Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for front upper strut bushings....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for front upper strut bushings....?

... I'm pretty sure this makes sense... The two big bushings/bearings at top of strut towers in engine bay- look like hockey-pucks almost... I understand theseare VERY pricey when new... The rubber is really warped in both of mine- considering their age, it's not too bad, but... I don't want to go spherical bearing, as mine's a street car... any suggestions...? What options do I really have....?

thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A cheap alternative are the strut bearings from KLA. I have them on my car, very well made and worth the price.

http://www.klaindustries.net/strtmnt/strtmnt.htm
Old 09-28-2005, 12:45 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
A cheap alternative are the strut bearings from KLA. I have them on my car, very well made and worth the price.

http://www.klaindustries.net/strtmnt/strtmnt.htm
Yea, shocks and suspension bushing are planned for the spring. The KLA strut mount was in my plan as well. I have better things to do with my money than pay Porsche around $400 for each of their rubber mounts.

How did they affect the ride of the car over rough roads? Did they really harshen up the ride? What about the famous 944 front end shimmy that the rubber mounts were supposed to deal with?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchased a set of camber plates from Dynatech Motorsports for $525 http://www.dynatechmotorsports.net/s...mber_plate.htm. Very high quality piece that replaces the factory bearing. And allows for a wide range of suspension adjustability. If you are looking into upgrading your suspension, camber plates are a key element.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:45 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in the KLA strut mounts in August. It was not a bad DIY job (I am a novice mechanic at best), and the noise/vibration/harshness is not noticeably worse than the stock bushings. I can't really comment on any performance improvement, as I also put on 4 new tires, new sway bars, and got a much more aggressive alignment at the same time. I give them a 10/10 -- a fantastic product given how ridiculously expensive the OE part is!!
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

I have the Racer's Edge Camber Plates with spherical bearings and don't mind them at all on the street.

'Course, the rest of the car is much more obnoxious (no rubber bushings anywhere, full cage, track suspension), so I'm not sure I would notice
Old 09-29-2005, 12:40 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

another vote for the inexpensive KLA units. no problems with rideability.

if you're not tracking it, i wouldn't pay for the more expensive camber plates unless you want bling.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to retain the stock ride but not break the bank on late model replacements, consider backdating to early style for $87/side.

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...utmountkit.htm

Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip,
I believe that is what i purchased from you guys when i got the konis, springs and so on......

If i am not mistaken, those earlier types are smoother/better than the newer models?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
If i am not mistaken, those earlier types are smoother/better than the newer models?
I can't say with confidence that the early units are better than the later types. In fact, there were two versions of the late model strut mount. It is my understanding that with the larger wheels and greater offsets in the late model 944 (951,S2 specifically) came some slight highway speed vibration in the front end. To combat this, Porsche changed the density of the rubber in the mount and also added a weighted washer to the top (a change from one single-part unit to the other - not from early multi-part mount to late single-part mount). This is why we state in the product description that there may exist some small amount of vibration with the backdated parts. To date, I have not received any feedback to support any claims of noticable vibration.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:29 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, the back-dated option was something I had considered- I think I have the later units- they're from a 968 & have a rectangular piece that's about 1" long, 1/2" wide, & 1/2" high- IS THIS what you're talking about, Skip, that's supposed to add the weight to help out w/vibration? Mine, from my Turbo S, did not have this, but, appeared to be otherwise identical...

I'm very leary of camber plates & solid units- I want NO vibration- too much already, actually... mine's a street car- everyday driver, so, that's important to me- plenty of newer cars that handle as well & are more comfortable, but, I chose to buy this car, so, have to work w/what I have... How do i know when the stock units need replacing anyway? Does it have ANYTHING to do w/the shape of the rubber? It looks like mine is slightly warped, but, I can't FEEL any probs... Do I really even need to get new ones? Would I notice a dif if I went w/brand new stock units? I mean, does the rubber have much to do w/it, warped or not...?

WOW! The KLA units LOOK nice- so does the price... I just have to wonder about road noise, harshness, vibration, etc... guess it depends on the rubber question I'm asking.....

thanks a lot everyone...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:48 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well..........mine is smooth, that is untill i hit the crappy roads here

Again, thsi was replaced along with the konis, springs, seals, bushings and so on......i guess adressing the front end just makes teh ride a lot smoother and responsive (duh!)
Old 09-29-2005, 03:06 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robby
Yes, the back-dated option was something I had considered- I think I have the later units- they're from a 968 & have a rectangular piece that's about 1" long, 1/2" wide, & 1/2" high- IS THIS what you're talking about, Skip, that's supposed to add the weight to help out w/vibration? Mine, from my Turbo S, did not have this, but, appeared to be otherwise identical...
Yes - the semi-circle block is the supposed vibration fix. 951S has a whole different strut mount that is NLA.

I'm very leery of camber plates & solid units- I want NO vibration- too much already, actually... mine's a street car- everyday driver, so, that's important to me- plenty of newer cars that handle as well & are more comfortable, but, I chose to buy this car, so, have to work w/what I have... How do i know when the stock units need replacing anyway? Does it have ANYTHING to do w/the shape of the rubber? It looks like mine is slightly warped, but, I can't FEEL any probs... Do I really even need to get new ones? Would I notice a dif if I went w/brand new stock units? I mean, does the rubber have much to do w/it, warped or not...?
In my opinion, the later units are better built. But, you have to determine the relative worth considering the incredible difference in cost. If you don't want vibration, I would not recommend any spherical mounts.

The wear is both in the breakdown of the rubber (the warp you can see, and the age/wear-induced tensile weakening) and in the wear of the sealed bearing and sleeve within (non-serviceable). I've got at least a half-dozen sets of used late model units and they are all warped but in otherwise good condition. Tough call on whether you'd feel a discernible difference between new and used.

Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks again guys...

Skip- interesting info- how much are the 968 ones new, then? also, do you ever sell used ones? Last, can you give a ballpark on how long they could normally last on street conditions before they might really need replacing? I know there are a ton of variables there, but, in your opinion, based on your experience, etc...???

thanks...

Quick Reply: Options for front upper strut bushings....?