Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have car detailed or not? If so, what do I require?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Have car detailed or not? If so, what do I require?

I've always detailed my cars ,myself but right now I'm in a time crunch before winter and am considering a professional detailer. I almost bought a Pcar in Seattle but the person had it detailed and when I looked at it, it had a coat of water droplets all over the inside of the car..including the electronics under the dash. I walked away from a beautiful car. I have experienced enough electrical gremlins to not invite more. They must have used a fire hose! Knowing that corrosion and electrics and Pcars don't go well together, I'm hesitant to take my car to a detailer but would like to have it "cherried out cosmetically" before winter.

What's your experience? Recommendation?

Harvey
Old 09-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For inside the vehicle during storage, there is a moisture dry product that comes in a quart can. It reminded me of silica gel- not sure exactly tho.

I'll repost when I find it.
You just close up your car for the winter with the can open and it keeps the interior nice and dry.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:10 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this "Winter Storage" you speak of?

JK
Old 09-10-2005, 09:25 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be interested in this "Moisture Protection Kit" from tweeks

HERE

Old 09-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Forget that! Put snows on that baby and drive it. Take the $200 detail money and buy yourself 10 hand car washes to limp through the nasty weather
Old 09-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm.. I dont know of this "winter storage" you speak of.

My 924S has been on the road for 8 years straight since I bought it (OK, there were a few months in the last years it was down waiting on parts to arrive..). I do have a lotta luck and the SOW support to help me. Snow up to the eyeballs, and ice 1" thick on the headlights...

but I have stored cars in the past.. the Tweeks kit is what I have used on the old Lambo. (hey - it never ran well.. but it was pretty to look at) and it worked very well.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:11 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to drive the car in winter you will still want a detail with some good paint sealant to protect the paint from all the road salts and other contaminants it will endure through the winter. Paint sealant also protects the paint from fading due to oxidation.

I own a detail shop and can tell right away when older cars have been detailed often or not. It really makes a difference in the long term care of the car.

On the interior I never use any water to clean the dash or anywhere that has electronics. Armor All type product are also very bad for radios, clocks, or anything with LCD displays. Over time repated applications of this dressing builds up behind the display and eventually ruins it. Also Armor All does nothing to clean, it just covers up the dirt.

I have a special product that works very good on dashboards if it is actually dirty. To dust the dash and clean it lighty use furniture polish from an aresol can with a very soft brush around the edges and tight spot.

I suggest all customers get their cars detailed 2x a year here in Michigan. Once before winter for protection against the elements and once after winter. I have detail packages spefic for each season. A car simply needs different protection in the winter.

Quick Reply: Have car detailed or not? If so, what do I require?