Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be able to buy my own 944 car at 16?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:10 PM
cwatson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be able to buy my own 944 car at 16?

Well, at the begging of the summer i thought i was making 7$ an hour and would barely have $2000 by the end, which I thought would be spent on a computer and a fraction of my auto insurance. As it turns out, im earning more than that, will easily have $2500 by the end of the summer, and I have been offered year-round work. Assuming they choose to pay me no more, I should have $8000+ each year.

Earlier this summer I was told I should be putting ~50% (of $2000) into a college fund and i would be paying for insurance and a little gas on my parents car. Now it turns out that, with a 944 and insurance paid, I can easily invest $2000+ annually on the college fund. (more likely $3-$4000). Yet my parents still are atiment against me getting a car. I am willing to pay 100% expenses and undergo 100% of the consequences of my actions.

On a practical scale, it is not reasonable to go without a car for the next two years. However, I think I should be able to have other priorities other than education. And I would like to be able to go out on my own accord and spend less time playing videogames.

BTW both my parents earn $125K+ and told me all these costs are nothing to them.

The availibity of their cars is incredibly uncertain because they are both doctors.

on a side note(or perhaps a better note), how much is this N/A worth?

'86 n/a

my question is: is it reasonable for me to own a car in my situation, and if so, what is the best argument to present to my parents?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Unless your parents are going to pay for maintenence, you aren't going to have the money for a 944; you should pay $4-5k minimum for a late model car (85.5+) and then insurance is something like 2K a year ( I know, my first car was a 944 at age 16, but my parents paid for it and all expenses). Maintenence for these cars is very costly and insurance is a bitch for a teenager.

All this being said I loved my 944 and thought it was a great car, but there is no way I could have afforded it by myself even if I had a decent job...

Get yourself a busy social life and your parents will start getting tired of you taking their cars or having to drive you around, they'll break down and get you a car eventually
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Keeping the 944 running will eat up 100% and more of the money you plan to set aside for the college fund.

Save every penny, then when you finish school buy a perfect 951 and you will be much happier.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Keeping the 944 running will eat up 100% and more of the money you plan to set aside for the college fund.

Save every penny, then when you finish school buy a perfect 951 and you will be much happier.
It'll also give you 4 years to find one you really like.

There are a few guys here doing school with a 944- hopefully they will chime in.

My .02 worth, save your money and be patient.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:25 PM
ZV
Racer

Buy a Civic.

Expect to dump around $2,000/year into a 944 to maintain it. Budget $4,000 for the first year to bring it up to where it should be.

Can a 944 be managed? Yes, but you'll be doing pretty much nothing but serving the car. Start out with something cheap and cheap to maintain. You'll be better off in the long run.

Aaron
Old 07-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm one of the few doing school with a 944...well, a 924S... same thing, no fender flares...

ANYWAY, I wouldn't be able to do it without my parent's support. thank god they pay insurance and most parts cost... I pick up the rest. It's a helluva great car, but like everyone is saying BUY A NICE EXAMPLE!!!

there is the old saying, "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche"...and it's true. there are lots of little things that will go wrong, and they add up...quickly...

I've had my 924S for 4 years... in that 4 years, including Purchase, suspension upgrades, and engine rebuild, I've spent over $12,000.00... I bought the car for $3,000.00.

However, I do DE's and other track events with it... as well as I've taken it on 4 road trips... 944fest being the best so far! Would I spend that kind of money again on one of these cars? HELL YES! would I do it now, or wait until after college? I'd f*ckin wait... no doubt about it.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute. Your parents told you no, so now you're asking an Internet forum? If we say yes, do your parents acquiesce?

If your parents say no, it's no.

Now, if your parents want to reconsider and need some info to make the decision, they can ask for themselves.

Sorry dude. Sucks.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:34 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honor your father and your mother. They presumably love you. They know you probably better than you know yourself. They have been around this world longer than you have, and they have learned more lessons in the school of hard knocks than you can probably imagine. If they think it would be better for you not to buy a 944 right now, they are probably right. You don't need to get confirmation from a bunch of strangers on the Internet who cannot possibly care as much about you as your parents do. Once you are an adult and you no longer rely on your parents to support yourself, you will be free to make idiotic choices without consulting their advice. Until then, take advantage of the wisdom right before your eyes.

