Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive a Porsche? Are you a "target"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
SCRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
This thread is starting to get silly.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:29 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The math that folks do to call that a "70 MPH impact" is false. IF the two cars are of equal mass, it is 2 - 35 MPH collisions, or similar to TWO cars hitting a stationary wall at 35MPH each. Yes, the closure rate is 70mph, but since neither car has inertia in excess of 35mph it isn't like a 70 mph hit. IF one vehicle's mass is much larger, say an Excursion, Hummer or Locomotive, where the larger transfers it's energy to the smaller throwing it backward at a rate of say, 20 MPH, it might generate the G's of a 55mph hit.
The amount of energy in the accident is figured with overall velocity equal to 70 mph if the vehicles are of equal mass. Its the same as if one car was stationary and the other was going 70, or one going 10 and the other 60, or whatever other combination of speeds that equate to 70mph.

BWise
Old 08-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Just for conversation's sake..

The math that folks do to call that a "70 MPH impact" is false. IF the two cars are of equal mass, it is 2 - 35 MPH collisions, or similar to TWO cars hitting a stationary wall at 35MPH each. Yes, the closure rate is 70mph, but since neither car has inertia in excess of 35mph it isn't like a 70 mph hit. IF one vehicle's mass is much larger, say an Excursion, Hummer or Locomotive, where the larger transfers it's energy to the smaller throwing it backward at a rate of say, 20 MPH, it might generate the G's of a 55mph hit. I'm not college educated, so math/physics majors feel free to chime in to correct me.

Again, just for conversation.. No flames intended..
Actually you're very right. Fact is it can be a substantially 'softer' hit in the case where the vehicle is either spinning or still moving forward at all after the accident. Get going just 5-10mph and then SLAM your foot on the brake to see how much 'softer' the hit is if you're moving just 5-10mph after the impact.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
The amount of energy in the accident is figured with overall velocity equal to 70 mph if the vehicles are of equal mass. Its the same as if one car was stationary and the other was going 70, or one going 10 and the other 60, or whatever other combination of speeds that equate to 70mph.

BWise
You got me thinking when I read this....but I think you have to figure in the energy absorbed by the cars. If one car is 100% stiff and the other does all the deformation, then yes....it's a 70mph impact for the softer car, but if they deform equally then it's just a 35mph impact for both of them (70mph of impact / 2 vehicles absorbing it)
Old 08-02-2005, 12:23 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Scootin159
You got me thinking when I read this....but I think you have to figure in the energy absorbed by the cars. If one car is 100% stiff and the other does all the deformation, then yes....it's a 70mph impact for the softer car, but if they deform equally then it's just a 35mph impact for both of them (70mph of impact / 2 vehicles absorbing it)
Scoot, I think you've got my concept. Not only deformation, but where the energy goes, as in, does the car just plain STOP. If a locomotive going 35 MPH Eastbound with a CONCRETE bumper hit a car going 35 MPH Westbound, and the car ended up changing course 180 degrees and accelerating to 35 MPH in the opposite direction almost instantly, there ya got a 70 MPH collision as the mass of the "colidee" made a 70 MPH change in direction. If two cars nail head on, both 35 MPH and come to a dead stop instantly, there is nothing there other than 2 x 35 MPH impacts to a dead stop. Anyone else have input?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:34 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 2BWise

BWise
As I mentioned, I've got no formal education with this. I have no idea about your background or education. When you talk about figuring overall energy calculations, are you talking about physics or news reporting? If one is in to sensationalism, as the news often is, a 70 MPH closure rate is sensational headline grabbing news. In reality the energy of the impact is SPLIT between two objects, as in a 2 car collision. I once believed the logic you quote but since have been enlightened. I'd welcome the input of someone who has higher education in this department.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

that crash was not engineering. there comes a point in an impact where no ammount of metal or stiffness is going to help. any car that goes sideways and hits a pole at over 60mph is going to be destroyed.... he got lucky. if a 944 rearends another vehicle and the other vehicles reaend is now nowhere to be found..but you can still see your hoodcrest. thats engineering. not someone being lucky as hell to walk out of a car that curled itself around a pole.

