Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few qestions/ 944 n/a

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:01 AM
87rb944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few qestions/ 944 n/a

anybody, i'm in the middle of taking the cam tower off, i've allready removed the headers, intake, fans, radiator, front belt covers, water return pipe, loosened the ps pump, what a job!
anyway, should i remove the cam tower before replacing the front seals, or is easier with the tower in place?
will the cam move uot of position, and if so, do i just tun it as close to the timing mark as possible?
should i use liquid( permatex, locktite) gasket on the rear cork gasket?
same onthe main tower gasket?
can i use regular(low grade) ss allen capscrews with washers on the 2 header to exhaust flanges(6 of them, and two of them are hell)
sorry about all the question(rookie at this). i've been searching threads, but nothing. by the way forgot to mention that i'm also doing the cooler, intake and exhaust gaskets(studs came off like they were loose, and cast pipes look strong, although feel heavy, will reuse, have hardware), one of the fans won't turn by hand, so i think it's gone, rad loos good, bs seals and water pump/hoses... hope that's it. TIA
Old 09-07-2005, 12:11 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you should be able to put it back into position before you put it back on. i have mine off right now. Watch out for the lifters dropping out the bottom of the cam tower when you take it off, i suggest you put them back in the same spots they came from as well. I used just a small dab of permatex grey sealant on the cork rear gasket to hold it in place when i put the cap back on, just snug the bolts up dont break them off or anything. Careful w/ the alan bolts make sure you have the right size-6mm IIRC- and dont round them off cuz they are a bia#ch to remove if stripped i hear. The caps are 8mm on the top. Youll want some grade 8 or better bolts for the headers, low grade will snap or strip out.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:53 AM
87rb944
Advanced

thanks, xsboost, i'm thinking of replacing the front cam seals with the tower in place to remove the center bolt(cheesehead?). did you do yours with the cam tower out?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yea mine was on when i did that. ALso pull the rear cam cover-behind the cam sproket- and put the large rubber grommet and small drainback gasket-looks like a small piece of hose- in there too. Carefull w/ that cheesehead bolt. make sure you remove the thin clear gaskets from behind the pulleys and put new ones in. THey are a big deal, should come w/the gasket kit. They keep the pulleys from wearing somehow.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 AM
87rb944
Advanced

great, i'll probably be puting it together this coming weekend but i know it's gonna take some time. looks dirty in there. by the way, i became a member of this website a couple of days ago and glad i did, it's an awesome learning tool. although i'm still listed as a RU, maybe cause of the long weekend...

Quick Reply: few qestions/ 944 n/a