There will be plenty of Porsches in your future if you play your cards right.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TD, well said. WAY better than me.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:36 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

im starting my 3rd year in college and have a 944 which i love. IF i could do it over, i think i would have saved more money up so i could buy a nice 951, but my NA is keeping me plenty entertained and putting a hurtin on my wallet. most of this is by choice.
i do all the labor in my backyard. i havent had any problems with it mechanically, (runs rich and chokes a bit at idle but goes away after a minute or if i get the revs above 1000.) and i have put a few hundred dollars into it already. brakes, certain tools, belts, etc. etc. and now new paint

but the kicker is, i have a backup vehicle, when i graduated i got a good deal on a 94 S-10. great daily driver, despite its hickups. its fully paid for and pl-pd insurance. i cant stress enough how much nicer it is to have a backup vehicle than to rely on a 20 year old porsche where you hear about horror stories all the time (even though they are very reliable with proper treatment)

so at 16 while i wanted one too, i waited it out. i suggest you do the same thing. buy a cheaper, practical, low maintenance vehicle, have it all paid for, and in a couple years treat yourself with a 944. there is always more information you can learn about them, and then when you go on your hunt, you will know what to look for, what questions to ask, and if you stick around here, maybe even snag a great deal off a rennlister.

as for the 86 you listed, i dont know.... says 951 transaxle, it has a 951 nose, so which is it? and it has a smashed fender, says another is included, but is there more hidden damage elsewhere? i bought mine from a delaer after someone traded it in (why i dont know) and i kind of regret that too. i consider myself lucky, but i think i paid a little much (not too bad since while i was filling out paper work, 2 people called and were inquiring about it) but i was not given as many details i would have liked. and was slightyl mislead on the condition. but thats where the extra $$ comes in. so look for one you can see in person, and set an amount you are willing to pay, and buy the best 944 you can afford, an excellent condition NA would be a better buy than a poor condition 951 for around the same price.

i've talked enough, im going to bed
Old 07-28-2005, 11:36 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if i would have been smart enough to put my money in school instead of a stupid car at your age, i could be driving a carrera C4S by now. Put your money into college and wait.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Clowd
Pro

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
Unless your parents are going to pay for maintenence, you aren't going to have the money for a 944; you should pay $4-5k minimum for a late model car (85.5+) and then insurance is something like 2K a year ( I know, my first car was a 944 at age 16, but my parents paid for it and all expenses). Maintenence for these cars is very costly and insurance is a bitch for a teenager.

All this being said I loved my 944 and thought it was a great car, but there is no way I could have afforded it by myself even if I had a decent job...

Get yourself a busy social life and your parents will start getting tired of you taking their cars or having to drive you around, they'll break down and get you a car eventually
Dude I don't know about your prices, I bought my first 944 when I was 16, it was an 87, and only $2900. Sold it a couple months ago for $1800... bought a 951 a couple months ago for $5500...
Old 07-28-2005, 11:42 PM
cwatson
Intermediate

I think there is some misunderstanding...I could bitch and moan and they would let me do it. Ussually we dont communicate approval, but I'm just making sure this is a reasonable idea. Its not that im forbidden from buying anything at all.

And paying for school is no problem, their initial intentions were to cover 100% even at $40K a year.

So you all say expensive matinence is needed to run a 924/944/951? What ussually needs to be matienced?

Its not like I need to run at optimal performance...
Old 07-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Clowd
Pro

Depends how lucky you get.. I've been very lucky with my cars so far, I've probably spent like... $700 at the most for both cars combined.. you just have to pick out a good one. Be prepared for a long, hard search.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:47 PM
IMB951
Drifting

I know it sucks to hear all this. But I am a prime example of what the guys are telling you about here. I invested over 7,500 in my 944S before I sold it, not including 2,000 in insurance per year for 3 years of high school. Pretty much all the money I made at work went into my car, granted it wasn't all maintenance, but hey I had to make her look good I'm not telling you not to get one, but if you do, be prepared to do what it takes to keep your pace in school, and at work to be sure you have the money for college. If you do get a 944, I would recommend making a calendar of dates that you set to have a certain amount of money by that date. If you see yourself falling behind your projected college budget, you can always sell the 944 and get a grip on your finances again. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Should I be able to buy my own 944 car at 16?