Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

914 or 928

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:20 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an 8V 944, and so does my mom. My dad has a 16V 928. All three cars are driven daily, and often times mom's 944 and dad's 928 see about 100miles per day. I am officially the family's mechanic - if anything breaks, I fix it, and I'm responsible for maintenance and prevention and all that for all three cars, and I buy all the parts so I know the costs. I can tell you right now the 928 costs us about what the 944s do combined (thats just parts, and over the last 2 years). Additionally, things are generally easier to do on the 944 than on the 928.

My mom gets about 25 mpg with her 944, I get about 18 mpg with mine (leaking injectors or something...). My dad gets about 22 mpg with his 928. Driving a 944 daily is sometimes my only reason for getting up in the morning, but for the last week I've been driving dad's 928 daily and it's fun too. It's heavier and bigger, so not as easy to throw around sometimes, but it scoots.

My general impressions:
When something breaks on a 944: oh, goodie, where's my tool bag
When something breaks on the 928: God help me. Dad, can you leave your car and 2 credit cards here for a couple days?
When I take the 944 out: bumpy ride sometimes, really controllable, comfy
When I take the 928 out: smoother, faster, roomier

All these are my own experiences and opinions, but I hope my data and impressions help you. Sorry I can't say anything about a 914 (no first hand experience).

Arash
85.1 944 - getting revitalized
84 944 - bought in 84, mom's
84 928S - dad's
Old 10-04-2005, 08:40 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Having had recent experience shopping for and driving both, I'd say get a 911.

Seriously though, to me a 914 would be a bad choice as a daily driver. They are really cool cars for sunny weekends or DE events, but I couldn't imagine the daily grind in one. Maintaining one is truly a labor of love from what I've found. Do you really want to be doing valve adjustments every 5k miles? Can you really live with single-speed wipers and a lack of a radio you can hear? How about a really crappy heater and defroster on those cold days this winter?

Plus it would not be perfect for long. They rust. No matter how good you are about drying it off and keeping it out of salt and mud, it will rust. That's just what non-galvanized metal does.

A 928 would be much more livable as a daily driver. One of my coworkers drives his silver '82 928 every day of the year...even through MN winters. Come to think of it, I know a few people that drive them every day around here. Fuel injected, automatic, good stereos, relatively modern climate controls. The list really goes on and on. Hopefully someone experienced will chime in about maintenance. I've heard it's bad, but I've heard that about every Porsche. I'm sure the old rule about keeping up on the routine stuff would apply.

To me there's no comparison...go with the nice 928 you posted on yesterday. They are such big, comfy, powerful cars. When I find a nice Guards over black '86 with a manual transmission it will be coming home with me.
having the car period should be a labor of love. maintaining it shouldnt be a problem -if you want and enjoy the car for what it is then there shouldnt be a questio of maintaining it. if you dont want to maintain it, get a honda.

oh, valve adjustements are every 3k, not 5 k.

the heater and defroster really arent bad as long as you have solid heater boxes (not rusted through) that are hooked up properly. if youre not getting heat, you dont have em hooked up right. i can be quite toasty in the 12.

radio? with a 914 you have a bare bones sports car (the essence of what a porsche should be). -its not supposed to have any real luxuries. next you'll ask about cup holders if you wanna be comfortable get a honda. if you wanna listen to music get a honda. if you want a real, bare bones no frills sports car, the way sports cars are supposed to be, then get an old porsche (ie pre 74 911 , 65-69 912, any 356, any 914)

fwiw, i recently drove a 74 911, and while the car itself was a stuning and pristene example, i was not impressed. it had too much weight from the lat impact bumper style body, and too much sound deadening, etc. the fact that it had an extra 200 lbs in weight from the engine alone added to its bulk. sure it was faster than the 912, but it wasnt as nimble and certainlty not as much fun -infact, it handled like a turd. it was just too bulky for my liking. as far as a 928 goes, it would be much worse plus doing repairs would eat your savings account.

