Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here know how to reduce the angle of the steering wheel a tiny bit...???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005 | 05:01 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Anyone here know how to reduce the angle of the steering wheel a tiny bit...???

I e-mailed Albert Broadfoot a few months back about engine rebuilds- he said he had done it- he hasn';t gotten back to me on it- does anyone here know how to bring the wheel down a tiny bit? I woudl KILL to get the wheel down one inch- not sure how much angle that would be reducing it, but, I'd take whatever I could get...

thanks
Robby
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:27 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Hack saw? I don't think its gonna be too easy... maybe if you cnc a spacer on the column mounting points? dunno...
~Eyal
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:42 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

usually people complain that it's too low..
Old 08-29-2005 | 06:20 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Don 944 LA
usually people complain that it's too low..
I've never heard that about the 85.5 & up... I HAVE heard it about the pre-85.5's though... Of course, I still don't understand it... but.... to each their own, right... ?

1st, it's better to be sitting lower in the car... to a point, that is... Not dumb-*** low, like people who wear their pants halfway down their butts, but, slightly lower in the car helps the driver to feel the chassis better- according to Vic Elford, etc...

Anyway, I'm trying to get further back in the car- I made some pedal spacers(~1.6" clutch & 1.5" accel/brake). Then, I stacked a 15mm Momo spacer & the 5mm horn bezel for a total of 20mm for the wheel. I'm going to go to ~2 1/2" clutch & 2 1/8" accel/brake, soon. The steering wheel's the prob. Stock, the wheel's too close to the switches, ESPECIALLY the wiper switch. At 15mm, the distance is perfect- even 20mm is near-perfect. But, much over 20mm is starting to put the signal switch too far away. Any ideas on how to fix this? If I could, I'd go to ~ 1.5"...

Anyway, the wheel angles UP- the further away the wheel is spaced, the higher up it gets... not only THAT, BUT, most aftermarket wheels are 350mm- stock was 380mm- this makes the wheel 15mm higher at the bottom... combining this w/the angle, etc, & it gets kind of high... I really like the wheel to be low enough so that I can hold it w/my knee- I don't want it touching all the time, but, I like to be able to raise my leg just a hair & get it... I just need to drop the wheel a tiny bit- 1" would be GREAT.... But again, I'd take what I could get...

Any ideas here?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:15 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

I'd kill to be able to raise my wheel 1 inch. Even 1/2 inch.
Old 08-29-2005 | 08:40 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
I'd kill to be able to raise my wheel 1 inch. Even 1/2 inch.

Is your seat height adjustable?

These cars seem to be made for taller people... I can understand someone REALLY tall (or heavier-set) needing it to be higher... Of course, it's a personal thing... One thing you CAN do is get a Momo, or Sparco, (if you haven't already)- Going to a standard 350mm size would put the wheel up (off your legs) 15mm, which, is a little over half an inch... of course, it would ALSO LOWER the TOP of the wheel by 15mm too... is it the height of the top, or, the bottom (or both) that's bothering you? Albert told me that he could only LOWER the wheel, not RAISE it. I know that doesn't help you.... sorry man... But, would a smaller wheel help out, like I mentioned? SOME of the Momo's are now 340mm, which, would even take a tiny bit more off- for that matter, they make them at least as small as 250mm, but, anything below ~300mm would look pretty silly IMO... I think there is a common 325 or maybe 335... Mine is a Competition- I can't remember the next smaller size it came in- I was really leary of the 350mm before I got it- was wishing I could have gotten it ~335mm. After getting it installed, though, I fell in love w/it! The grip is a little fatter than the stock Porsche AB wheel & the diameter being smaller makes the steering FEEL a little heavier, plus, it looks a lot better- I WISH I could make the steering even heavier... Oh well... I got a little here & a little there & gave up nothing (now that I finally got the damn horn working...
Old 08-29-2005 | 09:36 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

??? take the spacers out and put it back how it was. You dont want spacers on your pedals. If you want to sit lower get some racing seats, dont sit in the hatch.
Old 08-29-2005 | 09:47 AM
mbonner
Racer

You can get a factory 3 spoke wheel which has a 2" spacer built into it. They were sold to provide some adjustment for the wheel position.

