Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anybody say, "Console/Cassette Lid?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Did anybody say, "Console/Cassette Lid?"

Some folks have been posting some pretty good write ups recently. Nice to see some good tech stuff come along.
After a recent conversation with MichelleJD and some other fellow Rennlisters, and seeing a few recent references to the console/cassette lid, I decided to dig this one up from the grave.

Console Lid Recovering

Hope this helps. May all your cassette lids be purdy.......
Old 10-05-2005, 05:50 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet Do you have a name or part number for that style of vinyl(what was on the bolt?) Here is his write-up.

Well, so was I. Decided one day that I had nothing to lose by trying to recover my own. If I screwed it up, just keep searching, right? I even took some pictures for a write-up just for you guys, so if I did screw up, you could all laugh at my dumb *** (more on that later).

I started out by finding closely matching black vinyl and knowing I would have to work the rounded inside edges, I got the "stretchiest" stuff I could find. Six dollars for one yard, and I already have some trusty Weldwood Gel-type contact cement (I have used it before on the headliner, doesn't soak into fabris readily, doesn't run so it allows you to use more). Stripped old material off, cleaned well, rough cut new stuff, brush on the cement, let it dry......

...and start pulling the sides and corners tight. It helped to have as much glue and fabric contact surface area inside the lid as I could to help hold the fabric. Trim the excess fabric, spot-glue a few areas to help hold for good measure, burnish all the edges down as best I could and voila......

Looked pretty good just laying there, but let's see what the installation looks like.....

Guess it doesn't look too bad, but the laughing part comes in when you start working those round corners and get the cement all over your fingers, and then everything else. Have plenty of mineral spirits and towels on hand (or whatever cuts your adhesive of choice). Hope this might help anyone who may try this.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wade. I love you.. If I was a chick..

Is it time for my "Early switch rebuild" to be reposted?

btw- DAMN those seats look good. I have to get up there and recondition the 1993 944fest seat issue.

Call me brother. Sorry about the 68 AMX thing. I thought you might want another one.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Sweet Do you have a name or part number for that style of vinyl(what was on the bolt?)
No, no part #'s or info (as you can see, this was back in '03 too).
I just tried to give as much info about the type of material used as I could. It wasn't a perfect match, as the pebble grain is more prominent, but I think it looks better than OEM. And because it was "stretchy", it was very easy to work with on those curved edges. I have since used the same material to make a shift boot, replace the aging stuff on the panel that covers the sunroof gears, and soon on my door panels too.

Last edited by Wade B; 10-05-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
btw- DAMN those seats look good. I have to get up there and recondition the 1993 944fest seat issue.
Chris, those are the seats in the 951. They are not even what I consider to be in "adequate" condition. I think the pics just make them look better. In person, the console now makes them look bad. I am casually looking for replacements.

And I already have the Leatherique for the "03 "Fest Issue" and I have the seat stripped down ready to do. Because of aforementioned "medical issues" I am just now getting around to it.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:45 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used what is called whisper vinyl on my poker table rail and it has a feel of leather, very good stuff. The key to vinyl, is to heat it with a hair dryer and stretch it as you apply it.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Litespeeds
Racer

I just broke mine off the other day. The cover is in great condition but the plastic that hinges itself to the bottom just split on the edge and now the cover is off. Is there anyway to get that back on?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:44 PM
mbonner
Racer

I do not have a cassette box with lid, is this normal on an early 83 944?
Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Litespeeds
I just broke mine off the other day. The cover is in great condition but the plastic that hinges itself to the bottom just split on the edge and now the cover is off. Is there anyway to get that back on?
Some people have had decent luck buying an inexpensive section of piano hinge from a hardware store to do this. But a few of our site sponsors here have the OEM style plastic hinge for sale, as well as a few other aftermarket places. Prices for the replacement plastic hinge range from around $20-$40 depending on who you get it from.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did this to my lid last year, and aside from the joyous fun of wrapping the corners neatly, it was an OK job. The one issue I still have concerns the padding under the vinyl (spongey stuff). There was a section of the padding missing on mine (the vinyl had cracked open and the padding wore away there). I tried putting some new padding in the void but it was too soft and now there is a soft spot on the lid. Anyone know the best type of padding to use / where to get it?

Arash
Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Litespeeds
Racer

Originally Posted by Wade B
Some people have had decent luck buying an inexpensive section of piano hinge from a hardware store to do this. But a few of our site sponsors here have the OEM style plastic hinge for sale, as well as a few other aftermarket places. Prices for the replacement plastic hinge range from around $20-$40 depending on who you get it from.
Decided to remove the plastic hinge part from the top vinyl armrest pad and just stuck the armrest pad back into the opening. It fits very tight and is at the same height as the rest of the console. Actually looks ok but now I only have an armrest instead of a small storage compartment. I guess I can live with that.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:10 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
There was a section of the padding missing on mine (the vinyl had cracked open and the padding wore away there). I tried putting some new padding in the void but it was too soft and now there is a soft spot on the lid. Anyone know the best type of padding to use / where to get it?

Arash

I used bondo, I know, it's a bad word, but I was able to get the vinyl to lay as smooth as OEM.

Got my vinyl from Walmart, near match perfect.

Tip on the corners, use a heat gun or hair dryer.

One last tip, I suggest shelling out the $ for the correct hinge.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:32 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My lid was cracked from too much elbow leaning getting in the car. I went to a guy near me that does upholstery work. I asked hime to recover mine but first to put a thin sheet of stainless steel below the foam. He did a great job of recovering it and it looks new and can take the weight of my elbow leaning on it. I have tried to stop that bad habit but when you are getting in the car with something in your hands it is hard not to lean on the lid.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:44 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade B
And I already have the Leatherique for the "03 "Fest Issue" and I have the seat stripped down ready to do. Because of aforementioned "medical issues" I am just now getting around to it.
Have you used Leatherique before Wade? I have the whole kit ready to go for the M3 but I just cant actually get myself to head out to the garage and start sanding on leather. I dunno..just a bit timid I guess. The results from other I have seen are amazing. I have cleaned and used the rejuvenator oil (2x)..just need to go start stripping off the old dye and apply a patch/crack filler. eek.

Cya,
Sam
Old 10-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Have you used Leatherique before Wade? I have the whole kit ready to go for the M3 but I just cant actually get myself to head out to the garage and start sanding on leather. I dunno..just a bit timid I guess. The results from other I have seen are amazing. I have cleaned and used the rejuvenator oil (2x)..just need to go start stripping off the old dye and apply a patch/crack filler. eek.

Cya,
Sam
I haven't used it before Sam, but as I have tried everything else on this spot on an otherwise immaculate seat, Leatherique is my last resort. And I have had the whole kit for over a year and yes, I do agree with you; kinda' hard to bring myself to actually start wet sanding the seat, even though I know it has to be done. I'm thinking I might get some "test leather" to try first, don't want to screw up my first attempt on the actual seat. Mine only needs re-dyed, no cracks to be filled. I will be starting on this soon. I'll keep ya' posted if I end up going first, if you'll do the same for me..........

Quick Reply: Did anybody say, "Console/Cassette Lid?"