Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear top speed? help me out, for my court case

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Considering you had no insurance, had no functioning speedo, admitted to partaking in the wankification of street racing, and admit to getting busted by doing 20mph over the limit, Id say you walking into a courtroom trying to play Mr Matlock in an attempt to save your *** is probably going to convince everybody you were unfairly targeted and the subject of a giant witch hunt.

You are SOL. You know me, we know it, so lets cut through it.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The umbrella insurance is a stand alone policy not associated with auto insurance or anything else. However, they require all your other insurance to be very high in order for you to get the separate policy since your other insurance will have to pay out before they pay out. 1 mil auto liability insurance probably will cost $1000 a month and most of them are commercial vehicles. I have never heard of a 3 mil policy here but it probably will be more than most people can afford. Anyways, cost of insurance is very expensive and its understandable why many people can't afford it. There are millions of uninsured drivers in California and its a part of life here. Many illegals don't even have driver licenses so needless to say, they have no insurance. All you can do is get uninsured motorists coverage. In the last 2 out 3 years, I have been a victim of 2 uninsured hit and run accidents where the perpetrator were caught. One ended up paying only $2000 for bending the frame of my 944 (including medical) and the other one, the cop didn't even write it up as a hit and run because the lady was apologetic even though both my neighbor and I requested it written up as a hit and run - she totalled both the vehicles hit on top of seriously damaging hers). I got nothing from that accident because there is no uninsured motorist for a car trailer. $2100 total loss.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:01 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would the car have to pass inspection to get liability insurance? I can understand not having full coverage. Also, I'm not suprised that they are talking about a tough sentence, think about all of the wrongs in this case. Street racing, no insurance, speeding, car not inspected, no speedo. He may have only been doing 20 mph over the limit when the cop stopped him but I doubt that he was planning on stopping there if the cop hadn't showed up. If I was the judge sitting on this case, I would be looking at all of the issues and not just thinking, "Ok, student with no insurance doing 20 over the limit." I'm going to see someone with a total dis-regard for traffic safety and laws.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock
are all canadians a-holes....?
Nah. Just Pecksterhead.

Most of them are very nice.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 PM
WhoDak
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgrant
they don't have a "DP 935" listed in their little black book, so they categorize it as a "generic coupe".

Generic coupe!!! Have they even seen the car?!!? A picture of the car?! A rumor floating throught the air? Wow, good deal though.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh thats good to hear. ive just never heard one nice thing come out of his mouth thats all...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:05 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhoDak

Generic coupe!!! Have they even seen the car?!!? A picture of the car?! A rumor floating throught the air? Wow, good deal though.
Yeah... I _TRIED_ my damndest to get them to charge me more, fearing that I wouldn't be covered if anything happened, and didn't want them to accuse me of defrauding them or misrepresenting my car. (There was a guy here, who, until recently, had his CGT insured as a "carerra" simply because CGT wasn't in the book... until he banged it up in front of the Roger's Video store, and now they won't insure him at all).

I showed them the car, explained the history, mods, etc., and they said "generic coupe it is".

It's almost ready to go into the shop to get some front end work fixed (deer strike), and while they bitched about it, they're paying for it to be done right. So far, even after me asking, they haven't talked about upping my premiums or changing my insurance.

*knocks on wood*
Old 09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Verruckt
Rennlist Member

You are a TROLL.
You don't deserve any help from this board. What you deserve is 30 days in jail, a huge fine, and a few thousand hours of community service. Driving a unregistered, uninsured, Porsche with an inop speedometer, and while street racing... and to top it all off, you "admitted" to doing all this on a public board. You are an idiot. Don't worry, Rennlist won't ban you for being stupid, but they should ban you for the rest.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

They don't call it "the pokey" for nothing! Hope you lube up.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I have never gotten so upset over a thread here on rennlist like this.

Yeah, you've all heard me slam folks about street racing. And Troll was absolutely a moron for street racing. But that's not what has ticked me off.

Driving without insurance is stupid. And it seems Troll isn't interested in rectifying (pun intended) that just yet:
Originally Posted by Troll
...the reason behind not having insurance is because i recently aquired this vehicle and it has aftermarket header and no cat.

i have to get it smog legal in order to obtain insurance.
and
...and i'd love to get insurance, and i plan on doing so very soon. i've only been without it for a month...
So that implies that your STILL driving without insurance even after your little street racing episode?

