Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Line alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering Line alternatives

I am looking at replacing the return line from my reservoir to return line (to rack), however, the rubber hose is the only part leaking. I would really prefer not to throw down upwards of $150 for the whole contraption.

My question is this, is there anything special about the hose that is specific to being in contact to PS fluid? I have a bunch of left over water hose, but I do not want to cut the compression fitting immediatly if there is going to be a problme with the replacement hose.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you mean the one with the cooling loop in it? Is it the return line from the rack and attaches to a hard line from the rack itself. #31 in this diagram:

If so, that's relatively low pressure and could be replaced with something of similar quality. Probably not water hose though - must be resilient to PS fluid (ATF).
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2005, 07:11 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very unlikely that water hose you have will take the ATF fluid. ATF fluid is in the same class as brake fluid and both are pretty corrosive and will chew up regular hoses - the rubber starts swelling, breaks down and will burst or start leaking.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:26 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTDT... (like Skip sez) Bruce ;]
http://arnnworx.com/ps_lines.htm
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
chapstic951
Pro

Yes, this is the hose. The upper hose, from the coil to the resivoir is what I am looking into replacing. What hose is resiliant to ATF?

Bruce, it was actually your site that led me to this post. You mention that "common hose" will work, but what is common hose. Since I have seen what ATF fluid can do to the OEM hose over time and how it can eat the $h!t out of a swaybar bushing, I want to use the best alternative out of the gate.

Originally Posted by Skip
Do you mean the one with the cooling loop in it? Is it the return line from the rack and attaches to a hard line from the rack itself. #31 in this diagram:

If so, that's relatively low pressure and could be replaced with something of similar quality. Probably not water hose though - must be resilient to PS fluid (ATF).
Old 08-03-2005, 11:08 AM
chapstic951
Pro

....and thank you for the correction on the PS fluid Freudian slip. I actually made the mistake of adding PS fluid when I first got the car....man that was fun to flush and replace with ATF...
Old 08-04-2005, 04:50 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Bueller....Bueller....Any suggestions on ATF resistant hose? Would silicone hose work?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:04 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No on silicone, for sure. That doesn't even like plain 'ole motor oil. It will bleed through the hose. People get away with it on intercooler connectors and I know it is standard practice but there isn't much oil in the interior. Ask them how it holds up after it has been coated for a few years and they go on boost.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

I will look later tonight for a number, brand or something. But I got the stuff at Autozone. I went in there one night when they weren't busy with the ID that I needed and the guy showed me what he had. There were several sizes and the guy made a point of showing me the different types, pressure ratings and thicknesses. I was surprised at how much they had on hand.

I'm not really a big fan of autozone, I almost refuse to go there but on this one time they came through. Bruce

PS Autozone has just about killed off the little mom & pop autoparts places. Kind of a drag, cuz I like them the best.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:00 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Chapstic....The hose I used (951) says "Power Steering Return" printed all along the hose
Sorry can't say what diameter as put the black spirral wrap over the hose - its in the neighborhood of 3/8ths ID though. Irritates me that I didn't make better note of it than that.

On my NA I used 9.5mm, I 'm guessing but I think it is auto trans cooling hose. It has been on there for 40 k miles now without a prob. Bruce

Quick Reply: Power Steering Line alternatives