ah whatever.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:08 AM
MTM
Pro

I think a head-on collision is more severe than two 35 mph collisions, because a normal 35 mph collision involves hitting something else that absorbs part of the energy, such as a tree or light pole or whatever. With a head-on collision, there is nothing else absorbing the impact energy except for the cars. It is like having each car crash into an infinitely strong object.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Yes, the cars will absorb energy, but at the instant that they meet, before anything begins to crumple, the energy of the system (for two vehicles of equal mass) is proportionally equal to the combined velocities; 70 mph. The velocities of each car maybe a lot less after they hit (not equal to 70), but the fact is that the energy involved during the collision is porportional to the mass of both vehicles times their COMBINED velocites. (.5*m*v^2)

. If two cars nail head on, both 35 MPH and come to a dead stop instantly, there is nothing there other than 2 x 35 MPH impacts to a dead stop. Anyone else have input?
This is not true because each vehicle will impart energy into the other, so it is not like each hitting a wall. The wall does not send energy towards the car (since it is stationary), but with 2 cars head on each at 35 mph each car will impart energy into the other in the opposite direction it was travelling.

EX: car A and B both travelling 35 mph in opposite directions and both of equal mass as you stated early.

A and B collide head on. A will send energy into B and B will send energy into A. The calculations of this show that the energy is proportional to the COMBINED velocities, therefore 70mph.

If A hit a wall head at 35 mph, the wall does not move therefore has no kinetic energy, no velocity, so the velocity of the system is only 35.

If you want a more formal explanation w/the equations I'll write it up because I don't know if this is enough.

BTW, quick resume: third year mech eng student, FSAE, and 6 months of professional automotive engineering experience.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:05 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

2Bwise, That is a good explanation. I started a thread in the OT about this, but I guess only members can go there. It is interesting the ASE guys and physics guys are on two different sides of it. I agree there definately is a combined energy of 70 MPH in the collision, but does it feel like, is it similar to, a 70 mph hit to either car? I don't believe so.

I'm going to copy your text in to the other thread if you don't mind, thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:10 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Check out the new thread I started in OT on this subject.
(edit: I'm sorry, I see you aren't a member so you can't check it..don't worry, OT is often not worth visiting)
Oh cruel! You cut so deep, Dan!
And I beg to differ. OT is my favourite #2 place! Everybody there is nuts! LOL
BTW: Is this OT?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:43 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

In response to 2bwise's explanation.....I think that I disagree with what he said but I'm not totally clear as to what he meant.

I assume that cars A and B have the same mass.

If A hits a wall at 35mph, its a 35mph collision and all of the energy is dissipated by the car because the wall just sits there.

If A and B get into a headon at 35mph, energy of the system (kinetic energy cannot be negative) is double car A hitting a wall (because each car has 35mph velocity), but there are 2 cars, so energy absorbed by each car is 1/2 the total energy of the system or the equivalent of car A hitting a wall at 35mph.

Resume: Well, my dog said I'm smrt.... and 4th year mech E + FSAE + 3 years of private tutoring by Albert Einstein using the time machine I invented. But regardless this is late HS/1st year college type of stuff.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MTM
I think a head-on collision is more severe than two 35 mph collisions, because a normal 35 mph collision involves hitting something else that absorbs part of the energy, such as a tree or light pole or whatever. With a head-on collision, there is nothing else absorbing the impact energy except for the cars. It is like having each car crash into an infinitely strong object.
Trees and light poles do not absorb enough energy to make a difference, they stand there and give you the finger and ask why you hit them with your 3000lbs car??
Old 08-02-2005, 02:47 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

I can't go OT with this

Someone post this for me please, or just reply here, whatever.

I've thought about it adrial and agree with you ... on the collision for two cars at 35 mph, but I was considering the general collision at any velocities. When their velocities are the same I agree it will "seem" like a 35 mph collision to both vehicles but this is a special case. Assume that the velocities are anything but equal and you will see that this should not be the case. The speed of the collision will "seem"/be different for each car when they are going different speeds.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

And that goes to show our little Porsches are still safe cars, and built very well.

Zach

Quick Reply: Drive a Porsche? Are you a "target"?