Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY!!!! THIS is what cobalt REALLY looks like!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation FINALLY!!!! THIS is what cobalt REALLY looks like!

I have GIGS worth of photos trying to capture my paint and how it REALLY looks. I can be staring at the car and the camera takes a picture of something totally different! Finally yesterday while I was finishing up my battery tray I managed to get some shots that are a lot more representative of this crazy color! This makes me really want to find a Zyclam car to photograph!

First two are at slightly adjusted angles, the third shows a progressive fade (kinda soft though), and the fourth is a close up of what the cobalt paint actually looks like! The pics still don't show it as distict as it is in person, but im getting closer! There was no photoshopping or adjustment to these either, just a resize and resolution adjustment to make small files.
Attached Images     
Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 PM
MoeJoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool, now if I can just get my monitor adjusted........
Old 10-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

HEHE, adjust to the painters tape! Its a light blue kinda like riviera blue on the 993. (on pic 3)
Old 10-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:40 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nicest color on a 944 EVER.

Although I think it is a tie between your car and Duke's rainforest green 951. Yours is a factory 944 color though, so you get more points!!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:01 PM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, that is nice!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Hey Tony,

I have been meaning to ask you about your car. You have the paint code listed as LM5N and the pictures look similar but different to mine. Mine turns more pink in the late day sun closer to your bottom photo and very dark in the shade or mid day sun like the middle pic but daker blue and is coded as 37U. I know the new Cobalt used on the 996's is a different color than mine and has a different code also.

The problem with all the different Cobalt colors is they don't photograph as well as they look. How about some full pics of the car when you are done?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Just looked over your pics. Looks great. It trully is a rare and beautiful color that accents the lines of any car it is on. BTW the pics look about the same as mine come out so I am assuming there is very little difference between the 2 color codes, although I am curious why they are coded differently. Good Luck with it.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:57 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That color is just gorgeous. Especially on that car.

Arash
Old 10-11-2005, 02:39 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah, i have plenty full car pics in my gallery. (signature)

Um...are you getting the 37U code from your options sticker?? I've never heard of that. Hmm...I assume it is the same. I did park next to a Cobalt 964 once at a local meet. I've only seen the guy once around here. I must say...the color seemed to look a bit different on the round curves of a 911 compared to the edges and flat planes of a 944. It was the same color though. I get that medium blue mid-day as well. In bright early light, i get a very...greenish teal color. Especially on the rear quarters. What a crazy color Porsche came up with.

They did tone it down a bit for the new Cobalt blue cars though. They don't seem to change as much as the original paint code. I think they should offer more colors with this kind of flake content. I think Porsche has gotten a bit unexciting in their standard and special color offerings. It seems paint to sample is the only way to get something interesting currently.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Yeah, i have plenty full car pics in my gallery. (signature)

Um...are you getting the 37U code from your options sticker?? I've never heard of that. Hmm...I assume it is the same. I did park next to a Cobalt 964 once at a local meet. I've only seen the guy once around here. I must say...the color seemed to look a bit different on the round curves of a 911 compared to the edges and flat planes of a 944. It was the same color though. I get that medium blue mid-day as well. In bright early light, i get a very...greenish teal color. Especially on the rear quarters. What a crazy color Porsche came up with.

They did tone it down a bit for the new Cobalt blue cars though. They don't seem to change as much as the original paint code. I think they should offer more colors with this kind of flake content. I think Porsche has gotten a bit unexciting in their standard and special color offerings. It seems paint to sample is the only way to get something interesting currently.
I agree with you with the last paragraph. I parked next to an 02 996TT in the new Cobalt and the changes were very subtle compared to mine. My car does not change to the tealish blue the way yours appears to. That may be the difference between the color codes. My paint code is 37U on the inside sticker and S6S6 is the order code. You see so few of these cars painted in this color I would love to get all the different paint codes for Cobalt together for a comparison in different lighting. Too bad I have only seen 4 other Porsches ever in this color and the others were either the 37U or newer paint code. Yours may be even more rare because I have never seen anything pre 93 painted in Cobalt.

Keep It in the great shape you are doing it is a very special car.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Hmm...yeah so maybe LM5N IS different that yours? Weird. I wonder about the 968s now. Those were offered Cobalt as well.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Hmm...yeah so maybe LM5N IS different that yours? Weird. I wonder about the 968s now. Those were offered Cobalt as well.
The 968's were the same code as mine 37U. I saw a beautiful example at Pocono a couple of weeks back and checked.

My car appears to have 2 primary colors. These are the closest pictures I have were was able to capture the differences witch is almost impossible to do.

The first is what it looks like most of the time, the second varies and is difficult to capture on film. This picture is close but does not do it justice.
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Here are two more comparisons. The first is of me parked next to that Cobalt 964. They look pretty darn close in the photo. In person the 964 seemed a bid darker. The second comparison is of my color when it goes really light compared to being indoors. It's virtually always purple with interior lighting. I forgot I had this picture! Note one mirror is angled slightly and shows blue instead!
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Hey, i found another picture of Cobalt going to its lighter shade. This pic is older so I still had my orange markers. This was in mid-late afternoon sunlight.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: FINALLY!!!! THIS is what cobalt REALLY looks like!