Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re-key door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:51 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-key door locks?

I've got three different locks on my car, one for the ignition, hatch, and glovebox, one for the drivers door, and a third (missing) key for the right door.

I've had no luck having a local locksmith rekey them, so does anyone know of someone who can rekey the door locks to match? I put a keyless entry system to get around it for now, but I'd still like to have working door locks.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:08 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Andrew,

Best you could do would be to take a set of tumblers and handles off a parts car. VW Key code is on the passenger handle

Don't loose those little tumblers, they will fall right out off the handle if you are not carefull!!

Locally Baldino's can cut a key using the new/old set of tumblers. Otherwise you are paying for a new set of cores. IIRC it is about 45 per tumbler set.

Baldino's may just be able to re-key yours but you will need to take it into one of their shops. Baldino's.com

Good luck!

Michael
Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Jolly
Intermediate

It is such a frustrating job to take the handle out of the door, then have to reinstall it that I would recommend leaving the door locks alone.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 PM
dermass
Instructor

Id do it if you were near Boston. I was in the same place as you, but now everything matches. Takes time and patience.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:34 AM
jim302
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the tumblers out of the door handles.
Put your ignition key in the tumbler.
File the brass sticking out until flush with tumbler.
Reassemble and use the ignition key.

Last edited by jim302; 07-21-2005 at 12:44 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Jim don't forget to explain My 944 isn’t very burglar proof

If you follow Jim302's post you may end up having the same problem as in the above thread.

It is the same core as 80's VW's and Audis. Pretty easy to buy, shouldn't be to bad to buy new. IIRC 45 or so but that is through one of the big 3. Baldinos would likely be a LOT less. They don't see a lot of older porsches, kinda like dealers , so they may not know till they get into the doors. Most of them SHOULD see that is the same.

I do think that I may try Jims trick on the glove box lock though.

Good luck!!!

Michael
Old 07-21-2005, 01:25 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Contact Anthony Tate here on RL. He does this as a hobby of sorts. Here's a link from a recent thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/214301-looking-for-old-locks-and-keys.html

Sounds like a great guy from emails with him.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:45 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

WHen you say 45 bux a tumbler, that is per door right? and would it be possible to get two door locks with identical keys? Its just that i have 2 keys, one looks like its never been used, the other looks like its been through hell and is bending as little now. The abused one is the only one that works on the idnition, passenger door and hatch, the fresh one works on gas cap, driver door and glove box
Old 07-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Jusii
Instructor

I actually did what Jim said. Re-keyed one lock.

First I removed the tumbler from the door handle and cleaned it, many times it's the dirt in the lock that makes it possible to open with the wrong key! When you open it, you'll understand why. Dirt can prevent the pins to not stick out when the key is not in.

Usually the pins are labeled with numbers, write down the order they are in.

After cleaning the lock, I put the pins back and inserted key that I wanted to use. Then I looked for pins, that were still sticking out, preventing the tumbler from turning. Then by trial and error, I switched places of couple of pins and as a result I had to file only one pin slightly.

You should also be able to find those tumbler pins from local dealer, VW would be one place to look at. Those pins looked exactly the same as in my ex VW Golf ('96).

There's also a good article about rekeying locks.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...lock_rekey.htm
Old 07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies guys. I've already taken the tumblers out of the handles and tried cleaning them to see if that would help.
I'm going to give Baldino's a try later today as I see they've got a shop a couple miles from where I work. No one wanted to touch the locks when I talked to them on the phone, but hopefully going into the shop with the lock in hand will work better. I'll try out another option if they can't do it.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

I went to the Baldino's just off of FFCP and 95, just past springfield. The kids didn't know what they were doing but there was an older guy Billy Coy, forgot I had his card. OOhps. 703-550-0700 and he knew what he was doing.

7000 G. Newington Rd. Lorton VA

Michael
Old 07-21-2005, 04:30 PM
faithless
Pro

I need to have the tumblers replaced on my drivers side lock, it takes the perfect touch for it to work....
Old 07-21-2005, 04:36 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I work out by the Chantilly Expo center and there's one just around the corner off 50. I figure I should make it there before they close at 5. I'll give Billy a call if they can't figure out what to do.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I just wanted to update this with my end results. They had to ship a porsche rekeying kit from Manassas over to the shop there before they could do it. I picked everything up on tuesday but didn't have a chance to put the cylenders back in until last night.

Overall it cost me $35 a cylender to rekey them and everything seems to works well. The passanger side lock works perfectly but unfortunatly i seem to have lost the plastic clip that connects the lock on the door to the cylender for the driver side. It should work once I get a replacement though.

Does anyone have a parts car they would like to take some lock pieces out of?
Old 07-29-2005, 03:12 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skene
I just wanted to update this with my end results. They had to ship a porsche rekeying kit from Manassas over to the shop there before they could do it. I picked everything up on tuesday but didn't have a chance to put the cylenders back in until last night.

Overall it cost me $35 a cylender to rekey them and everything seems to works well. The passanger side lock works perfectly but unfortunatly i seem to have lost the plastic clip that connects the lock on the door to the cylender for the driver side. It should work once I get a replacement though.

Does anyone have a parts car they would like to take some lock pieces out of?
So they replaced all the tumbler pins? Mine are worn to hell, so the lock takes some fiddling to open. If its cheap to replace all the worn pins I may just do that.

Quick Reply: re-key door locks?