Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to hell a good machine shop? (for a head)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 04:02 PM
unreal_news
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hell a good machine shop? (for a head)

I found a local machine shop that will work on the head. Ive heard that a good machine shop makes all the difference, but how can i tell. He mentioned that he has done porsche heads before, tho i dont know how many. So what can i go by? what kinda questions can i ask?

thanks,
-john
Old 06-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Big E
Racer

Try calling some local Porsche shops (IMA comes to mind) and see who they use. I used a place up in Burtonsville, MD when I had my flywheel resurfaced (yeah, not exactly a head job) that one of the guys at Tischer recommended. Their office was pretty much plastered with pics of drag cars they'd done work on, but the guy didn't blink twice when I said it was for a 944. They actually did it while I waited. Don't know how it came up, but when I was talking to Ivan one time from IMA, it sounded like he was familiar with the shop.

Burtonsville Performance Machine or something like that was the name I think.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about this other than to use a shop you know and trust. How much should one expect to pay to get a head machined? I'm sure it varies, but i'd like to atleast hear a range of prices..
Erich
Old 06-30-2005, 06:03 PM
unreal_news
Racer

E, thx for the suggestion. I actually just dropped it off. So hopefully Ill have another shop too add to the list (/me holds breath).

They said theyed grind the valves and check compression, and also mentioned that depending on how the valves wore or sat? that they may need to be replaced. Im a little skeptical tho, I was under the impression that no valves needed replaced unless they were bent. Lastly they mentioned if there wasnt room for the valves to be cut then they would need new ones, but the engine only has 80K on it and ive owned it since it had 55K, so i highly doubt its ever had a rebuild or grinded valves. Other than that, they seemed alright.... I guess ill find out when i get my head back.

-john
Old 06-30-2005, 06:06 PM
unreal_news
Racer

erich...

they said $150 for grinding labor
$40 for something and
$40 for something else
$36 for valve guides

so right now im at about $270. from what researching ive done, $300 is the average for having them clean it and getting it back in good condition. It would be more if you had to get valves. I seriouly doubt i need any valves, I think it would be obvious
Old 06-30-2005, 11:23 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

John - Thanks for the pricing info i appreciate it. Good luck with the rest of this job
-Erich
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Supachink
Racer

My brother had his 924 done at a shop somewhere on eisenhower ave. and i dont know exactly what happened, but apparently he got jerked around back and forth and wasnt happy with the job in the end... it also ended up taking entirely too long, i think two months or something like that to get it all back. Ill find out the name of the shop if i can, but i guess the only thing to say is stay away from them..
Old 07-02-2005, 01:25 AM
unreal_news
Racer

yeah, you can usually tell when things are going down hill... when the do, get your part/car out of there asap. I wasted 3 grand at gt performace several years back and its a nightmare ill have to recap on one day. hopefully, he's learned some professionalizm and when to say "sorry, i cant fix your car, take it somewhere else" :/
Old 07-02-2005, 02:03 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

which shop are you looking at?

Quick Reply: How to hell a good machine shop? (for a head)