Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My o my..another lost

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 02:00 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzo Booker
Please, its not for the sake of drag racing people. It's for the thrill & the excitement that only comes forth when racing a performance thorough bred against other makes with similar specs. For me to have a win will simply imply a superb engineered machine. A superb engineered machine that I own. That alone, makes life great & the reason why I drive a Porsche.
Youre trying to show off the suberb engineering in EXACTLY the WRONG way.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stellar_Developer
crap, and all this time i thought it was to drive fast. /me wonders if it will make milkshakes :P

These cars love making milkshakes... be careful... you don't want em... they taste AWEFUL!
Old 09-04-2005, 02:57 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Please, its not for the sake of drag racing people. It's for the thrill & the excitement that only comes forth when racing a performance thorough bred against other makes with similar specs. For me to have a win will simply imply a superb engineered machine. A superb engineered machine that I own. That alone, makes life great & the reason why I drive a Porsche.

Lorenzo,

If you're up for racing, that's perfectly fine. as you've probably noticed, about 95% of the people here (including me) think street racing/drag racing is not only dumb and dangerous, but it has been PROVEN to be detrimental to the car in many conditions... rolling starts in second, OK... honestly, not much of a problem for the car...

HOWEVER... I offer another option to you. it must be followed in these steps:
1) earn $100.00 or so...
2)go to www.pca.org
3) find your reigon, join. costs $50.00
4) discover when the next autocross is
5) enroll in it (other $50.00)
6) enjoy. if you like it (I'd be surprised if you didn't), find when the PCA is doing it's next DE, and enroll in that...prices may vary.
7) you have reached Porsche enlightenment... the knowledge of what kind of driving your car was built for, responsible driving, safe driving, and the thrill of making your car faster by upgrading the nut behind the wheel...
Old 09-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brings up an interesting thought, why do we all drive Porsches anyway?
I got my car because I've always liked the way they look and I also enjoy starting with a broken car (blown timing belt in this case) and making it right again. Someone I grew up with was selling it for $500 so I took it. It's been a fun little project and I've learned a lot Maybe someday I'll be able to do the same with a 928 or another model, that would be a challenge.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my first 944 as a daily driver in 1998. It appealed to me because it:

- has a galvanized body, offering good protection from rust
- performs reasonably well in terms of power/speed for an every day car
- handles better than most cars
- brakes better than most cars
- is rear wheel drive, with the transaxle in the rear
- gets 30mpg on the freeway
- has a good safety rating
- has good parts availability
- is practical as far as sporty cars go; plenty of room to carry stuff in a hatch back like that
- feels sturdy and solid; feels like good quality
- uses better quality materials throughout than average cars
- is still reasonably light, at 2,700 or so pounds
- has a reputation for being reliable if you maintain it
- was in my price range at the time and I knew good ones weren't going to get any cheaper (and they haven't)
- was better looking and more interesting than any other practical car in my price range
- is regarded by many as one of the world's great driver's cars
- is not a "throwaway car" like a Hyundai or Honda or something
- is a Porsche, and one can feel good about owning and driving a Porsche of any age, whereas a 10+ year old Ford or Mazda or something is just a flimsy eyesore.

I had no particular affinity for Porsche before buying my first 944. I was impressed with them from the first time I sat in and drove one, though. Several months into ownership of my first one, I was hooked on the quality, feel, etc.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:19 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Cue Z-Man in 5............4.................................
Old 09-04-2005, 08:14 AM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drag racing and street racing are not the same, as for drag racing being dangerous, well it's motorsport and as such if you want they will allow you to put a government health warnign on the side of your precious automobile, street racing however is just plain stupid.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to street race a MX-6 you should shift at 9K rpm. Now, normally the rev limited would kick it, but if you rev to the limit and shift down a gear, you can get 9k rpm.

Nah, don't do that. Too expensive. Just buy a hat with a Porsche crest and a hammer. Play hit the crest with the hammer. Only works if you swing hard though.

Quick Reply: My o my..another lost