imho, if you want a cool, nimble yet practicle daily driver, get an 80s 3 series bmw. they are realitiovely cheep to buy, are practicle, yet still very sporty.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a teener to go with my 944, I have to agree with my fellow posters who say the 914 is not an ideal daily driver due to the rust prone nature of the beast. I am not as sympathetic to those who claim go with 2.0 or go home. The EFI on the 1.8 is a fine performer assuming the hoses are reliable and there are no vacuum leaks - as for the valve adjustments, I have no personal experience there, but the process is well documented. It took us about 4 months to redo our 914 and it runs great and looks superb - I do want to sell it and buy another 944 for a daily driver.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:52 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Originally Posted by hoffman912
having the car period should be a labor of love. maintaining it shouldnt be a problem -if you want and enjoy the car for what it is then there shouldnt be a questio of maintaining it. if you dont want to maintain it, get a honda.

oh, valve adjustements are every 3k, not 5 k.

the heater and defroster really arent bad as long as you have solid heater boxes (not rusted through) that are hooked up properly. if youre not getting heat, you dont have em hooked up right. i can be quite toasty in the 12.

radio? with a 914 you have a bare bones sports car (the essence of what a porsche should be). -its not supposed to have any real luxuries. next you'll ask about cup holders if you wanna be comfortable get a honda. if you wanna listen to music get a honda. if you want a real, bare bones no frills sports car, the way sports cars are supposed to be, then get an old porsche (ie pre 74 911 , 65-69 912, any 356, any 914)
I absolutely agree with you. One late-night blast in a well-prepared 914 was enough to make me fall in love. I have a feeling that I'll own one someday, if only for the crystal-clear summer nights and cool fall mornings. They are cheap enough now, but according to Excellence won't be for much longer.

That said, I'm still learning about them so I'm sorry for the faux pas!

However, for daily drivers I'd argue that a functional radio and more modern maintenance standards are a necessity. I think we're on the same page.

Your '12 looks great...cool as hell! I don't know where one would be on my "must have" list...my soon-to-be wife's toy limits require careful planning. It's on there, though.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
bcdavis
Drifting

My impression is that both cars will require maintainance from time to time.
The 928 will cost more to fix, but will be a MUCH better daily driver.
The 914 is more of an "experience". A fun and interesting car to
own for a bit, but not the best for day to day commuting, etc...
The 928 is superb at commuting. Automatic, AC, really comfortable
seats, etc... So you will get a much better daily driver, but yes,
it will cost you more to maintain.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:54 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Just got off the phone with the owner again, the engine is a 2.0 euro spec. The entire car (including engine) has been restored 20k miles ago. A/C has been installed, and has been running fine. Again, not one spot of rust and a perfect PPI. The 928 is over twice as much, but I like it as well. Just as much in fact.

And please, I wasn't asking if I should get a honda instead, I was asking out of the two, which would you get?

Also, for anyone interested...he also has a black 914 with a 2.0 engine. Body and engine are in great shape. Interior needs to be restored, but he has all the stuff needed, including A/C. He wants 1500 for that one.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Originally Posted by bloodraven
Just got off the phone with the owner again, the engine is a 2.0 euro spec. The entire car (including engine) has been restored 20k miles ago. A/C has been installed, and has been running fine. Again, not one spot of rust and a perfect PPI. The 928 is over twice as much, but I like it as well. Just as much in fact.

And please, I wasn't asking if I should get a honda instead, I was asking out of the two, which would you get?

Also, for anyone interested...he also has a black 914 with a 2.0 engine. Body and engine are in great shape. Interior needs to be restored, but he has all the stuff needed, including A/C. He wants 1500 for that one.
Have you checked out www.autoatlanta.com yet? They have a good buyer's guide on there if you're really considering it. When I was considering the '14 I found I gave them a call to ask about the cost to replace certain things. They are very helpful people down there.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think further east..... Bavaria.

How about a nice Z3 or E46 or even an E36 M3? Hell, you can find nice deals on M Roadsters now.

