Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old are we? Why do we own our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:49 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How old are we? Why do we own our cars?

Hi everyone,

I'm still pretty new here and my car is patiently waiting in Ohio to be picked up and delivered to me (why are there so many 944's in Ohio?) So instead of driving my car, I've been reading lots of amusing threads and learning new things. Good stuff!

There is obviously a wide range of maturity levels here, and presumably ages- although I realized that the two are not always related.

Some of you seem to dedicate lots of time to this forum, and you know who you are. Iamb sure I won't have that kind of time, but I'm curious as to where I fit in.

For some reason I can't do an "official" poll and don't know why yet, but I'll bet many of us new guys would be interested to hear from anyone who cares to answer.

So the questions are-

1) Age: I'm 38... clearly too soon for a mid-life crisis according to my loving wife.

2) Why: My Dad had an '84 944, and I've always thought it was one of the sexiest cars ever made. I never liked US made muscle cars enough to own one, but have wanted a 951 since they came out. Now I figure I can afford the car AND maintenance with any luck for a "toy" car. It'll be hard not to drive every day but I want to keep the miles down to retain my "investment" value. I can see buying another one for tracking in the future when I have time.

3) What would you do different if you could "go back" ? This could be useful to us beginners.

Thanks and please help my my car get here- pray to God, Budda, etc., use the Force, whatever.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:01 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why so many porsches in ohio? im not sure i think it has something to do w/ 944fest.

im 26, on my fourth porsche, even though the one i have was my first....

i have juggled between cars for some time, trying to find the right combo. Ive had trucks, cars, sports cars, old cars, turbo cars etc... for some reason or another i always find a reason to get rid of them. When i wanted a car to autox, i ended up w/ a 944 because my friend talked me into getting one like his. I sold it off, but ended up back w/ it cuz i missed it. Now im hooked. I know usually the progression is to go from the n/a to the turbo etc but im really content w/ my n/a's power and handling. I want to squeeze everything it has out of it before i succom to the temptation to get a 968. Then again, my desire to get another supra turbo is turning towards stuttgart as well. I guess it helps that my dad and my grandfather both raced baja and dunebuggies when i was only a small child and i grew up around them and streetrods. when i bought my first 944 my gpa says to me " from here that thing almost looks like a porsche"- i still havent let him forget that comment.

if i did anything different....i would have bought one sooner.

Last edited by xsboost90; 09-28-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

944's in Ohio?? there's a lot of 924S's as well..

Why. My dad bought a 924 in 1977 new. Zermatt / Pascha. I fell in love.

Took me almost 20 years to buy my own. 8 years ago Feb, I was able to and finally did buy this car. 2 944's since, but the 924S will ALWAYS stay with me.
SHE IS my baby.

and I've never looked back since...
Old 09-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Car: 1988 944 N/A

Why: i am porsche nut and these cars kind of run in my blood as my grandfather has 3 (996TT, 930S set up for track by porsche not really sure actual hp but its really really scary fast slantnose, and a 986), and my dad has a 1('86 911, he is itching real bad to get a GT-3). I have loved these cars scince i was a little boy as my dad tells me when i was a little kid we would go to the dealship and i would point out which cars had the engines in the front and rear. Now i like doing some wrenching myself but still send my car in for any big stuff. So, natrually ever scince i got my liscanse i wanted one and always loved the 944 styling. This car is my second car as my first car was a 1996 dodge neon.

What would i do diffrent: cannot really think of anything as i picked a car that was low milage with all records. For the past 3 years i have had the car i have kept up with all maintenance and it has been great (reliable with relitively no problems other then small stuff like power window switches and door lock switches) The car has been very reliable. i though sometimes i do wish i had some more hp (turbo or S2 power would be nice). I also do someitmes miss having a car in the winter months as i put it in my garage at home, scince i am at college i only keep it during the fall and spring when weather is better (hills, snow, ice and rear wheel drive 944's do not go well together)

In my mind i keep thinking about something like a sc but then kind of talk myself out of it for 3 main reasons 1) i like my A/C 2) the kits are extremely expensive 3) it could hurt the reliability
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, yeah, seems the 944s are in Ohio and the 924s are in Michigan, lol, a few strayed away tho.

1) I'm 26, I fell in love with German cars at 18 with a G60 Corrado. I ended up working at a P-car dealer for a few years and got to drive about anything Porsche you can imagine, from a Gemballa C4S, Dave Justice's modded 993 Twin Turbo S along with Ken Griffey Jr's Twin Turbo S, a few race cars(various models) The first Boxster S in Cincy, all the way to 914s, 911s of all kinds including a Sportomatic, etc etc etc. I fell in love with the 944 series,, lucky me tho, I wouldn't be able to afford most of the others, lol.

2) I'll agree that they are the sexiest machines to roam the world. I drive one daily, one toy and one project car. I love them all tho.

3) Hmm, what I could go back and do differently, hmm. I'd check my grounds, get rid of my rubber center clutch(you won't have that in a 951) and keep an eye on my fuel lines, stick around, you'll understand, lol
Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine-44
3) Hmm, what I could go back and do differently, hmm. I'd check my grounds
out of the mouth of a PRO here kids...

