Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Products = Poor Service?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 01:03 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performance Products = Poor Service?!? -- UPDATE

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with them? I'm still kind of a newbie, and have been ordering parts from different vendors to check service, availability, time to get the item(s), etc. Most have been absolutely great (Sunset, Paragon, Vertex, I know there are others).

I ordered some stuff from Performance Products on 7/14, including a jack pad which was on backorder but due in a few days. The rest of the stuff went out on the 15th, and the jack pad separately on the 18th. I got the first package but never saw the 2nd. UPS website showed it delivered on my front porch. I called Performance the 1st week of August and they said they would start a trace. I called back the next week and they said one had not been started, but they would definitely start one. I called back last week and got the same story. I told him of my frustrations with having to call so many times. He told me he'd start a trace, so I took his name and told him I'd call back the next day to see if a trace was indeed started. My neighbors told me that UPS had called them about a package the following day and said they never saw one.

I called Performance again on Monday to see what was going on. They told me UPS says they put it on a neighbors porch. I again conveyed (nicely) my frustrations with their outfit (not him personally), in that I knew it was a UPS screw up, but on the two occasions in 20+ years of mail ordering that packages weren't delivered the vendor made it right ASAP and dealt with UPS off-line to resolve the issue. He forwarded me to an asst. manager (or someone of seniority). She said she would take care of it and give me a call the next morning. I called her yesterday afternoon and left a message asking her to get ahold of me. I guess I'm going to call again this morning and ask her (or someone) to cancel the order and credit my card.

UPDATE:
First off, let me state that I DO believe it was a UPS problem that started this all. I am 95% sure the driver screwed up and the package didn't get delivered. I won't go into the details, but he wound up changing where he journaled delivering.

HOWEVER, Performance Products has know this for a good 3 weeks now. A trace was completed, neighbors talked to, paperwork filled out/signed by driver and myself, etc all by mid-August. Performance has been compensated by UPS. I know this because one of the people I talked to told me, after a long conversation, "oh, I guess we did get something back from UPS on this". The last 2 phone conversations I had with the people at Performance, they told me they were crediting my account, and I quote "while we speak". After this 3rd week of no credit showing up I called the credit card company. Funny thing, and I swear I'm not making this up, she knew the company right away, said that she had even ordered from it in the past but hasn't done so after that because of the stories she's heard. She wouldn't go into details (I tried), but did say there have been disputes.

From what I can tell, they are OK if nothing in the transaction goes wrong. But it looks like if anything goes wrong (shipping/returns/wrong parts/etc.) - Good Luck!!! I won't be ordering from them anytime soon. Just thought I'd give everyone an update.

Last edited by mtnman82; 09-09-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a ups problem more than a performance products problem.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, I've never had problems with them. Nor have I really heard of anyone else having a difficult time.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like bad customer service.
I don't have a problem with performance per say...but have had the same kind of customer service from them. Non-responsive
Old 08-24-2005, 02:54 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

I agree, xs, it was a UPS screw up. But in the end, it's Performance who should be taking care of their customers. We, as individuals, aren't able to start a trace or anytihng like that with UPS - the vendor (i.e. Performance in this case) must initiate. It's all up to the vendor/shipper.

Finally got a message back from customer service and called her back. She claimed they were having trouble getting through to my number yesterday (no one else had problems and they got through just fine this morning). Said it takes up to 7-10 days for UPS to get back to them and they're still waiting. She did finally offer get started on getting another one out to me, but I told her at this point I'd just like to get my $ back, which she said she would do. Now I'm just hoping that gets done .....
Old 08-24-2005, 03:31 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had any problems with them...

Did you beat the neighbor with an axle when you found out who got it and didn't tell you?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:34 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I have never understood the neighbor drop off thing....what are we in the 50's I would not trust my neighbors not to shoot me in my sleep if they saw a brinks truck drive up.

Ok a little extreme but it aint like it used to be

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2005, 03:37 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I've never had any issues with Performance Products, beyond half the time I order from them something ends up being back-ordered. But since nothing has evern been a time-sensitive item, it hasn't been an issue.

BB.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:29 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Question

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I agree, xs, it was a UPS screw up. But in the end, it's Performance who should be taking care of their customers. We, as individuals, aren't able to start a trace or anytihng like that with UPS - the vendor (i.e. Performance in this case) must initiate. It's all up to the vendor/shipper.

Finally got a message back from customer service and called her back. She claimed they were having trouble getting through to my number yesterday (no one else had problems and they got through just fine this morning). Said it takes up to 7-10 days for UPS to get back to them and they're still waiting. She did finally offer get started on getting another one out to me, but I told her at this point I'd just like to get my $ back, which she said she would do. Now I'm just hoping that gets done .....
who you kidding?

the tracking number that is generated when they ship is available to you from pp, all you have to do is ask, go to the ups site, enter and track it.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:05 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Yes, bear, you can 'track' at the UPS site with the tracking #, but if the package is missing you'll need to start a 'trace', and only the shipper can start a 'trace' for a missing package. It's after I got the tracking # from Performance that I tracked it and found out it was missing (i.e. supposedly had been delivered some time before that). The UPS driver who delivers in my area just called me to tell me he's going 'harass' my neighbors about it (his words). I asked him not to, and told him I'd all ready spoke with several of them. What a mess!!!

Sounds like Performance is generally OK, as long as something doesn't go wrong. I didn't want to bash (which is why I didn't mention the peoples names I dealt with), and was truly just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with them. Thanks everyone - happy driving!!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:36 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

agreed.

i got some stuff a while back and had no problems with them.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:54 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah ive ordered from them a few times and have had great experiences each time.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the exact same thing happen with a order from performance but i contacted ups directly and within two days they determined it had been ship to a house in the wroung county and delivered it to me the next day when it was recovered and refunded my shiping costs. Oh it was jack stand pads to actually
Old 08-25-2005, 10:56 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone know the size of a rear view mirror mount? It's the size of a quarter. PP put it in a box the size of a VCR. They put their "free" magazine along with it. It cost me US13.65 to ship. I wasn't very happy and haven't bought anything from them since.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:32 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know about delivery problems but I do know that,
Performance Products = Ridiculously high prices

Example - a rebuilt 968 starter from PP is $400+ and a $70 core charge.
From Sunset the same part was $95 with a $30 core charge

Quick Reply: Performance Products = Poor Service?!?