Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Shocks are on...but now the hood wont close!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hood Shocks are on...but now the hood wont close!!!!

Ok, i got the hood shocks on this morning in about 3 minutes. Instead of trying to compress the shocks, which to me was physically impossible, (mental note...gym membership...) I got someone to help out and push the hood up to align the pin that way. Much easier. Thanks for the ideas everyone! And yes, watch the glass! Luckily i had no incidents!

BUT...... (there's always a but!)

The hood won't close right!!!! It's slightly lopsided towards the passenger side!!! To close to hood, i need to press down from the far passenger side and the middle. If i just close it from the middle as usual, it wont shut! These shocks WERE for this car, both identical in size out of the car, and both installed correct! What is going on! What has lopsided my hood! Basically the driver side of the hood sags just ever so slightly below the passenger side! What happened! And how do i fix this???
Old 10-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

hmmm....

I've never heard of something like this before.

We have to assume now that you may have to re align the hood. On each side bracket next to the shock, there should be 2 screws. You will have to play around with these to align the hood. BUT! Be sure to check the shocks one more time because YOU DO NOT WANT TO REALIGN AGAIN.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:34 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

You should not have to realign the hood if it fit before. Something is wrong with one of your shocks and is extending further, be careful don't tweak your hood trying to get it to line up.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

uh Blue? Do you think you could have been sent HATCH SHOCKS?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:40 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Also check to see if one of the ball attachments is bent downward from one of your previous attempts. Is one side compressing more than another?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Hmm....no the shocks are correct, installation is good and they extend to an even level. I think my one side alignment is off. Sometimes it was slightly funny close, i think not having a shock attached may have made it slip from alignment enough to cause this! Well at least I know which way it needs to go!

Oh fun. I assume I just have someone hold the hood while I loosen those two screws and push the hood up and re-tighten?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Additional info...I can see slight silver under one of the screws! Seems it has slipped. Joy is brought to me from Porsche repair. (in a very sarcastic tone!)
Old 10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Litespeeds
Racer

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Instead of trying to compress the shocks, I got someone to help out and push the hood up to align the pin that way.
I think that is the wrong way of installing the hood struts because you probably tweeked the hood or the hinges while you were installing the struts. Hope you get it realigned.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:23 PM
elf89
Pro

It doesn't sound like you had this problem (yet!) but for other would-be hood shock replacers reading this, it's very easy to raise the hood too far and put a crack in your windshield. When I replaced the shocks I had a second person there too, but their job was to make sure I didn't accidentally raise the hood farther than it's normal limit of travel.

I think realigning that hood might provide more opportunity to crack the windshield, so be very careful when you fix it. Good luck!

Eric
Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe before you replaced the shocks the hood was already out of alignment and "resting" in the closed position. Since the new shocks are on then I also think a realignment is in order. I changed mine but I also changed the hood before new paint. My new hood closed perfect with the new shocks but I still had to adjust the "gaps" between the hood and fenders. It works fine now.

Quick Reply: Hood Shocks are on...but now the hood wont close!!!!