Check those grounds..
Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Age - 20

Why - I wanted a muscle car at age 17. Looked around for classic Mustangs i could restore or 5.0 Mustangs. Was also interested in a 16-valve GTi, the MkII's. My father had one, loved the car but it was stolen. My father was great and bought me a automatic 924S. Hardly what i had wanted. I fell in love with the car though. Loved how unique it was, how it turned heads and that feeling it gives the driver "inspires confidence". Used the car for about 2 years before selling it and moving onto what i had wanted since i read up on the 924/944 series, a 944. Loved the fenders and aggressive looks. Love how it turns even more heads than the 924S. Like the 924S, very unique. Good peformer without the damn automatic tranny. The 924S taught me the finer points of driving. Drag racing wasnt eveything (And it was stupid). More to life than going fast in a straight line!

What Would i Change - I would have maybe waited out until i had enough money to buy a 944 Turbo or S2 when i sold my (really my fathers) 924S. My goal was to buy my own car without any help from my parents. My father tried to steer me away from "old cars that arent worth much money". He offered to match whatever i could afford for a new car. I ended up buying a n/a 944 mostly because it was much easier for me to pay the insurance on it, and i loved the cars to much to 'take a break' from owning one. So maybe i wouldnt have done that to differently. From a purely financial stand point (which is what i followed in the end...it made the most 'cents') it was smartest to go with the 944. If i had bought the 944 Turbo, i would probably have a car right now thats sitting on jack stands at home in my parents driveway, ripping my hair out because i dont have enough money for repairs. Or who knows, maybe i would not have encoutered any problems at all and i would be enjoying the boost.

Or maybe i would have been enjoying that boost to much and had my license revoked. Haha, the possibilities are endless. But mark my typed text, i will get a 944 Turbo one day!

I like to think though i am making the natural progression from slowest in the line to fastest.

Automatic 924S, 0-60mph in 9+ seconds
5-Speed 944, 0-60 in 8+ seconds about

and hopefully by the end of next summer, or the summer after that.... 944 Turbo! I am a Porsche nut for life now. I come from a family with really no past owners. As far as i know i am the first. I absolutley love them. My goal in a couple of years is to pickup a 930 Turbo. Something to work for!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Some of you seem to dedicate lots of time to this forum, and you know who you are. Iamb sure I won't have that kind of time, but I'm curious as to where I fit in"

Love your car, join in here.............and you'll "fit" right in!.

Welcome, and hopefully ya get your car soon!.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:30 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 22, and have a real nice 1990 black/linen S2 coupe.

I have always wanted a Porsche since I was really young. The 944 series appeled to me because i really liked its styling, I have also like the 930 turbo's are those where the ones I saw growing up(ANd I will have one of those to in the future) but anyways. I love my S2 I don't think I can ever sell it. This is my only car that I have kept longer then 10 months (I got my liscense at 17 and this is my 5th car). I am starting to do alot of my own wrenching just because maintance on the S2 is a little expensive(Even thought I work at a P-car dealer) I ask alot of questions and print off alot of doctuments from work so I can do my own work, and its fun to do.

What would I change if I could do it all over again, I think as far as S2's go I would get a really low miler, just so I could have something that would be a collector car in the future. But I bought a great car with all records and even though it has higher milage, I bought it with 135,000 on teh clock it now has 152,000 on it. I am competley happy with it and I am doing what I bought the car for, and that was to autocross. And becasue of the higher milage I can modified it and not feel as bad as I would if it was a low mile car

Brandon
Old 09-28-2005, 12:38 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

age 18
on my 2nd porsche
first was an 84 n/a, this one is an 86 turbo, why? because i love it. first porsche was at 16, first car, got it for 1800 bucks that i had saved up for a first car, and it's been the 944 all the way, i cant stand other cars. lol.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:54 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, Try this,I'll be 63 yet this year,bought a 944 turbo,in excellent condition,with56k on the clock.Spent more than I should have but has paid off in NO repairs over the last 3 years!!!Had fun polishing the Fuchs,going to put the Iceshark cables in ,have "chipped" it,Just a lot of fun.Why?Because its fun knowing that your driving the fastest car on the road!!!Not that I would exceed the speed linit.Ha!Oh,also I got the car,she got the new kitchen. Enjoy yours when you get it,and take advantage of the wealth of info on this suite. FRED
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh........I forgot...........I'm 50 years old.........and love it!.........The car that is!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Fred.. we gotta meet just so I can see that amazing BABY of a 951. Besides, It'll give me an excuse to visit Marty (Xoxx).. NW Ohio is a real haul from here.

Football hall of fame?? Gotta get there...
Old 09-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 23 years old, and on my second 944.
Got an 83 944 when I was 19, it was a little rough around the edges, high mileage...but I couldn't resist. I fell in love the first time I saw it.
Then I came across my current car, having sat in a garage for 10 years, with 73k kilometres (about 45k miles!) I had to have it, as it was like a new car. I love it to death.
If I could do it differently I would have looked into these cars alot more, like you seem to be doing. I didn't know squat about them at first, and the potential problems. But I'm edj-uma-cated now, and I'm still learning!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:44 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

car:1987 924S
Reason: only car that I've owned out of three that's managed to keep my attention... I was going through a car a year... here I am on year 4...

Quick Reply: How old are we? Why do we own our cars?