Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Transmission Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 03:48 AM
alanf_uk2002
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Transmission Mount Replacement

Hi folks this is my first post as I couldn't find an answer to my query using the Search function. I have finally diagnosed that the clutch judder suffered by my '89 2.7 944 is due to a shot tranny mount (it's not the rubber clutch donut). My question is simple - has anyone replaced this and if they have is it possible to do without dropping the tranny out?

Thanks

Alan
Old 09-13-2005, 04:08 AM
PennyWise
Racer

I doubt it..... too many bits in the way and I don't think its a good idea to hang the Tranny while trying to get to the top of it... my non mechanical 2c based on observation of work done on rear
Old 09-13-2005, 09:38 AM
lilredpo
Pro

If you mean the mount on top of the transmission to the cross member, I had a tough time.

I ended up dropping the transmission while still attached to the cross member.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep,

You can replace the tranny mount without removing the whole transmission. I did it a couple years ago - only to find out the original mount was just fine. If I remember correctly, it wasn't a tough job. You should be able to find a step-by-step procedure on the web.

You just need the right tools and a jack under the transmission.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 AM
who1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chipster
Yep,

You can replace the tranny mount without removing the whole transmission. I did it a couple years ago - only to find out the original mount was just fine. If I remember correctly, it wasn't a tough job. You should be able to find a step-by-step procedure on the web.

You just need the right tools and a jack under the transmission.
Same here. You can do it with some patience, because there's not a lot of room to work and your arms are stretched out. Just put a jack or something under the tranny.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you deffinatly sure that its the mount.???

I had my mount replaced recently because of this very same clutch judder..+ found it wasnt that , that was causing it....
In fact i havnt got to the bottom of the judder YET...
+ ive fitted a new clutch, skimmed the flywheel, had the gearbox o/hauled ie new bearings... the list goes on....

The clutch is a SPEC 1 clutch though + ive found it a bit aggressive for street use...Even after being told that it WOULDNT be any different than stock.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aparently its not too difficult to replace the mount , just make sure youve got it supported correctly...Or wear a helmet....
Old 09-13-2005, 09:18 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Replacing the transmission mount is easy peasy. No need to drop the trans.

- support the rear of the car on jackstands - the rear wheels are coming off.
- Support the transmission on a stand, having lifted it slightly with a jack to relieve load on the mounts.
- remove the rear wheels.
- take the nuts off the trans momount bolts. If you get enough 3/8" extensions plugged into each other, you can do this from the passenger wheelwell!
- Use the end of an extension from the same side to drive the mount bolts out. If you balance it right with a jack under the trans, they coem out easily.
- remove the fuel filter bracket.
- remove the transmission mount crossmember [two bolts, one each side]
- withdraw the crossmember through the right wheelwell. I had to disconnect the right lower shock bolt to drop the trailing arm enough to get the crossmember out, but I have 800# springs in the rear. Softer or stock rear suspension will droop enough to clear it. If not, pop the shock bolt off.

Inspect/check the transmount, and remove/replace as required. Reverse the steps to reassemble.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:34 AM
alanf_uk2002
8th Gear

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies!! I had a go at removing the cross member last night and all was going well until I came to take the right rear wheel off to slide the cross member out.....and the locking wheel nut had been rounded off!! I eventually managed to get it off by hammering a socket on it and using a bit of heat but I lost a lot of time and it was getting dark.

The next problem is that the brake disc is stopping the cross member from sliding out completely so as APKhaos suggests I might have to drop the shock absorber bolt. I will continue when I get home from work but for today I'm without the old girl

Cheers

Alan
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 AM
alanf_uk2002
8th Gear

Does anyone know what the torque setting is for the wheel nuts (alloy ones)?

Alan
Old 09-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

93 ft lbs If I remember correctly-- and Welcome to Rennlist Alan!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 AM
alanf_uk2002
8th Gear

Just to wrap this thread up, I dropped the shock absorber bolt and was able to get the cross member out without a hitch. Unfortunately the mount was just as good as the one I was putting in (sourced from a Porsche breaker) and it's made no difference at all

Thanks for the wheel torque settings - seemed about right to me.

Cheers guys.

Alan
Old 09-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Moook
Racer

Yep,,
Like i said in a previous post,!!!!!,, ive done exactly the same thing...Only replaced my "old" one with a brand new one....
I shall watch this thread with interest to see if you actually find out whats causing the judder....
Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing the transmission mount is easy peasy. No need to drop the trans.

- support the rear of the car on jackstands - the rear wheels are coming off.
- Support the transmission on a stand, having lifted it slightly with a jack to relieve load on the mounts.
- remove the rear wheels.
- take the nuts off the trans momount bolts. If you get enough 3/8" extensions plugged into each other, you can do this from the passenger wheelwell!
- Use the end of an extension from the same side to drive the mount bolts out. If you balance it right with a jack under the trans, they coem out easily.
- remove the fuel filter bracket.
- remove the transmission mount crossmember [two bolts, one each side]
- withdraw the crossmember through the right wheelwell. I had to disconnect the right lower shock bolt to drop the trailing arm enough to get the crossmember out, but I have 800# springs in the rear. Softer or stock rear suspension will droop enough to clear it. If not, pop the shock bolt off.

Inspect/check the transmount, and remove/replace as required. Reverse the steps to reassemble.
I purchased the supermount from Pelicanparts, and was wondering if I can use the same changing procedure as APKHAOS described above, or is it necessary to drop the whole transmission to get the crossmember out. In mount's assembly instructions it's described that it would not be necessary to drop the tranny, but how are your experiences of installing this cutie?

How difficult it was to align assy properly to the crossmember?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/.../85-on),%20968

Last edited by mattipuh; 04-21-2009 at 06:09 AM. Reason: pic removed (was tooooo big)
Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same procedure would be applicable to any trans mount including stock, pelican supermount, and lindsey solid mount.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

I just did the same thing last week.

Very easy to do, the tranny rests on the torque tube when completely dropped. Then the crossmember comes out of the left wheelwell, I also had to remove my shock bolt.

Should be the same procedure for the supermounts.

Alan, can you give more example of your clutch judder? and Moook, I have a Spec I clutch also and I get enormous judder but only when the car gets hot after a long ride.

Do you both have this symptom?

Quick Reply: 944 Transmission Mount Replacement