Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem

Here's the problem. When I try to start the car the engine cranks and then something seems to let go (for lack of a better explanation) and the tach jumps up I hear a little whine, the engine stops cranking and the car doesn't start. Turn key off and it sometimes happens again or it starts ok. I just replaced the starter a few months ago with a rebuilt one.

I hate the thought of getting stuck and hate when car is not running. Help!!!

Last edited by jeeper31; 09-05-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:44 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

bump
Old 09-05-2005, 07:44 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Anyone?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Since the engine is rotating, the next things to check are spark and fuel. No spark could be caused by bad ignition rotor/cap, reference sensor, or DME. No fuel could be caused by bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay (known as DME relay on later cars), or reference sensor. clarks garage also has a no-start troubleshooting guide that may be of aid.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:58 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

It usually starts fine on the second or third tries. It seems that engine starts to rotate then "lets go" and I just here the whine.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

maybe starter is only engaging for a second before the little gear retracts? and the whine you hear is the gear spinning? not sure
Old 09-06-2005, 12:21 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check your connections on the pos/neg bat terminals and perhaps the starter itself again. I had a problem w/ the ref. sensor plugs getting buggered up and you could wiggle them and it would start fine. How old is your battery?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like what you said. starter engages. then the little gear lets go or something. could be grounds. but if it keeps spinning.(still getting power) it might be the starter itself.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:04 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by wizkid918
maybe starter is only engaging for a second before the little gear retracts? and the whine you hear is the gear spinning? not sure
This is a good way to describe it and sounds plausible.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:58 PM
painkiller
Racer

Dan, I would say the same as xsboost, check all your grounds and all the connections on the starter, low battery voltage could be the culprit too. If the starter still turns with no engine cranking it is the starter solonoid, which is cheap and easy to replace. If that is the problem take the opportunity to remove and clean the inside of the starter, mine had about a pound of carbon dust inside and the gears needed some grease.

HTH

John
Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by painkiller
Dan, I would say the same as xsboost, check all your grounds and all the connections on the starter, low battery voltage could be the culprit too. If the starter still turns with no engine cranking it is the starter solonoid, which is cheap and easy to replace. If that is the problem take the opportunity to remove and clean the inside of the starter, mine had about a pound of carbon dust inside and the gears needed some grease.

HTH

John
Checked the battery cables and they are tight. I didn't have a chance to chweck the grounds (anybody know where they are?). As far as the starter it is a new one that I just installed in the end of june. IF that is the case I am going to just pull it out and let them bench test it.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:05 AM
painkiller
Racer

Hey Dan, they may be tight but you need to remove each grounding point (and positive) clean with some abrasive like a sanding sponge or sandpaper, a battery terminal cleaner for the batt posts and apply some dilectric grease to all electrical connections.

Main grounds are inside the batt box(short cable that attaches to the inside of the box) and the top of the bellhousing which is a pia to access. Just follow the cables and you will find them. The positive lead go to the starter and then altrnator. From what you have described the solonoid sounds like the problem. Was it replaced with the starter? If it spins but does not engage the flywheel it is the solonoid which costs $15-20 dollars. It still may be corrosion on the starter attachment points adding resistance which could cause the solonoid not to engage. Clean and grease them, reattach + and - cables and give it a shot.

The copper braided ground from the solonoid to the starter could be causing the problem as well so check it and make sure it is not frayed or corroded.

Let us know what you find.

John
Old 09-19-2005, 08:46 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Did some work on the starter and as usuall broke someint tryin to fix something. I hav now stripped the screw were the ground wire is attached to the solonoid (not the nut). IS this easily fixed? Bringing it back to where I got it to bench test it.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:55 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

WOW!!!!! something goes my way for a change. I bought starter from a place called Foreign Auto Electric (FAE) which coincidentally is less than a mile from where I work. I brought it in today and placed it gently on the table there and said I don't think this is working right. I also told them that in my efforts to tighten the connections I have stripped the ground connection. He said they will check it out and that I can have it back around noon. I asked if they wanted a contact number and he said just come back after lunch. When I went back they just handed me my starter. Told me the solenoid was bad and they replaced it (that also took care of the stripped connector). NO CHARGE, ZIP, NO DINERO...FREE!!!! It's nice to have something go smoothly for a change.

Quick Reply: Starting problem