on "Take your iPod for a drive"
It's not a flawless system yet, but Alpine is the best out there for iPod compatibility right now.

Wolfe, I'm totally with you on the speaker thing, I don't want my car cut up at all, that's why I'm just going with good 4X6's. The fronts are a piece of cake to do, but for the rears, sorry to say that the panels have to come off.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Friendan; 10-14-2005 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:58 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done 4 of 5 different installs and none of them ever sounded great. The 944 just isnt a great platform for audio. To do it right adds too much weight.

I am working on a system for my Stealth right now. It is going to be slick.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:20 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt H
I have done 4 of 5 different installs and none of them ever sounded great. The 944 just isnt a great platform for audio. To do it right adds too much weight.

I am working on a system for my Stealth right now. It is going to be slick.
Yeah, I guess it depends on what you're after, and what you're used to. A song on my stereo sounds like the lead singer is singing into a pillow, so anything will sound better. Combined with the SOLID PERFORMANCE of the iTrip, it's quite the musical treat to sit in my car right now.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

i have a DEH-3600 or so... good enough HU for sure. For speakers, I'll just get some Premier Revs or something and be happy... Exhaust is loud anyway, lol.
~Eyal
Old 10-14-2005, 10:49 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I have the DEH-4700. So far I really like it. A friend who owns an audio shop hooked me up wit hsome good Planet Audio speakers (not the best but far better than stock). I have 6x9 in the rear cubbies and 4x6 in the doors. Sounds as good as I could expect without an amp and sub.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:55 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I highly recommend the Kenwood WOOX mini sub. I have Audioquest 4x6 front speakers, and the WOOX for bass, and I think I'm getting decent sound compared to the bone-stock lameness!

I wanna get that Alpine! Does it need to be hooked directly to the battery, or can it be plugged into the harness?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:58 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Friendan--you should love it. I have a CDA-9835 with XM and iPod interface that was formerly installed in my 993...Also have a 5 channel JL Audio amp and 2x6" JL 6W0 woofers in custom boxes behind the driver and pass seat that sound INCREDIBLE....I agree with you that the Alpine interface is the best out there, just make sure you set your playlists up well or it can be a bitch to find what you want to hear....

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:19 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Friendan
Oh yeah, and check out what my ex-gf brought me back from the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, she just went on a month and a half tour of Europe with her girlfriend.

A Porsche Museum Catalogue, brochure, a book on the 911 Turbo in German and a magazine, all in a really nice plastic bag...even the bag is nice! And a really nice limited edition T-Shirt! I'm stoked!!!
Wow...what an ex !
Old 10-14-2005, 02:17 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Andy--I don't think you have to run a seperate line to your battery unless you install an aftermarket amp [which I recommend if you get any decent speakers]. The head unit I think can be plugged straight in to the dash [don't quote me on that though!]
Old 10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Wow...what an ex !
Yeah...tell me about it...

I'm pretty sure they are just using the existing wiring harness for the Alpine, Andy...no special connections or parts required.

streckfu, how was it for fitting 6X9's in the rear? Did you run into any problems or need custom mountings or anything?

vento, I usually listen to my music according to playlist anyways, but I do understand I may need to learn a certain system about setting them up.

Don't worry guys, I'll do a full report on my new sound system when it's all in.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:35 PM
89AZ944
Racer

Brendan-

Please inculde details on how you mount the front 4X6- I know that some speakers have to be flush mounted with aftermarket grills to clear the power window.......

Nice choice of componets.......
Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Thanks man...

I'll be sure to let you know what they did, I specifically said not to do it if it won't look stock. You really just need a slim 4X6 for the fronts, and I'm getting the "euro" style, meaning that the actual mounting bracket on the speaker is different than those for a domestic or more common import.

Quick Reply: UPDATED! New Alpine stereo is INSTALLED!...and gifts from the Porsche Museum!