Alan Gun's leather website has a good description of the set-up. I have the 4 spoke, but wheb I get the extended 3 spoke re-covered with leather I'm putting it on thr car to get more legroom.
Mike
Old 08-29-2005 | 10:01 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

OK, I am totally lost.

Explain again, in case I missed it, why exactly are you trying to get far back in regards to seating position? (if you can do it in something other than a run-on 900-word sentance it would help prevent the need for me to take a Midol before reading your post ).

Do you have some strange bio-mechanical problem that necessitates this? Have you spent anytime with an instructor in regards to proper seating position in the car?
Old 08-29-2005 | 11:34 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i think in order to get the seat lower, he is sliding it all the way back then spacing everything out to reach him back further. I just dont see this as safe, but im just a PCA tech inspector. Get a lower seat.
Old 08-30-2005 | 07:38 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok guys... the question was simply... "does anyone know how to reduce the angle of the steering wheel a tiny bit?" That's not so complicated now, is it....?

But, if you need to know.... please concentrate on the words "tiny bit"- THEN, follow me closely...

I want to get back in the car a TINY BIT- while STILL being able to reach everything correctly- the pedals are covered- for 1.5yrs I've had 1.5" - 1.75" spacers w/Sparco pedal covers...

The part about sitting lower in the car (Xbooost) was misREAD, evidently- I SAID- "it's better to be sitting lower in the car... to a point, that is..." I then mentioned something about how I HATE seeing guys sitting WAY low in their cars, eye-level w/the top of the wheel- it's about as ridiculous as seeing guys (often the same ones) walking around w/their pants hanging so low they have to keep their legs spread wider to keep them from falling down their skinny asses.

As for my seat adjustment, there is no issue- my 8-way elec adj seats have ~1" to go DOWNWARD & ~2" to go BACKWARDS so I have more range than I'll ever need. I DO NOT want to sit further back than I can reach the controls, shifter, wheel, etc. I DO want the pedals to be a hair closer, as in 2.0" (& 2.5" for clutch), so that I can sit a HAIR more upright, but, that's just technical stuff b/c the pedals are pretty far underneath the dash...

Basically, I want to get an inch or two further back in the car to be further undereneath the SR when open... simple as that, although I DO want to change the relatioship of pedals to wheel a tiny bit to get slightly more upright in the car- SLIGHTLY....

Tifo- Midol??? Are you sure guys are supposed to be taking that??? Did I beat 900 words? I DID punctuate, so, it's not a run-on sentence....
Old 08-30-2005 | 07:41 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike- thanks for the suggestion, but, 2" would be too far w/out doing something to the turn-signal stalks- did Alan Gun change this, or, is he just having to remove his hands & move forward to reach the signal stalk? Do you have a link to his site? I would love to see it... I'm at 20mm right now- 1" = 25.4mm- I would LOVE to get 30mm or so... 2" = 50.8mm, so, that's probably a hair further than I want anyway, but, IF I can adjust the turn signal stalk, I can fix this...

thanks
Robby
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:50 PM
mbonner
Racer

Alan Gun Leather Accessories, google it. He makes replacement leather shift boots and steering wheel cover very well. I bought a leather boot for the shifter and a leather cover for my 4 spoke steering wheel. Excellent quality. What I was trying to say was that I bought a heavily used 3 spoke spare wheel to use while my 4 spoke was being recovered, and on his website Alan says there are 2 types of 3 spoke wheels, one has a spacer built in like mine and he has pics and full explanations.
Visit the site and see what I'm trying to explain.
Mike
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:58 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Hey Robby,
I kinda curious...your description has given me an odd picture in my mind. Could you take a pic of what your ideal driving position would be?

It seems like your trying to move everything back and angle the steering wheel down more, right?

~Clint
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:29 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

put some washers between the collumn and the dash...

Quick Reply: Anyone here know how to reduce the angle of the steering wheel a tiny bit...???