But that's not what really urkes me either.

THIS is what pisses me off to no end:
Originally Posted by Rip It
Hey troll, I just installed a chair lift for my 41 yr. old wife, she USED to love ball roon dancing, no amount of insurance will ever make it right, the speeding tractor trailer never even slowed down. I guess u might say she's lucky to be alive, someone like YOU ( no insurance) could spend the rest of YOUR life paying for medical care, drive on you're right u don't need insurance.
Troll responded to this by saying:
i am sorry about your wife, but if someone like YOU could tell her ill go out clubbin for her this weekend, it'd be appreciated.
That is the most rudest, coldest thing I have ever seen. Troll, for the record, it sounds very apparent that Rip It's wife is confined to a wheel chair - SHE CANNOT WALK FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE. And you make a comment that you'll go out dancing for her? That's cold. She can never walk again, let alone dance. GET IT?

And then you accuse Rip It for being unthoughtfull? My God, words cannot describe how utterly insensitive and cruel your comments are towards Rip It.

I've NEVER in my life ever said this to anyone EVER, and if I get banned for saying this, I don't care: Troll, go F*CK yourself.

Rip It: I am so sorry to hear what happened to your love. Your story saddens me to tears. (My wife enjoys ballroom dancing as well) Based on your comments, I can see that you love your wife dearly. She is very fortunate to have you - a lesser man would not be there for her now. May God give you and her the strenght to go on.

Rant over,
-Zoltan.

Last edited by Z-man; 09-09-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

This thread is beat....Lock er up...
Old 09-09-2005, 12:30 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Well said Z-man. RipIt and I had a great time during a recent GTG and he absolutely does not deserve such thoughtlessness. Where is the personal accountability in this thread? You get behind the wheel and do stupid things and most of this thread speaks of getting off or reducing sentences. Common sense should prevent these life lessons from ever taking place. Do the time honorably and pay the fine promptly.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:12 PM
peterr
Advanced

Default No Insurance

The original poster is obviously an idiot and deserves to face some serious consequences

But I am just astonished that anyone would consider driving 65 MPH a bigger offense than driving a non street legal car on public roads for over a month without liability insurance.

No insurance? Lock em up. I was once in a situation where I could not afford insurance. Lowest point of my life. Just out of school, unemployed and moved from a small town to a big city looking for work just as my insurance was up for renewal. Almost no one was writing policies for males under 25 in the city, and those that were wanted about 4 times what I had been paying.

What did I do? I parked my car and took the plates off. I would not drive until I had insurance.

On the other hand, I have had 3 speeding tickets in my life, all for going 10 -15 mph over the limit. All were on large roads of three lanes in each direction with no pedestrians and at times with very little traffic. I was not driving dangerously and was not endangering anyone.

All three of these tickets were on the last day of the month. Can you say quota?

I realize that speeding is one of the only objective things that police can measure and target, but stopping people driving 65MPH (in a safe and responsible way) accomplishes nothing other than collecting fines. And I resent on so many levels the coercive power of the police being used in cynical fashion by local governments to collect revenue.

If you need an extra $100 a year to maintain the highways, then tax me. Don't waste cops time and mine by using them as tax collectors.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

troll,

My GPS lets me know " You are over the speed limit " @ 60 ..
I just went into town and when I came from a stop sign turn, by the time I hit 3rd, it was saying " you are over the speed limit " so there you go 3rd = over 60 at least
EDIT: and the GPS currently has a few second delay as I have the data split between too many things.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 PM
X 944 X
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Insurance won't get you out of paying lifetime medical bills. It only pays up to $30k and 15k for injury to one person / 30k for injury to more than one person (total from accident)/ 5k for total property damage is all is required in Ca. Most people don't have 300k/500k insurance like I do with a 1 mil liability umbrella policy. Its a false sense of security that insurance will pay for everything. Read your policy. If someone hits another, they are financially responsible to pay. You can legally bypass having insurance by depositing $30k at the DMV.

can you really get away with no insurance if you give the DMV 30k of your cash to hold on to? i live in Maryland....

thnx!

Quick Reply: 2nd gear top speed? help me out, for my court case