Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlister moving to Wash. DC / Northern VA

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

There are plenty of worthwhile P-shops in this area. IMA comes very highly recommended, although I personally use Auto Sportsystems which is just down the street from IMA. (They've been our family Porsche mechanics for a decade or so.) If you do go to them, tell 'em Brian sent you.

BB.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Chase72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
There are plenty of worthwhile P-shops in this area. IMA comes very highly recommended, although I personally use Auto Sportsystems which is just down the street from IMA. (They've been our family Porsche mechanics for a decade or so.) If you do go to them, tell 'em Brian sent you.

BB.
Brian:

Many thanks for the recommendation. Have you had your AC system retrofitted by chance? And if so, any idea how much for a 944? Now that I'm living on a grad student income (which means money is draining out), I don't have much in reserve for P-car extras...

A
Old 07-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Chase72
Racer

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Hey! Im in the area too. Im on the Maryland side of DC however. My S2 is in the same state. Needs AC, fast! Its just tooo hot to drive a performance "sauna." I was going to use IMA Motorsports as usual. They are in VA and do great work on 944s. Highly recommended.

We will have to have a fun DC/VA/MD 944 get together pretty soon. There's a bunch of us here. I have been out of town for a while with my band, and then i decided i needed a vacation REALLY bad. (the reason i havent been on rennlist much either since June)
We have a bunch of great PCA events coming up, and the Rennlist drives are always awesome in this area. You will have plenty of Porsche fun waiting.
Blue S2:
Hey there! Great to see you back on the 'list. How was your tour?

As I mentioned before, I'm going to have to work out the most economical solution here, since I have to balance P-car Maintenance on a student budget... and did I mention that I have little mechanical aptitude? haha... I am good at holding beers though!

Definitely up for a drive, though I'd prefer a cooler day where I can take off the roof and keep the windows down. For now, I'm an "Air 55" kinda guy...

A
Old 07-12-2005, 05:09 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to DC. I live in Georgetown, and now I am the proud owner of a 944. Luckily for you we have a plethora of great shops around when you need wrenching that is beyond your toolbox/skills. Roads suck in Georgetown itself, perhaps as bad as Boston in places. Drivers are worse BUT the Potomac Region PCA is awesome, not to mention the Dorkiphus group which is second to none. You will want to visit www.dorkiphus.com

TD in DC
Old 07-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Chase72
Racer

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Welcome to DC. I live in Georgetown, and now I am the proud owner of a 944. Luckily for you we have a plethora of great shops around when you need wrenching that is beyond your toolbox/skills. Roads suck in Georgetown itself, perhaps as bad as Boston in places. Drivers are worse BUT the Potomac Region PCA is awesome, not to mention the Dorkiphus group which is second to none. You will want to visit www.dorkiphus.com

TD in DC
TD:

Good to hear from you--been awhile since we've been in touch! I will be in the G-town area all the time this fall (wife jokes that I should just bring a sleeping bag and sleep on campus). Yes, the cobblestone roads are hell on stiff Porsche shocks (like Boston). But I have to say the drivers are less aggressive than crazy Bostonians (of course, I could be wrong).

Really looking forward to meeting other P-car drivers here... thanks for the weblink.

See you soon!

A
Old 07-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah we do have a few great shops, so you can really take your pick and see who makes you most comfortable. Seeing a half dozen 944/968 cars including racers at IMA sold me. Its usually 911s filling up Porsche tech's lifts. Great service, and average pricing, but its worth it for their customer relations IMO.

I think all i need is a recharge as well, because i never use my AC, and then when July rolls around and i need it...its gone. I might as well move up to the 134 or whatever it is. Im still on R12. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much. Yeah, i am a student here as well. Ontop of owning the P-car, i have the band, and i am partners in a record label/publishing company. So between developement costs at work, and the everything else...sadly the P-car gets final priority. I guess thats the beauty of a sports car like this once you have it. When you have, you can lavish it...and when you are tight you can put it on hold. Now if the ladies were sometimes so understanding...

Are you in PCA by any chance? Our region is holding an awesome 2 or 3 day event at summit point with track time, autoX, rally, concours, party, etc... Summit Point is only like 45 minutes from DC if traffic doesnt hit. Its coming up in August or September. Should be pretty cheap too.

On a side note, i wish it was touring time already! Hopefully next spring/summer. We were out of town mixing the CD. And then we went overboard, so we've been going back and fourth finishing up.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

HAHA...drivers arent THAT aggressive in the DC Area...they are just illegal or uninsured! Make sure you have good insurance!

(dont wanna scare ya though...)
Old 07-12-2005, 05:30 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chase72
Brian:

Many thanks for the recommendation. Have you had your AC system retrofitted by chance? And if so, any idea how much for a 944? Now that I'm living on a grad student income (which means money is draining out), I don't have much in reserve for P-car extras...

A
I haven't had my 944's AC retrofitted, but from the discussions I had about doing that to my Miata and having them vacuum/recharge the system, it doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal, although you'd want to get at least a new reciever drier. Honestly, I'd just say to top it off with R-12.

BB.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Chase72
Racer

Yup, I'm a PCA member, just finished my first DE at Lime Rock Park in CT a few weeks ago. I'm hooked... which stinks because now I have no funds...

Summit Point sounds like a blast--let me know when!

Insurance: any suggestions on good/cheap carriers? I was just poking around for prices on Geico & Progressive... Any ideas on coverage?

And where can I get R12 around here? At IMA?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:11 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

You can get it pretty much anywhere that works on AC systems. It just costs more than R134a.

BB.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:17 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

there is a 944 cup race at summit point this weekend ($20 entry fee) through NASA. It is a ricer weekend with Hyper Fest but there'll be some neat stuff and a bunch of 944 guys tooling around...i'll be pit crewing for the director of the series as i hope to be racing in it in the next couple years (plus they have what's called touring laps - 55mph laps for anyone to drive on at lunch which you follow a pace car)

anyway a lot of 944 owners and racers live around here and this region is the founder's region for PCA
Old 07-12-2005, 06:57 PM
9five1
Pro

Welcome to the area!

I am thinking engine install party (with beer and BBQ) sometime! Who's game?

~Eric
Old 07-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Well well, imagine this...just found this thread tonight.

I happen to be moving to the Fairfax area as well - starting my first full-time job post-college in August. I'd be game for anything fun.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:50 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to both of you.

Anyone in the area other than me considering going to the 944 Fest? If I go it will be w/out the P-car. The other is Waterfest which is this weekend as well in NJ. I think that it is a closer drive and a bit more realistic for me to make. Haven't mapped out the miles yet for that trip.

Michael
Old 07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9five1
Welcome to the area!

I am thinking engine install party (with beer and BBQ) sometime! Who's game?

~Eric

me me me me me me me me! I missed the Ned's outing so I am due a GTG.

Are the "Dorks" going to put a 944 thread on thier site an time soon?

Quick Reply: Rennlister moving to Wash. DC / Northern VA