Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here know how to reduce the angle of the steering wheel a tiny bit...???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 01:15 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike - thanks- I'll check that out...

Xboost- are you referring to movign the wholoe column out, including the signal/wiper/cruise switches? This might work, in conjunction w/the standard 15mm momo space r...

Clint- I'll see what I can do about the pic, but, here's the basic idea... I would like to be ~2" further back in the car- as close to that as I can get, &, it looks like Ill only be able to get 1" further back while still being able to reach the wheel, shifter, console, etc.... I like to have my arm stretched out w/a slight bend while still having shoulders against seat... I have slightly long arms, so, would like the pedals to be a spaced a HAIR closer to the seat than the wheel- so, 1" wheel & 2" pedals.... as for the seat position, I will be closer to the rear of adjustment than to the front, but, will still have plenty of room to go back IF I needed, which I wont... The seat ALSO will have at LEAST 1/2" of room to go downward- I'm slightly closer to the bottom than to the top of adjusment range, but, still have room on both ends... Also, I like to have the wheel a TINY bit lower than stock & Porsche did not see fit to offer us an adj steering column, so... IF I bring the wheel 1" closer to me, the upward angle of the wheel will INCREASE the height of it slightly- I also have a 350mm wheel, which brings it 15mm UP off my legs b/c of the reduced diameter- combined, this will raise the wheel ~20mm above stock... SO, if I bring it down a tiny bit, it will work back out... Does this make sense? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk- I'm being sincere- it's just that this car DOES have an unusual seating position & the pedal relationship (to the wheel) is sort of bad- particularly the clutch- you have to take it all the way to the floor & it's REALLY way down in there- everone who's been in my car completely agrees... Most people here just get used to it,. but, I want to do something about it... The hard part is the wheel- bringing it down (IF I can) & bringing it towards me a tiny bit more while not moving it further away from the turn signal....

Last edited by Robby; 08-31-2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:14 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the column bolts to the bottom of the dash. If you put spacers between them, it will lower the column down, that was your question right?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Xboost- yes, my original question was in reference to lowering the angle of the wheel slightly, but, I ALSO would like to bring the wheel a hair closer to me too- IN addition to the 15mm Momo spacer that is, &, the only prob here lies in the fact that any more spacing would move the wheel further from the turn signal switch- this is no good... SO, moving the WHOLE column closer to me would, I assume(?) move the switches closer too, right...? Anyway, my question now, is- you said to put spacers b/t the column & bottom of dash- how would this LOWER the wheel? I could see it bringing it closer to me, which, would get me part way where I want to be, but, how would it lower it? Also, are you, or anyone else here, familiar w/the brass U-shaped piece that Kevin M. posted about in my X-post about this? It's supposed to be inside the car, after the fire-wall, but, I can't seem to locate it- I HAVE noticed the way the whole rod runs under the dash & into the firewall & it appears that several points would have to be adjusted to change the angle of the wheel.... Anyone...?

Thanks a lot....
Old 08-31-2005, 09:43 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The bolts that hold it on go this way: ^^^^^
Old 08-31-2005, 09:44 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Robby - You've explained lots of things in your posts but you still haven't answered the really simple question.

Why do you want to be ~2" farther back?

You've gone through piles of words to explain what seating position you want and where you want controls to be but the challenge you're facing all stems from this desire to be 2" further back than you would be naturally. You've moved the pedals 1-2" so you can sit farther back. You want to move the steering wheel 1-2" so you can sit farther back. Now the signal and wiper controls are out of reach. Now the shifter is too far forward. Now the steering wheel is too high...

We all understand the problems you're trying to solve but the all stem from your desire to sit 2" farther back. So people here are asking why is that a desire?

Do what you like, of course, but you have to understand, no one else seems to have the same problem you are. So naturally, we're all wondering.

So skip the rest of what you're trying to solve. In 10 words or less can you explain why you want to be 2" farther back in the car? You've covered all the other parts of your problem in excruciating detail. So skip that. Why do you want to be 2" farther back in the car?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
Robby - You've explained lots of things in your posts but you still haven't answered the really simple question.

Why do you want to be ~2" farther back?

You've gone through piles of words to explain what seating position you want and where you want controls to be but the challenge you're facing all stems from this desire to be 2" further back than you would be naturally. You've moved the pedals 1-2" so you can sit farther back. You want to move the steering wheel 1-2" so you can sit farther back. Now the signal and wiper controls are out of reach. Now the shifter is too far forward. Now the steering wheel is too high...

We all understand the problems you're trying to solve but the all stem from your desire to sit 2" farther back. So people here are asking why is that a desire?

Do what you like, of course, but you have to understand, no one else seems to have the same problem you are. So naturally, we're all wondering.

