Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get gas now

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bearone
i just want to be able to get it without the lines of '73.

Hear! Hear! to that!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only way the lines of 73 or 77 will come back is if we apply price control. Anyone who has seen a supply/demand curve knows if you apply a price ceiling less than the equibrillium price, there will be a shortage between the units demanded at that ceiling price versus the units the suppliers are willing to produce at that price. Let the market determine what happens. When the gas price gets to $10 per gallon, maybe people will start to use hybrids with regenerative braking and at $100 a gallon, maybe we will start to look at alternative fuel.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:20 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Well, I just read that Katrina subsided to a nice, calm category 3 storm when it hit.
That is tongue in cheek right? I mean Cat 3 is still a powerful storm. Storm surge was only 15' instead of 28'. That is still enough to swamp the city. I think we will see pics of the French Quarter with 10 to 20' of water.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:26 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
Hear! Hear! to that!
you gotta be as old as i am. i had a dinosaur as a pet, did you?

Last edited by bearone; 08-29-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Showers at work would be impossible to have since the city is so **** about possible residing at a non residential zone. My brother in AZ calls California communfornia because you need a building permit to replace a faucet in your own house. Kelly was telling me yesterday they require a permit to paint a building in the city of Monterey Park and you also need a permit to MOVE. The lack of showers maybe due to city/county regulations instead of employer apathy. Don was also saying in L. A. county, they use current satellite pictures in an automated system to compare with county records of buildings with permits in order to detect unauthorized buildings (meaning everything including your tool shed - where is the permit for your tool shed foundation?).

I believe there should be showers at work and mandatory bike days along with bike friendly routes. That will take care of many health issues with some of the obese people and medical expenses shouldered by us. Screw the OPEC and their exploitation.
Yep. The brilliance of city/county government mentality. . .

In The People's Republic of Santa Monica, you need a community review (full-blown hearing) to repaint your own house a different color - at least a friend of mine did. Just the approval process took something like five months.

Government and big business makes too much off people being fat, lazy, stupid and oil-dependent to do anything really meaningful about it. If we want to change things, we have to do it ourselves - there's no incentive for the people holding the power officially do do anything really significant. . .

LADBS (Building & Safety) is a HUGE bureaucracy. They can track and red-flag a tool shed in Watts in order to soak the property owner for $2,000 in permits, fines and fees, but when you try to build a friggin' 240 sq. ft. electrical equipment enclosure on an EXISTING building, you'll run into the most ridiculous maze of bureaucratic hell you could ever imagine. . . I had to get an approval from the LAKE CASTIAC WATER MANAGEMENT AGENCY (WTF?), the County Sanitation Commission, and a few others for this. . . That's just one small example of the fun we deal with on a daily basis. . .

Just goes to show, they're real efficient at making sure people are flowing their money to 'em, but if you're not paying, they lay a nice maze of cracks for you to fall into and (hopefully) get lost in.

I simply love the logic of zoning. . . Make sure people can't live in "non-residential" zones. . . God forbid it undermine the overpriced housing markets and the tax dollars they funnel into the city. . .

You ever read "Recycled Spaces" by Vinny Lee and Ron Main? Fantastic book documenting commercial space conversions to residences. It's a truly creative solution to a number of urban problems including blight, adaptive reuse, revitalization, housing, etc. Of course the "powers that be" in their infinite wisdom discourage such things. . .
Old 08-29-2005, 04:28 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

The only way the lines of 73 or 77 will come back is if we apply price control. Anyone who has seen a supply/demand curve knows if you apply a price ceiling less than the equibrillium price, there will be a shortage between the units demanded at that ceiling price versus the units the suppliers are willing to produce at that price.
I think that the oil companies are already doing this to us. I seem to recall that as the oil companies merged with each other, it typically resulted in refinery closing, which reduced the supply, and thereby increased the price. If I recall my college economics, should this price raising continue, an independant refiner / distributor would enter the market, increase the competition and supply, and reduce the market price.

Only problem is that the cost of entry into this industry is in the billions, and that high cost is keeping other potentially competing corporations out of the market.
Let the market determine what happens. When the gas price gets to $10 per gallon, maybe people will start to use hybrids with regenerative braking and at $100 a gallon, maybe we will start to look at alternative fuel.
True enough. I just hope that it's not going to have a severe depressive effect on the over all economy until it re-adjusts itself.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:40 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnybgood
That is tongue in cheek right? I mean Cat 3 is still a powerful storm. Storm surge was only 15' instead of 28'. That is still enough to swamp the city. I think we will see pics of the French Quarter with 10 to 20' of water.
Oh yes, totally tounge-in-cheeck

I just checked the station across the street. They're now at $2.71 for regular.
Yesterday they were $2.60something.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I simply love the logic of zoning. . . Make sure people can't live in "non-residential" zones. . . God forbid it undermine the overpriced housing markets and the tax dollars they funnel into the city. . .
Except it is totally wrong. Houston, for instance, has no zoning. Housing is cheap in certain areas and REALLY expensive in others. What it DOES mean is that there are lots of strip clubs in nice areas and strip malls in residential areas. Zoning, in California, may be a money maker (where ISNT the government there trying to fleece people?) but in other areas it is a nice way of keeping "The Landing Strip" from being placed next to the Church of Christ.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:57 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I paid $3.45USD/gal this morning for regular.

Ill prolly start biking it soon, im underpaid and gas will start getting crippling if it keeps going up. Its 14 miles each way. At least theres a shower at work.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

I believe there should be showers at work and mandatory bike days along with bike friendly routes. That will take care of many health issues with some of the obese people and medical expenses shouldered by us.
We have "Bike to Work Day" here in the SF Bay Area. http://bicycling.511.org/btwd.htm

Of course living here (Oakland at the moment) it's very easy to not own a car, but now I've gotten too far into Pcar/BMW ownership to quit my addiction. Gas prices are 3.09-3.15/gl. I don't use "regular", only premium.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:02 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm gas dropped $.05 from yesterday to today. Well here it did at least. reg was $2.65 yesterday and was $2.60 today. Premium went down quite a bit, i paid $2.84-5 for it yesterday and was $2.70 today. (same shell station)
Old 08-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Oil opened at 70+ dollars per barrell, trust me it is going to go up.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh, i don't doubt that Matt. I read this post then went by the gas station, I was expecting it to be higher than yesterday. Needless to say, I was suprised when I saw the sign.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:12 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Check out http://www.gasbuddy.com. Give you local gas prices for the last 12 hours. Could be useful, although I doubt that it makes no sense (no cents) to go too far out of your way, as long as you are avoiding the local highest cost station.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
Yeah, i just read about Hawaii freezing there prices, the oil companies are showing record profits, suppoosedly more profits than any other... Ridiculous

Mark
Sounds like commie talk to me. Whatever happened to the law of supply and demand down there?

If you can't afford gas, you shouldn't be driving.

Quick Reply: Get gas now