Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:53 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing questions

Two questions:

1. My 944 is a lifelong Minnesota car, and has been stored in a garage every night and during the long winters. Therefore the dash is in perfect shape with NO cracks...and yes, I'm proud.

I'd like to keep it this way. Do product like Armor All really work to protect against sun damage/UV rays, or is that just a marketing line? If you all could recommend a good product that actually works, it'd be much appreciated.

2. The clear plastic lens in front of the guages appears to have thousands of extremely fine scratches and swirls in it. It's clear for the most part, but in certain light you can see the haze these swirls produce. Is there a product out there that I could use to "polish" this haze out of the lens so that it looks more or less clear...like it did when new?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard nasty things abour Armor All.

My understanding is that "303" is purely a UV protectant and safe for plastics, but I don't really know what is in it. I have used it on my 944s, and did not pick up additional cracks in those times. On my burgundy dashboard, I often have some color come off on the cloth, kind of like oxidized paint when you buff a car. The 303 evaporates and leaves a slight film on the windshield, but I don't mind. It appears to be safe for the vynil in the long term. Quite frankly, though, if your car has survived this long with nothing on the dashboard, why not hold on to the "dry" new car look and just keep on keeping it in the garage and covered?

Regarding the clear plastic, a paint polish or designated plastic polish should work fine. I use 3M fine cut rubbing compound occasionally on my paint and on my lenses, and it takes care of the fine scratches if you do it right. On the other hand, there are plastic polishes sold purely for the purpose of polishing plastic rear windows on convertible tops, which might work better. . . .

Good luck,

Tony
Old 07-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Schlegel
8th Gear

I have a small detailing business in Wisconsin (I'm a mobile detailer), so I'll add what I can.

For the dash, it's kind of dependant on the look you want to achieve. For my clients' vehicles, I use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. You can use it on all vinyl and rubber, even leather surfaces (I use something different for leather, though). It leaves a protected sheen, but is not overly glossy and ugly (IMO) like Armor All products. It makes the dash look new and you can tell that it's protected, which it definitely is with lots of UVA/UVB protectans. Apply it with a microfiber applicator pad.

For the lenses/gauges, there are a couple of things you can do. First, use a light duty method to see if that will fix it right off the bat. This means using a product such as Plexus, comes in an aerosol spray can. Spray it to an applicator pad/microfiber towel, and work it into the plastic. Then let it sit a little bit, flip the towel, and buff dry. If the lens haze and swirling still persists (which it very well may), Wolfgang Concours just recently came out with a product, of which I have not tested yet but that gets good reviews, called Plastik Lens Cleaning (system). It consists of a polish (Plastik Lens Cleaner), glaze (Plastik Lens Glaze), and protectant (Plastik Lens Sealant). It's a little more pricey at $12.95 a bottle/each, so you may just want to get EITHER the Cleaner and Sealant, or the Glaze and Sealant. The Glaze will remove more minor scratches and hazing while FILLING in the rest of them, while the cleaner will remove more severe problems. Finish with the sealant for a look that lasts.

All of these products are available at autogeek.net. Other retailers also have them, such as premiumautocare.com. My advice is to order from an online retailer as they'll be the ones to have these specialty products. Plus, if you need any other fine detailing products (which every P-car owner and otherwise should have), just place one big order!!! Let me know if you're going to use autogeek so I can get you a 10% code.

No, I'm not affiliated with Autogeek, I just find them quite pleasurable to work with, as well as excel-detail.com (for the best microfiber towels), and Top of the Line (for super professional detail supply).

Most of all, Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

ditto on the 303.

I use Meguiar's #10 and #17 on my plastic headlight lenses. One is a plastic cleaner and the other is a plastic polish. These should work well on your plastic gauge lenses, too.

Ditto on AutoGeek., too. Great service. Autopia is also good. As a matter of fact, if you find a mail-order detailing supply company that gives less than outstanding service, run away. Same day shipping and excellent customer service is the norm.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am a mobile detailer. use the 303. it's AWESOME.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Thanks for all the information.

I have used Autopia before (I have a lovely buffer kit from them), so I'll place an order for some new goodies.

For the record, I despise ArmorAll. The smell makes me sick, and it's way too shiny for my taste.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does 303 leave a residue (coating) that would collect dust or is it more of a polish?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:22 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I only use Vinylex or 303 - (btw- no dash cracks here either 129k) put the armor all down and walk away...
Old 07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Paul C 944
Burning Brakes

I also use 303 and vynlex(by lexol)both do not contain harmful substances.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:27 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Just wanted to let you all know about some products I had surprisingly good luck with. I stopped at local Meguiar's pro products dealer last night rather than waiting for the mail...

1. Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner - A silicone free vinyl conditioner with UV protection. It smells like good leather and leaves a nice matte finish while bringing out the deep, black color of my dash and interior trim. I also used it on the black rubber spoiler on the back and my bumber guards and now my 944 looks like it just rolled out of the factory. Very good experience last night....we'll see how it holds up over the long haul.

2. Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - For the $5 I spent, I was really surprised at how well this stuff worked. I went in looking for the #10/#17 combo you guys recommended, but they were out of both so I took a chance. Very pleased. It did a great job of cleaning my dash lens and taking out the fine scratches and haze. It looks really nice and shiny now, though I do need to touch up a couple spots I missed. I don't know how good it would be for heavier problems, but it cleaned up my relatively minor haze very well. Well worth the price...

Quick Reply: Detailing questions