So skip the rest of what you're trying to solve. In 10 words or less can you explain why you want to be 2" farther back in the car? You've covered all the other parts of your problem in excruciating detail. So skip that. Why do you want to be 2" farther back in the car?
That is what I wanted to know as well.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hugh- Actually, I've had to repeat several things b/c I've been re-asked, AND, several of my original posts have been misread, etc, so, have had to clarify... Just like when YOU said that the "shifter is too far away"- I NEVER said that- the shifter's fine... except for an annoying vibration ala short shift ****... I never said the wiper control was too far away either- JUST the signal- I like the wiper control being far away for obvious reasons... In any event, I DID answer the question right after Tifo's first reply here:

"Basically, I want to get an inch or two further back in the car to be further underneath the SR when open..."

BTW- I completely understand people wondering WHY... that does not bother me in the least & I am not in the least bit irritated now, nor have I been, at any other time during this post... So far, I'm reading Alan Gun's website right now & am still trying to find the thing that Kevin M mentioned in my X-post on this, plus, am trying to grasp what Xboost is saying- I DO VERY MUCH appreciate all of this input & might be able to get this to work w/one of these suggestions... I just need a little more clarification...

thanks guys...
Old 08-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tifo- THANK YOU! NOW it makes sense, what Xboost was saying... I'm going down to look at this again right now....
Old 08-31-2005, 02:36 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

I agree with Tifo, all the commas and ... make for run-on sentence and ... don't count as punctuation.

If you need to move the steering wheel and block the pedals to get under the sunroof why don't you just buy a cabriolet and that will solve your problem.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:38 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Robby - ahh. Now I see. Forgive me for not seeing that in your posts. I tend to skim your posts because they are on the long side.

Speaking of which, I have some advice. I do mean advice because I think you're one of the more interesting people on the list.

Less is more.

As in less words. Your posts in this thread alone average around 300 words, with a high of 400 and the shortest one being around 100. Your first post is very likely shorter than that, actually.

Punctuation isn't what makes a sentence a run on sentence or not. It's how many words and concepts you're trying to address in each sentence.

Paragraphs are your friend. They help give the reader an understanding of when a topic starts and stops.

The use of capitalization to emphasize words is an interesting writing style but doesn't convey your message any better than not using capitalization.

But back to your question and what you're trying to solve.

Interesting project. I'm surprised you don't feel the shifter is too far away. The shifter should be on the same arc as the steering wheel if you maintained your arm in the same position as when holding the steering wheel. To those with short shifters which are just cut down shift levers, it should also be on the same horizontal plane so that shorter lever is a bad idea.

But I digress.

Porsche did a fairly good job of getting the ergonomics of the 85.5+ dash right so I'm at a loss how moving the steering wheel back 20mm doesn't mess with that in a noticeable way. Both the turnsignal and wiper controls should be reachable without removing your hand from the wheel but with a 20mm change in position, you must have some very impressive fingers to still reach those without taking your hands off the wheel.

I'm an old guy (at least it feels like that when I read this board), so maybe I'm just stuck in my old ways.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

mpd- I'd love to have a Cab- I'd also love to have the money to buy a FEW of them, but.....

Hugh- that's cool- I appreciate your input- the capitalization was just a quicker way for me to emphasize instead of using the bold face that many others used to do.... I think it shows emphasis, but, it's probably not neccessary...

The turn signal- spaced at 20mm, it IS getting to the limit- it's at the end of my fingers- I have slightly large hands, but, not that big- I can barely palm a basketball & I can't palm one that's smooth- it has to be an outdoor-grippy-style...... Anyway, the signal distance is my prob- much more than 20mm & I WOULD have to remove my hand from the wheel- 15mm is PERFECT- 20mm was a hair far, but, I got used to it & it's fine now... The turn signal was really close when stock anyway... The wiper is REALLY close- lots of people here accidentally hit it w/their nuckles... But, remember, 20mm isn't even a full inch....

The shifter is another story- It's a short-shift lever, but, it's adjustable & I really don't have it changed much at all from stock- I bought it mostly to change *****... have had lots of vibration probs w/it though...

As for the ergonomics, I do agree that they did a great job & one of the main areas I always stand up for is the interior & it's looks... But, the ONLY way to get the steering wheel closer w/out messing things up is to space the pedals too... I want to be slightly more upright- not vertical, but, just a little more upright... I have slightly long arms, so, I can reach the wheel better than the pedals- therefore, I'm spacing the pedals an inch or so more- I bought some stuff today to make new ones with, but, looking at everything, I'm thinking 2 1/8"" & 2 1/5" (accel/brake & clutch) might be a little too far- it will feel funny eventually- so, I think I'm going to go 2" & 2.25" respectively... the good thing about this part is, it's easy & cheap to experiment with...

thanks for all the input... anymore info/ideas on the wheel stuff would be appreciated...

Quick Reply: Anyone here know how to reduce the angle of the steering wheel a tiny bit...???