Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATED! New Alpine stereo is INSTALLED!...and gifts from the Porsche Museum!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 04:18 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Friendan
Wolfe, I'm totally with you on the speaker thing, I don't want my car cut up at all, that's why I'm just going with good 4X6's. The fronts are a piece of cake to do, but for the rears, sorry to say that the panels have to come off.
Yeah, the fronts were easy. The tought part was finding a figgin' speaker that would fit the 924S. I got stuck with a pair of cheapo Profiles. They still sound better than the rotted Blau's though. But still, not good.
I'm considering doing a velcro job on some 6x9 boxes in the back hatch.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:19 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Yeah, the fronts were easy. The tought part was finding a figgin' speaker that would fit the 924S. I got stuck with a pair of cheapo Profiles. They still sound better than the rotted Blau's though. But still, not good.
I'm considering doing a velcro job on some 6x9 boxes in the back hatch.
Isn't your dash the same as the early 944? If so you can get 5 1/4 inch round speakers in the door which will sound a hell of a lot better than the 4x6 stock. Had this setup in my old 944. Actually still have the spacers and speakers (Infinity 5 1/4 inch components 5000cs) if anyone is interested.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:08 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You put round speakers in the doors? I had an 83 before my 86, and the door panel holes are still rectangular...what did it look like?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:18 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

It looked like this: (All for sale if anyone is interested)
Attached Images   

Last edited by jeeper31; 10-17-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:36 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will just stick with the factory Porsche cassette deck complete with logo and name. Wouldnt trade it for anything!
I have got a mp3 player and fm transmitter so I can listen to some decent music tho! Cassettes are soooooo hard to find nowadays! LOL
Great stuff from Stuttgart BTW. I still like my gear from the Taj tho!
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Hmm...I don't doubt you got better sound with that setup, but it just doesn't do it for me...I really prefer the stealth stock look.

Beeg, I use my iPod with the fm transmitter too, and it just doesn't cut it for me. I NEED good sound!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youll like that Alpine, I love my 9815.

Does that model have the Digital Time Correction?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Ezra944
Intermediate

Friendan- How do you like the Alpine? i just recently put the same head unit in my 944. Its great with the iPod and that the unit can play the satelite radio. I absolutley love the Alpine.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:23 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Friendan - what kind of shop are you having do the work? I would like to upgrade my speaker and add a self-powered sub, but I'm afraid to take it somewhere that will rip it up. Are you giving them a tutorial on how to replace the rears? Do they have specific experience with '44's?

I got a really good deal on a nice Kenwood Excelon unit...it's a year or so old, I'll post the model number when I can remember it. I was an Alpine guy for a long time, but it's been surprisingly easy to change.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:07 AM
Friendan
Drifting

I get my stereo installed tomorrow morning! (Well, it's late...so actually in a few hours )

I'm not sure if the stereo has digital time correction, but it is one of the better units, and can handle pretty much anything, like if I want to get an amp/equalizer/sub etc later on. Like Ezra says, it's Sirius-ready too, so I can get satellite radio if I want.

ljibis, I'm having a very reputable stereo shop install the stereo. I shopped around alot, and I could have easily gone the Best Buy Route: pay for a crappier deck, and have some $8/hour kids rip up the inside of my car. But I decided to pay a bit more, get good components, and talk to the guy at this shop I'm going to, who told me about their history and reputation, and that a couple of his guys have 20 years experience or more. Oh, and they have worked on 944's before, and I reminded them about the finnicky rear panels before they quoted me.

I was looking at the Kenwood Excelon, but I got the Alpine for less than the Kenwood, and I'm pretty sure it's a better deck.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:33 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

I have the Alpine 9813 and love it. Presently have Boston Acoustics 4" components in the front and Infinity 4x6 plates in the rear under the windows. Running the KLA sub on the rear passenger cubby with an Alpine amp in the drriver's rear cubby.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Well guys, IT'S DONE!!!

And OH MY GOD! I'm in heaven!!! I absolutely LOVE this new stereo!

I picked up the car this afternoon, and I've had a HUGE grin on my face all day...I was VERY pleased with the service I received, I feel I got a good deal, and the guy seemed to care about my car as much as I did. One thing did change though, the Boston's were too tight a fit in the doors, so he put in some Alpines at the same price!
He introduced me to the tech guy who put it in when I got there in the morning; the guy has like 25 years experience, and he was nice too. Afterwards, the salesguy came out and sat in the car with me, showed me how it worked, and made sure I was happy.
He even told me this: They had the speakers all wired up with the stock wiring, and they weren't happy with the sound. So they actually rewired all 4 speakers with new wiring, and ate the cost!
And they even found money under the seat and left it on my ashtray, instead of pocketing it...

So now I have a sleek new head unit that controls ALL of my music, through my iPod, that hides comfortably in the glovebox! It's really cool...if you imagine for a moment that you don't have an iPod, it's just like turning on the radio or popping in a CD, but instead I get to hear WHATEVER I WANT, AS MUCH AS I WANT.

I was skeptical of the navigation system through the deck for the iPod, but I'm actually ok with it...it's a little slow scrolling through the playlists (I guess because it has to process it or something), and because the display has big letters, I might need to rename some playlists and so forth just to make it easier to whip through...but all in all, I'm friggin stoked! The iPod also charges while in use, so if I take it somewhere it's fully charged!

So, finally here it is:

Pic 1 - The old stock Blau and CRUMBLING (literally) speakers
Pic 2 - My new equipment!
Pic 3 - The new install! iPod hides away nicely, and when I leave the car, I disconnect it and throw the faceplate in the case, grab them and go!
Attached Images    
Old 10-19-2005, 01:27 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
I have done 4 of 5 different installs and none of them ever sounded great. The 944 just isnt a great platform for audio. To do it right adds too much weight.

I am working on a system for my Stealth right now. It is going to be slick.
I had help but I didnt the install myself in the 930 and with equal (or better) components I dont think it sounds as good as the professional install I had done in my 951 about 6 years ago.

I got all the 930 components from Rod Birch, but I guarantee it would have sounded better had he installed it. I think it will sound better if I get one of those rear seat woofer boxes b/c right now the air cooled has no woofer and must use the regular speakers for that channel. I think thats half my problem.

I agree though, stereo installation is equal part art and craftsmanship as it is pure components. Its not easy to do well.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:06 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Thanks for the information. I'll probably do mine in the spring which will allow plenty of time to shop it around. Did they connect the factory antenna amp too? I would love good radio reception in my '44.

The install looks great and I'm glad to know that it met your expectations. It sounds like you got great service, too, which is increasingly rare.

My only fear is that once I replce the stereo, something really major will go wrong mechanically. I have great luck that way...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:30 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the description on the Alpine website, it says that head unit has the ability to change the button and other display lights to AMBER! Did you try to change yours yet?? Looks like you found a killer installer--congrats!!

Quick Reply: UPDATED! New Alpine stereo is INSTALLED!...and gifts from the Porsche Museum!