For a daily driver, any of the above will make you glad you didn't buy either the Shark or the VW(914). If all of those are too much money (although you should be able to find all but the M3 for the price of a well maintained shark), get an E36 325i or 328i.

BTW, I don't have anything against either the 928 or the 914 but I cannot imagine the maintenance of either or living with either on a daily basis.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 PM
macreel
Addict
Rennlist Member

928 or 914 ?? I'd go (& did) for the 928. We needed a car
for long distace cruising - good handling, comfort and style
were considerations, for the two of us (the 'Boss' can't
drive a stick - needs auto). 'Spirited' driving was a given.

Consider your use.

(we drive the 'shark' locally, too; sort of a daily driver;
owned about 2 yrs, maintenance under $1,000. I wrench.)

G'luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Do you have some explosive knowledge that a potential buyer should know about?

...It is explosive - "The 928 is not that bad in maintenance - with WAY more rewards" - I drove 2 separate 928s for 2 years each, with only basic tires, brakes, and oil changes. *I* broke one then, and replaced the trans, and broke it again. MY FAULT - not the car's. The second - was fixed improperly by a PO and fried a brain. It was not an "electrical problem," though, as electrical issues, as they say are problems for 928s are usually simply grounding issues (I recall my 924S having grounding issues I fixed with 3 ground straps) or PO WIRING CRAP.

Is there some sort of electronic function that automatically charges your Visa every time you start the car?

...Heh, no, but since 928intl, Devek, and 928spec all have my damn credit card, that may well be.

Do they run on ground up moonrocks and Faberge' eggs?

...No, just ground up blood and skin. Mine that is.

I joined this forum to learn. You're clearly experienced (the engine in the pic is gorgeous), so why not share your knowledge a little bit?

....My point was its NOT that much to run these beasts. They are so rewarding even when **** bricks from PO terror. All I have I have learned on the 928 board, email lists, websites, and laying under my 928s staring at what hanz and franz thought about and made real.

I built that engine for 4700 dollars. New pistons, rebuilt heads, polsihed valves, new springs, custom spring heights and pressures, lapped bores - the right way, etc. Sure, it took like 8 months, but it was WELL worth it. I did it to the last "nth" degree. I hope to do my 5.0 in about a month. I can't wait another 8 months.

I simply do not like when internet boards are places where info is echoed and not shared.

I know that 944 turbos don't constantly blow HGs if you "do it right", and I know 944s aren't that hard to change the belts on and do the clutch. Its spread around like that on other boards though and I see it as a shame.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Um, if you read the 928 forum (and others)the general consensus is that $2,000/year is solid estimate for maintenance and repairs. It's been posted many times. But oh wait; they must be spreading second or third hand knowledge !
Yep. 2000 dollars if you include 18" wheels and paying marko to do your timing belt. I have disagreed with those men time and time again. Maintenance and repairs on what exactly? The timing belt and water pump and pulleys are maybe 500 dollars. You simply cannot include arbitrary and owner-induced "upgrad-maintenance".

I replaced the headgasket on my 924S when I bought it. And all the belts and rollers. And I rebuilt the head.

Boy, 924S cars take like 4k a year in maintenance.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
[B]...I know that 944 turbos don't constantly blow HGs if you "do it right", and I know 944s aren't that hard to change the belts on and do the clutch. Its spread around like that on other boards though and I see it as a shame.
Well stated and an accurate comparison Brendan. The 928 is my first lust and I'll have one in the future.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Now I'm wondering where this guy is getting all these rust-free 914s and selling them for under 2k. Sounds like the aliens who landed in rural N Carolina in 74 and took a 914 back as the perfect example of earth transporatation have returned. Does this guy look like a clone of Barney Fife?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

TIm,
BTW, kudos for your calm temperment in these posts - a month ago you would have torn some folks apart on the honda question - g/f is treating you nice, I suspect!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:40 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

lol...no, they where just both well taken care of examples. This guy loves 914s and 911s and races 914s. he just has like, 4 of them and three parts cars, so he is looking to get rid of a couple

Quick Reply: 914 or 928