Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear top speed? help me out, for my court case

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:12 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving with no insurance is NOT an infraction. In NYS (at least) it is a FELONY!!

After reading this post (see below), someone of reasonable intelligence could only believe that he was actually driving with no PROOF of insurance, as that would only be an infraction.

Originally Posted by troll
no insurance = infraction
speed contest = misdameaner

anyone else?

thanks all that have put their input in!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:13 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by tifosiman
"Making their way, the only way they know how. That's just a little bit more than the law allows. Done all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law, since the day they were born."
Guuug Guuug
Old 09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tedwright
Driving with no insurance is NOT an infraction. In NYS (at least) it is a FELONY!!

After reading this post (see below), someone of reasonable intelligence could only believe that he was actually driving with no PROOF of insurance, as that would only be an infraction.
I agree. Until he wrote this, which threw all doubt out the proverbial window:

the reason behind not having insurance is because i recently aquired this vehicle and it has aftermarket header and no cat.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:22 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I agree. Until he wrote this, which threw all doubt out the proverbial window:
Old 09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
SBeach
Track Day

Actually in NY uninsured motor vehicle is only a traffic infraction punishable by a civil penalty of $500 (Vtl 319).
The catch is once you don't have insurance in effect a suspension of your registration is close behind. That's a misdemeanor which could = jail time (but not likely). Suspensions only become felonies in the case of DWI related suspensions where the operator is again charged with DWI. Uninsured motor vehicle alone isn't the heinous offense people think, kind of like unlicensed operator (driving a car when you simply don't have a license) where people assume you'll go to prison when in fact all you get is a violation ticket. Keep in mind I'm in NY and statutes vary from state to state. Enough legal lessons for today...
Old 09-07-2005, 04:39 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My close friend received a ticket for having no insurance. I believe it was aggravated uninsured operation or something close to that. They towed the vehicle and arrested him. $1000 bail and it was not even his car. (I was the one who went down and bailed him out, so I know!) I will find out if I am correct in what was on the ticket. It was all dropped in court because of the circumstances, but I remember there *could* have been a serious sentence.

Edit: Maybe this was considered a different violation because he was involed in an at-fault accident when he was arrested?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 PM
SBeach
Track Day

If your lucky enough to get caught BEFORE the Department of Motor Vehicles realizes your sans insurance and suspends you
(hence the AUO charge) then all your looking at is operating while uninsured. In that respect Troll was lucky. Had they
suspended him he'd have been in the same hot water as your friend. 3 levels of AUO in NY, 3rd & 2nd being misdemeanors and 1st being a felony.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:53 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by tedwright
Edit: Maybe this was considered a different violation because he was involed in an at-fault accident when he was arrested?
I would think that might have SOMETHING to do with it
Old 09-07-2005, 04:57 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SBeach
If your lucky enough to get caught BEFORE the Department of Motor Vehicles realizes your sans insurance and suspends you
(hence the AUO charge) then all your looking at is operating while uninsured. In that respect Troll was lucky. Had they
suspended him he'd have been in the same hot water as your friend. 3 levels of AUO in NY, 3rd & 2nd being misdemeanors and 1st being a felony.
Thanks for the information.

FWIW, my friend was doing someone a favor by driving the car, he had no idea that it wasn't insured. Yes, it was his responsibility to verify that it was before getting behind the wheel, but still. . . Anyways, he knows that now!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given that the one charge is a misdemeanor I would guess you've been offered a coourt appointed attorney.
In cases like this they can be your best bet. There are some VERY good court appointees (PM MichelleJD, if you want to know how good) and unlike your highly paid "big gun" the court appointee may play golf with the judge, or lunch, or etc. I want the guy who knows the judge.

As to your "infractions" you should have seen the refinery strength flames coming from a lightyear away.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:09 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMAXX
But that’s 3million Canadian.
Which is more than 2.5 mill USD
Old 09-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

believe it or not ...

In Georgia, if you have a vehicle registered in another state, they do not require you to have insurance ... Don't ask, long story ... well, OK

A looong time ago, when I was even more stupid, I hit a car that was standing still ( 50 mph traffic, no left turn lane, van in front of me swerved at last minute ...never saw the car..no where to go .. bam !! ) Totalled my truck, put trunk in back seat of other car .......

Court : Plead Guilty- No proof of insurance.. not guilty to traveling too close ( bad intersection )
Judges findings : NOT guilty of no proof of insurance, guilty of following too close .. small fine

since then I have always had insurance ....

save the flames, I know it was stupid and learned my lesson, as troll will learn his the hard way.

Don
Old 09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not sure how things work in Canada but in order to get higher than 1 mil, you have to increase your homeowner's insurance and auto insurance to much more than what I have. How much is your auto insurance limit? In order to get 1 mil, you have to get more than 600k of auto insurance, which is close to 20 times the required amount. Multiply that for the 4 cars I insure, it adds up. To get to 3 mil, I would imagine I have to more than double the amount for my auto and homeowner's insurance for both properties. Also, I would imagine L. A. having the highest insurance rates anywhere due to all the insurance fraud and staged/planned accidents. Heck, my insurance costs more than car payments for a lot of cars every month.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I am not sure how things work in Canada but in order to get higher than 1 mil, you have to increase your homeowner's insurance and auto insurance to much more than what I have. How much is your auto insurance limit? In order to get 1 mil, you have to get more than 600k of auto insurance, which is close to 20 times the required amount. Multiply that for the 4 cars I insure, it adds up. To get to 3 mil, I would imagine I have to more than double the amount for my auto and homeowner's insurance for both properties. Also, I would imagine L. A. having the highest insurance rates anywhere due to all the insurance fraud and staged/planned accidents. Heck, my insurance costs more than car payments for a lot of cars every month.
In BC right now, my car insurance is $82/month for my 1982 DP 935. Part of that is because they don't have a "DP 935" listed in their little black book, so they categorize it as a "generic coupe".

As to the > $1 million, car insurance is handled by the Insurance Corp of BC (ICBC), and is separate from other insurance like homeowners, D&O, etc.

I have the maximum discount for safe driving and no claims (45% or thereabouts), $3 million liability, as well as uninsured motorist protection... among other things. (Rental car in case of accident, etc.).

I've seen too many idiots like Troll screw up other people's lives to NOT drive without that kind of coverage.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What???

For a moderator you seem to have poor reading comprehension skills.

This guy sounds like a complete moron, he deserves whatever he gets.
are all canadians a-holes....?

Quick Reply: 2nd gear top speed? help me out, for my court case