Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch housing removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch housing removal

I tried to remove the clutch housing from my engine today to get it on the stand, but it wouldn't come off. So.... I did the un-American thing and read the manual. It wasn't really clear to me, but I tried to do what it looked like I needed to do. No joy.

So, I read Clark's Garage clutch removal instructions and it says this:

"Thread the long 8 mm thread bolt into the end of the release lever pivot shaft. Remove the release lever pivot shaft by holding the 8 mm bolt with a pair of pliers and tapping the pliers with a hammer or prying with a screwdriver. "

Now, what I think I need is to thread the little bolt from the housing just above the hole into the pin in release lever and tap it out. Am I understanding this right? I tried to thread that bolt into something through that hole and it didn't seem to want to thread into anything. Furthermore I was confused by the threads in the hole.

Any tips on this? Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:05 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Geo,

Assuming that you have the engine and bellhousing out of the car, the easiest way to remove the pivot pin for the clutch release fork is to find the top of the pin (a round hole near the 2 oclock point, when looking from the front of the engine) and using a hammer and pin punch, tap the pin out the bottom.

Of course, make sure that you have the locking bolt (10 mm bolt head with 10 mm locknut) completely removed before attempting this. And, of course, if the engine and bellhousing is still in the car, this is impossible.

gb
Old 09-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Grandpa
6th Gear

It sounds from your post like the pivot shaft is counterbored with a threaded hole that can be used to get a grip on the pivot shaft to extract it from the release lever. Try chasing the thread with a tap or lacking a tap, cut longitudinal slots with a hacksaw or a wizz wheel on a grinder on the proper threaded bolt to allow the rust to scrape clear and use plenty of PB blaster.
Hope it helps, won't be long before I will be doing the same job.
Grandpa
Old 09-10-2005, 05:17 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Good luck with this. Mine was horrible. We used a hammer, slide-hammer, torch, hydraulic "jaws of life" ( I sh*t you not) and nothing worked. Eventually we turned the engine over manually and took the flywheel bolts out. Then took the whole assembly to a machine shop to have them remove the pin.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
joonas
Racer

You have to have one extra bolt to pull out pivot shaft holding the fork. Look picture how the fork is connected. The small bolt is just for holding the shaft from falling out when it is not rusted.
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2005, 10:50 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i understand something more clearly than geo does? wow, i'm going to enjoy this moment

with a credit to joonas, the picture shows the pivot rod (in red) which you can pound out with a tap or long screwdriver through the hole (yellow solid line) so the rod comes out the other end (yellow dotted line). i didn't use a bolt in the threaded end of the pivot rod, it was just easier to pound it out from the other end. good luck.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhhh..... I see now! What I saw as a threadeded hole was part of the shaft itself. I have the engine sitting on the hoist (on some plywood and 2x4s) and couldn't get a very good view of it.

Thanks everyone. It makes perfect sense now.

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Ahhhhhh..... I see now! What I saw as a threadeded hole was part of the shaft itself. I have the engine sitting on the hoist (on some plywood and 2x4s) and couldn't get a very good view of it.

Thanks everyone. It makes perfect sense now.
Yes, the instructions are not clear at all, took me about 20 minutes to figure it out and I had the engine out of the car

Quick Reply: Clutch housing removal