Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My clutch pedal makes a clicking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:15 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default My clutch pedal makes a clicking noise?

It just started doing it today, when you first push it in during the clutch free play, I get a click click click as I push. I crawled in the foot well and pushed it in a few times, listening, and it seems like it is clicking from the lower part of the pedal, and not up inside the dash area, but I could be wrong. It's VERY annoying, and i'm just wondering if I just need to spay WD40 on anything, or if something actually broke.

Thanks as always,

Old 08-23-2005, 09:27 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on your clutch?
Possibly a bad throwout bearing?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

It's a spring center clutch with only 20k on it, but the clicking is coming from the drivers foot well pedal assembly someplace, I think I can even feel it on my foot.
____
Pat
86 944
95 Audi 90 CS
Old 09-11-2018, 10:48 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clicking noise on clutch pedal

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
It's a spring center clutch with only 20k on it, but the clicking is coming from the drivers foot well pedal assembly someplace, I think I can even feel it on my foot.
____
Pat
86 944
95 Audi 90 CS
yeah I know 15 years later but maybe someone is listening here. Mine is doing same thing only when i let it out the last 2 inches or so after its already engaged. Click. Click. Click click. Click click. On every shift. I tried looking at it while pushing it but since I am not a 3 foot tall monkey. There is no hope at seeing what is causing it.

Anyway did u fix it or sell it?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I have an annoying noise coming from my brake pedal. I think the problem is the brake switch need lube or replacement.
The clutch pedal doesn't have a switch (unless perhaps cruise control uses one to stop cruise). The sound you are describing makes me think bushing or spring (pedals have return spring).
What I'd do:
REMOVE SEAT. Sorry but it's gotta be done.
Lay under and watch the pedal components to determine the source.
Lube or fix or replace the source of noise.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't use WD40. Use a can of lithium spray lube. The kind that sprays out liquid, but solidifies into grease. They will get into the bushings and linkages when it need lubrication. Just be careful the grease doesn't get onto the switch that controls the engine starter.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Default Upside down I will go

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Don't use WD40. Use a can of lithium spray lube. The kind that sprays out liquid, but solidifies into grease. They will get into the bushings and linkages when it need lubrication. Just be careful the grease doesn't get onto the switch that controls the engine starter.
maybe its time to finally pull the seat out of this thing and back myself under there and make sure its nothing serious. Its just started and I only drive it once a week or so. Thanks for lithium spray tip. I do have some of that for my headlight popup mechanism and garage door rollers so will check if anything is sticking first. Maybe something loose too I hope. Usually its something simple but annoying on these cars

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

For the record: I adjusted my clutch pedal and was able to reach in and around with the seat installed. I'm 6'2". The hard part isn't getting under; it's actually getting back OUT. That was a funny scene!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:10 AM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Default Still confused

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
For the record: I adjusted my clutch pedal and was able to reach in and around with the seat installed. I'm 6'2". The hard part isn't getting under; it's actually getting back OUT. That was a funny scene!
yes getting back out is the hard part indeed! I did not pull the seat. I was able to remove that black plastic kick panel thingy after about 20 mins and 3 times up and down to find wrenches and sockets. Its 8mm on the 3 bolts for those interested in pulling that cover. So its not the switch on clutch for ignition or cruise or whatever that switch does because its further down on push of pedal and actually its only a click on the pedal return back up about 2 inches from top but not yet contacting that switch.

So more of an earnt earnt click and earnt earnt click with each gear shift as clutch goes to floor and back up to top.

Nothing loose in there and spring is new blue With plastic bushings and all ok. in fact all looks brand new up there wires and alll metal for a car with 130k on it

as I shift with my hand I hear a clink clink under the car very very faintly. Maybe thats normal too? Clutch is nearly new according to measurements from that hole you can look into from below, so previous owner must have changed that rubber thing out at say 100k. Shifts real nice except for that damn downshift shudder thing to 2nd which I just never ever do after trying it once. Some freak thing on 944 S2s I guess. I thought the gearbox was gonna drop on the ground. That was five years ago and 30k ago now.

this click seems somewhat benign to me. Maybe I will just drive it and enjoy. Til some washer or bolt falls onto my feet?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

If you are just sitting idle in a garage & listen too closely, you'll usually hear some sort of noise; there's a lot of action made with that pedal. But, if you're outside driving at speed and still hear noises on top of the motor & exhaust, I'd say something ain't right.

This shudder you speak of: if, before your downshift, you cruised a little off-throttle, the engine may have cut fuel and re-applied when you completed your downshift (it cuts fuel by design off-throttle). This can result in a very harsh re-engagement, shuddering the whole driveline. Ugly but normal
Old 09-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Default Clutch click and S2 shudder

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
If you are just sitting idle in a garage & listen too closely, you'll usually hear some sort of noise; there's a lot of action made with that pedal. But, if you're outside driving at speed and still hear noises on top of the motor & exhaust, I'd say something ain't right.

This shidder thing you speak of before your downshift, you cruised a little off-throttle, the engine may have cut fuel and re-applied when you completed your downshift (it cuts fuel by design off-throttle). This can result in a very harsh re-engagement, shuddering the whole driveline. Ugly but normal
I have read some threads on this shudder while downshifting into 2nd. Maybe just sign of a newer clutch or possibly this cutting of throttle u speak of. but lots of S2 owners seem to experience it even if u blip the throttle to say 4K and hit it just right on way down. Also theres a shudder in the morning when taking off in first gear for about 3 or 4 stop signs. Then it just clears itself up. It just feels nothing like my last 2 944s or my 924 have ever done. Other S2 owners apparently have same issue. Where my last 2 944s would screech the tires and drop down if I did it just to show off trying to slow from like 60 to 30 quickly and turn onto another street. This S2 doesnt screech and feels like the entire drivetrain will break in half first. So I have not done it since my first few days owning the car. I guess it has more shifting finesse of an older man which I now am. Haha
Old 09-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I am convinced that none of these cars had any sorts of odd issues when new; they would have failed test drives!

I'd be curious if newsgroup posts from the 90s complained of this.

I would guess what we're seeing is common failure patterns due to age. AFMs are going, resulting in whack A/F ratios; clutch parts old; rubber bushings are brittle; bearings have play; etc etc.

In 1990, not one 944 derivative "pulled left on the highway" or "shuddered when downshifting in 2nd" or "hesitated first few km after cold start" and so on.

I don't buy it! Maybe all S2s exhibit similar aging or wear symptoms. I'd bet with a rebuilt engine, new AFM, new DME, new clutch, new trans, new TT, your problem would disappear
Old 09-20-2018, 08:42 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

:thumbupI would tend to agree when new they never did this. Thats why some think it is a form of one of the aftermarket clutch disks post rubber disk upgrade. If only we didnt have to send our kids to college.

Meanwhile this darn clutch click thing persists. I suppose it will be years before I figure this one out

Now that I reflect on this post compared to my brand new jeep that has its own creaks and rattles it sounds kinda funny. “My 30 year old car makes a little squeak noise now, Why does it do that?” LOL I do love these cars!

Last edited by Stevieporsche; 09-20-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

For all the aging issues, these cars are relatively well made and quality. For sure! I am reminded of this every time a colleague complains of a suspension or exhaust issue on their 201* whatever car
Old 12-24-2018, 04:11 PM
jeff84
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the switch for the cruse control so you dont redlinr while shifting gears?

Quick Reply: My clutch pedal makes a clicking noise?