Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fest is over ... now I've got a big decision.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:31 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The Fest is over ... now I've got a big decision.

944Fest was awesome and even though my car wasn't anywhere near the nicest car there I still had a blast. But now I've got disappointing thoughts of selling it. Its one hell of a car to drive when running, but I've only been able to drive it for 25% of the time. Its has no major problems but little things keep plaguing me (like not starting after work on Monday after 400 miles of driving over the weekend), so before I put it on the market I'd like to see if its worth selling or sticking with for a little while longer. So what would you pay?

85.5 944 about 112,500 miles
Purchased a year ago in good running shape, but with few records.
-Brand New:
Top end rebuild
Shift Linkage
Speed and Reference Sensors
Ignition Switch
Brakes

-Needs:
Tires
Odometer (broke a couple hundred miles ago)
A few rust small rust repairs
Rear hatch electronic release (new cable)
Reupholstered driver seat (small tear in the left side)

Could use a new paint job. Other than this the car is in decent physical and mechanical order. What do you thinks its worth or how much would you pay?

Bill
Old 07-19-2005, 09:33 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh, you know you love to drive it, there's nothing else like it out there. Work the bugs out and it will be a great car man. If you need help with it, let me know, I'm in Cincy as well, Cheviot area.

The Odo. is like a 20 min job and like 30 bucks for the gear with shipping-check out Rennbay

the hatch cable is another 15-20 min job, I may have one for cheap

The rust in these cars is hardly ever a big problem if you don't let them go too long. I need to do a rust party soon anyway. I have 2 spots, mom's has 1 or 2, just did Rock's car, Dales car needs it too, maybe a few others. Lemme guess, either behind the front wheel on the rocker pannel or on the driver's rear quarter in front of the wheel at the bottom?

I see no big problems here man, work out the nitpicky stupid stuff and have a good car for quite a while to come. That's just my thoughts, good luck
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I smell a Cincy get together.. Let us know when Bill !!!

The entire list shouldnt take more than a few hours (Except paint ) ant it can all be done by Local Rennlist help
(Someone send up the SOW Batsignal... )
Old 07-19-2005, 10:45 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh, come on, you got nothing... you sell that instead of fixing it, we're gonna "gift" you with a 2-Liter 924 and make you restore it!!!

Suck it up and get back to work!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Oh, come on, you got nothing... you sell that instead of fixing it, we're gonna "gift" you with a 2-Liter 924 and make you restore it!!!

Suck it up and get back to work!
I can fix all of the stuff, more like me debating what to do with the car through all the frustration lately. It seems that every time I fix one thing another goes wrong. Shift Linkage, three days after the fix all non vital electronics, three days after that fix timing belt roller bearing (stranded on 71 for 5 hrs), and then after a winter of sporatically rebuilding the top end, I finally get the car from my parent's house for the Fest and the day after the reference sensor goes. Just feels like I never get to enjoy the car because as soon as I fix one thing something else's gonna go.

Cincy guy's: guarantee you i hit you up for some help in the coming months.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:09 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that you have spent some time on the list you know what to watch out for on a 20yo Pcar, and you can get a jump on em'.

You have done some big stuff and there is some big stuff to go, and if this is a daily driver they can make life tricky. As I read your post I expected a series of uphill battles, as several listers have recently endured, but most of your list are "expected" items. As Andy has already demonstrated and the Fest amplified, one of the best things about Renn is fellow owners offering to help. Spring for the Renn membership and start enjoying ownership.

PS, you'll have to buy new tires to sell her anyway!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the support guys. Definitely making me feel it may be too early to give up on it.

Is there any way to "fake" a reference sensor signal to the DME so that I can at least move my car from my employeers parking lot.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

boy I type slow....there's already a GTG.....

Quick Reply: The Fest is over ... now I've got a big decision.