Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think im done with paint - new black pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think im done with paint - new black pictures

wow, 2 months later and just shy of a grand (was able to take advantage of a lot of materials we already had on hand) my car is nearly done. i am just waiting on my new mirror seal from pelican to put the passenger door back together. there are a few cloudy spots near some edges that will need to be buffed out a bit more, probably by hand because im too chicken to burn through the clear.

anyway, heres a before and a few after pictures

note all the nasty paint chips.. there was a lot...

and now they are gone!!

its been washed, but i cant wax it until mid october... probably right before it will be getting put away for the winter. ill be sure to post more after i get all the fancy stuff that makes it shinier on there
Old 09-15-2005, 01:21 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

WizKid,

Beautiful car! Taking your time and doing it right really shows.
Now I wish I'd gotten a black 944 (I ended up with an India Red '86).

If I see you around here in Central Michigan, I'll give you a wave (work in Lansing).

I haven't been following this - did you sand it down to bare metal and repaint, or just sand, fill, and repaint? Where'd you get the paint, and what kind did you use?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

OOH! Real fresh!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:39 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

WWWOOWW!!

Looks great! Nice job.

Michael
Old 09-15-2005, 01:48 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Great Job! No, I mean REALLY great job!

You beat me... I was painting the rain gutters and the two smaller parts for the mirrors last night (ended up needing to buy another gallon of clear, so I wet-sanded everything and put two more coats of clear on everything over the past couple of weeks...)

You've done a great job. Looking at your pics inspires me, as it will be a long time before my shell is put back together.

Did you wetsand and polish already [edit: I see in your post that you have polished - did you wetsand though first?] (looks nice and flat in the picture)? If so, what products did you end up using? I'm still debating what to do. The paint on mine looks good for flatness and texture, but has specks of dust here and there that I'd like to get rid of... Did you end up with this?

Congratulations! From my own perspective, I would say that painting the car has been the most demanding automotive task I've tried so far.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:07 PM
unreal_news
Racer

man, thats got to make you feel good nice
Old 09-15-2005, 02:08 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

... can smell it from here... that's really nice man, really nice.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:34 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

only a few spots were bare metal, where chips were bad and it had to be feathered out, and i had a nasty hole on the drivers side quarter panel.

i did my best to keep the galvanized stuff intact.

i bought all my products through finish master and used PPG throughout.

DP50 epoxy primer on bare metal, and ended up doing it pretty much everywhere. its a good sealer.

then after body work shot it with a K36 primer/surfacer, this filled in sanding scratches.

sanded the whole car and THEN, shot it with DP50 again as a sealer, only reduced some this time.

the reason for shooting the sealer again, is because the p-sheets said that the paint i was using (DBC deltron) if it was black or another color, it had to be sealed after the K36 before shooting base.

after 2-3 coats of base, i shot Omni quick clear. 3 coats somewhat heavy.. but then ended up wetsanding the whole car (that sucked, was sore for a bit after that)

wetsanding was a must for me, trash landed in it of course and if i point them out, there are 1 or 2 bugs that will be there forever (well, 2 legs and a wing....) and it didnt lay as flat as i would have liked, but thats why we used sandpaper.

used 3M paper, much better than any knockoff stuff at a hardware, or napa and carquest.

then used 3M super duty compoun, and perfect-it fine compound. chase it with a glaze and its shiny.

edit: i said "I" a lot, when in fact my dad helped. he did most of the actual spraying, and wetsanded about half the car. im picker than he is though so i did my share. never would have attempted if i didnt have a little confidence in him (have to give him some credit)
Old 09-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

A thumbs up to you and two thumbs up for your Dad. Bonding, now that's priceless...
Old 09-15-2005, 07:03 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah,

It is really hard to keep the bits of dirt and tiny visitors away when doing it outside of a real paint booth. I spent weeks making what I thought was a really good booth with fans and filters. After my first time through (three coats of clear) I had what I thought was quite a bit of dust. I soon discovered that it was better if I left the fans off (I use a remote powered fresh air supply, so I could get away with this). For the second round of clear (two coats) I sectioned the car off and basically sprayed one section at a time, with the rest of the car masked. I would get the booth as clean as possible, wet the floor etc, tack, and spray right away. Even with this regimen, I still have a few dust specs.

But you have it right, careful wetsanding and polishing will take care of it, and by the look of the pics, you and your dad did a super job.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot damn, your hired! I really am a weenie when it comes to the car's paint.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:05 PM
GOSANE
Banned

Very nice job! I'm in the process of painting my old benz. And I paint almost everyday in paint and autobody class. One of the perks of school is getting to use a state of the art downdraft booth ;^) Your job looks super. Black is my favorite "color".
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job Andy - Night and day difference from the last time I saw it in person. You should get a medal for restoring that front end ;-)

Cory
Old 09-16-2005, 12:24 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice job! looks like a similar garage to mine.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:11 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Your new paint is sooo sweet lookin', I have to keep coming back to look at it

I saved off all the info on your paint - my paint is in good conditon so I don't have an excuse (or time yet) for a paint job, but man, looking at the fine paint on your car - I am sooo tempted to sell my red '86 and buy that black one up in Flushing

Quick Reply: I think im done with paint - new black pictures