Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Done painting... cant put my car back together again :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005 | 01:10 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Default Done painting... cant put my car back together again :(

wow, what a job this has become. some parts turned out great, others have had to be shot over. find sanding marks in certain light, others buff right out. im trying to put my car back together and i am becoming frustrated.

right now its mainly the quarter window trim.. ok seriously, there has to be a trick to get these suckers in, the metal piece just doesnt seem to fit. i can get the first 6 inches and the last 6 inches, but it just wont push into the corners.

now unfortunatly, i have to wait longer to put my mirrors back on because either pelican parts has their seals identified incorrectly, or porsche used both early and late style flag mirrors on 85.5 cars...

they are both the same you may think... but no, the top part of the base on later mirrors is about 1" shorter than the length of an early mirror. i bought both left and right seals, to get all new spiffy ones, and since i replaces my driver side mirror with a mirror off of an 87 (there is an extra wire by the way) that seal fit fine. and on the passenger mirror. it doesnt.

so i email pelican and ask them about it, no they sent me the right seal. after several emails and pictures being sent back and forth, they agreed with me and maybe porsche used left over mirrors on some of their cars.

i know the mirror is an 85, because it is stamped on the inside of the base.

nevertheless its definatly a big job, mad props to anybody has endeavored on this in their garage. wish me luck. i hate going out there though because those quarter window trim pieces **** me off
Old 09-13-2005 | 01:13 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

the strip of metal, did you install it BEFORE installing the window and seal into the car? Makes life MUCH easier if you do...
Old 09-13-2005 | 01:16 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

no, i never took the whole window out, it felt like i was going to break something.

the window and seal are still in the car, i just took the trim out so i could get tape around the seal easier.

how can i get the whole window out without breaking something if thats the case?
Old 09-13-2005 | 01:17 PM
Jason-85944
Pro

soapy water helps a lot with those buggers!

-J
Old 09-13-2005 | 01:39 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

to get the window out, from the inside, pry out the seal with a screwdriver... get the top out, have a friend play "catcher" and push it out.

to get it back in, first put the metal piece in, then put a length of rope around the seal on the inside. spray the seal with soapy water, have the same friend push the window into place while you sit inside the car, and pull the seal around with the rope. as you pull the rope into the car, the seal will seat. it's hard to break those windows while doing that. it's cake. good luck!
Old 09-13-2005 | 04:32 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

NO SCREWDRIVERS ON THE WINDOW!!!! you can simply push at the lower rear corner of the window and it will start to pop out , then be careful or have someone on the outside catch it when it comes out. Put the metal back in, then put a small rope or phone wire or something in the groove starting at the rear lower corner, then working your way around to the same spot. put the front lower in first, push on the window as if to put it into the car and then slowly pull the rope/wire out-on the inside- which picks the rubber up and over the lip installing itself back into the car. May take a couple tries but its very easy.
Old 09-13-2005 | 04:35 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

worked like a charm, i found it was easier to do without a screwdriver anyway. the rubber is soft enough to lift with a finger.

i might even get some pictures tonight. need to put the taillights in, and the front valence and bumper then ill be all set. besides a healthy wash, then im sure ill find some spots that need to be gone over with a buffer, or by hand since im scared to go near the edges for very long. might actually have it finished by my birthday

Quick Reply: Done painting... cant put my car back together again :(